    functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there an
    email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    outlook as distinct from outlook express.
    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003

  2. HATES COMPUTERS

    T.N.O. Guest

    "HATES COMPUTERS" wrote
    > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there

    an
    > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    Windows only?
    T.N.O., Oct 23, 2003

  3. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "HATES COMPUTERS" wrote
    > > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there

    > an
    > > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > > outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    > Windows only?

    Errr, yup. Got windoze xp

    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003
  4. HATES COMPUTERS

    AncalagoN Guest

    Try MozillaThunderbird, obtained from www.mozilla.org
    AncalagoN, Oct 23, 2003
  5. HATES COMPUTERS

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    HATES COMPUTERS wrote:
    > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there an
    > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    What's wrong with Outlook? Outlook would be a pretty close match to Outlook.

    Generally people turn to other programs for something different, a new
    look, better features etc. If you are so intent on finding a close match
    you may as well stick with what you have.

    --
    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert
    Bruce Flyger, Oct 23, 2003
  6. "Bruce Flyger" <> wrote in message
    > HATES COMPUTERS wrote:
    > > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there

    an
    > > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > > outlook as distinct from outlook express.
    > >

    > What's wrong with Outlook? Outlook would be a pretty close match to

    Outlook.

    > Generally people turn to other programs for something different, a new
    > look, better features etc. If you are so intent on finding a close match
    > you may as well stick with what you have.
    >
    > --
    > M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    I said close match, meaning, one that offers simalr functions. Geesh!
    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003
  7. "Bruce Flyger" <> wrote in message
    > HATES COMPUTERS wrote:
    > > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there

    an
    > > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > > outlook as distinct from outlook express.
    > >

    > What's wrong with Outlook? Outlook would be a pretty close match to

    Outlook.

    > Generally people turn to other programs for something different, a new
    > look, better features etc. If you are so intent on finding a close match
    > you may as well stick with what you have.
    >
    > --
    > M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    Just to clarify for ol' brucie, I should say an alternative to outlook.
    That better for you bruce ?
    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003
  8. HATES COMPUTERS

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:34:01 +1300, HATES COMPUTERS wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> "HATES COMPUTERS" wrote
    >> > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    >> > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is
    >> > there

    >> an
    >> > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match
    >> > to outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    >> Windows only?

    > Errr, yup. Got windoze xp

    Evolution is the closest match I've ever seen, but she don't run on
    Windows bud. It's a hard road finding the perfect PIM boy...

    Apologies to Speights ad haters :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 23, 2003
  9. In article <3f9753dd$>, "HATES COMPUTERS" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Flyger" <> wrote in message
    >> HATES COMPUTERS wrote:
    >> > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    >> > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there

    >an
    >> > email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    >> > outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    >> What's wrong with Outlook? Outlook would be a pretty close match to

    >Outlook.
    >>
    >> Generally people turn to other programs for something different, a new
    >> look, better features etc. If you are so intent on finding a close match
    >> you may as well stick with what you have.
    >>
    >> --
    >> M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    >Just to clarify for ol' brucie, I should say an alternative to outlook.
    >That better for you bruce ?

    The question remains valid ... If you have outlook now ... and you use
    it now ... why not stick with it ? This remains unclear ... and is a
    good question still :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 23, 2003
  10. "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:g6Jlb.2614$...

    <> wrote:
    > >"Bruce Flyger" <> wrote in message

    there
    > >an

    > >> What's wrong with Outlook? Outlook would be a pretty close match to

    > >Outlook.
    > >>
    > >> Generally people turn to other programs for something different, a new
    > >> look, better features etc. If you are so intent on finding a close

    match
    > >> you may as well stick with what you have.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    > >Just to clarify for ol' brucie, I should say an alternative to outlook.
    > >That better for you bruce ?

    > The question remains valid ... If you have outlook now ... and you use
    > it now ... why not stick with it ? This remains unclear ... and is a
    > good question still :)
    >
    > Bruce

    Bruce. Just because I use outlook does not mean to say that I am completely
    closed off to alternatives. I have used outlook for many years. I am happy
    with it. Having said that, I may be happier with an alternative. Or are
    you an old stick in the mud that wont move from what he knows thus cutting
    himself off from other, possibly better alternatives.
    HATES COMPUTERS, Oct 23, 2003
  11. HATES COMPUTERS

    steve Guest

    HATES COMPUTERS allegedly said:

    > I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there
    > an email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match to
    > outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running Linux.

    steve, Oct 23, 2003
  12. HATES COMPUTERS

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > HATES COMPUTERS allegedly said:
    >
    >> I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    >> functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there
    >> an email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match
    >> to outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    > Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running
    > Linux.

    I always resisted using an Outlook clone such as Evolution, but I started
    using it (Evolution that is) a couple of weeks ago and I won't ever go
    back. It is a fine piece of software.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 23, 2003
  13. HATES COMPUTERS

    steve Guest

    Allistar allegedly said:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> HATES COMPUTERS allegedly said:
    >>
    >>> I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    >>> functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there
    >>> an email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match
    >>> to outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    >> Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running
    >> Linux.

    > I always resisted using an Outlook clone such as Evolution, but I started
    > using it (Evolution that is) a couple of weeks ago and I won't ever go
    > back. It is a fine piece of software.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Yes.....I think of it as Outlook the way it SHOULD be.

    I use Outlook for work and Evolution for private....and I prefer Evolution.
    It's more user-friendly and things work the way you think they will.

    Outlook's maze of config dialogs are bewildering.

    steve, Oct 23, 2003
  14. HATES COMPUTERS

    pete Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    >
    > > HATES COMPUTERS allegedly said:
    > >
    > >> I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    > >> functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is

    there
    > >> an email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match
    > >> to outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    > > Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running
    > > Linux.

    > I always resisted using an Outlook clone such as Evolution, but I started
    > using it (Evolution that is) a couple of weeks ago and I won't ever go
    > back. It is a fine piece of software.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Calypso is free, but don't know if it has all the features you're after.

    pete, Oct 23, 2003
  15. HATES COMPUTERS

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Allistar allegedly said:
    >
    >> steve wrote:

    >>> Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running
    >>> Linux.

    >> I always resisted using an Outlook clone such as Evolution, but I started
    >> using it (Evolution that is) a couple of weeks ago and I won't ever go
    >> back. It is a fine piece of software.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Yes.....I think of it as Outlook the way it SHOULD be.
    >
    > I use Outlook for work and Evolution for private....and I prefer
    > Evolution. It's more user-friendly and things work the way you think they
    > will.
    >
    > Outlook's maze of config dialogs are bewildering.

    I count myself lucky that a) I use Linux at work and b) I have never used
    Outlook.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 24, 2003
  16. HATES COMPUTERS

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Allistar" wrote
    > I count myself lucky that a) I use Linux at work and b) I have never used
    > Outlook.

    I would think that if you havent used Outlook, your opinion on it would be
    somewhat lacking...

    I use it at work, and now(that I have O2k3) at home... and it is good...
    really good.
    When using Linux, I use Evolution(remarkably like{some say better than}
    Outlook), and well, it checks email, just like every other email client, and
    they all work(well usually), so no arguement with any of them.
    T.N.O., Oct 24, 2003
  17. In article <>, "HATES COMPUTERS" <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> The question remains valid ... If you have outlook now ... and you use
    >> it now ... why not stick with it ? This remains unclear ... and is a
    >> good question still :)

    >Bruce. Just because I use outlook does not mean to say that I am completely
    >closed off to alternatives. I have used outlook for many years. I am happy
    >with it. Having said that, I may be happier with an alternative. Or are
    >you an old stick in the mud that wont move from what he knows thus cutting
    >himself off from other, possibly better alternatives.

    I can't say that I really feel that applies to me ... having recently
    changed from windows 3.11 to redhat linux. YMMV of course :)

    Anyway ... try evolution. It looks very outlook like to me.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 28, 2003
  18. In article <_SMlb.2689$>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >steve wrote:
    >> HATES COMPUTERS allegedly said:
    >>> I have outlook. Not outlook express. Outlook. And I use all the
    >>> functions. Sticky notes, calendar, tasks etc. My question is, is there
    >>> an email client around, free of course, that is at least an close match
    >>> to outlook as distinct from outlook express.

    >> Evolution.....is an overt Outlook clone....but you'd need to running
    >> Linux.

    >I always resisted using an Outlook clone such as Evolution, but I started
    >using it (Evolution that is) a couple of weeks ago and I won't ever go
    >back. It is a fine piece of software.

    I'm having a few difficulties transferring my address book to it. Any
    hints ?

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 28, 2003