    Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program to
    get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?

    Rolf
    Rolf, Oct 11, 2008

  2. Rolf

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in
    news:48f0cf80$0$17878$2.net:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in & out
    > mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
    > specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
    > remain in the common SENT mail folder.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program
    > to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?

    How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

    tools->options->send
    and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
    Then click apply and ok

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 11, 2008

  3. chuckcar wrote:

    > How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

    If all one does is forward junk to the relatives, that is probably a
    good suggestion.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 11, 2008
  4. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    > > How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

    > If all one does is forward junk to the relatives, that is probably a
    > good suggestion.

    Would be all right - except it is my daughter who wants to organize business
    correspondence at her job. It might be practical to have the sent folder
    contain only mail sent to customers not on the regular list. But I'll look
    into the 'not-save' option, to see if it might eliminate the unwanted copy
    while saving in the desired folder.

    Rolf, Oct 11, 2008
  5. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Rolf" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in & out
    > > mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
    > > specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
    > > remain in the common SENT mail folder.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program
    > > to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?
    > >

    > How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
    >
    > tools->options->send
    > and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
    > Then click apply and ok

    This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy mail to
    contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be saved. If we
    create a group list for the other contacts we might move copies for them to
    the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep adding each new
    non-regular contact to that group.

    An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making all
    regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule stating
    that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for them.

    Rolf, Oct 12, 2008
  6. Rolf

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rolf" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in &
    >> > out mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
    >> > specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
    >> > remain in the common SENT mail folder.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of
    >> > program to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail
    >> > folder?
    >> >

    >> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
    >>
    >> tools->options->send
    >> and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
    >> Then click apply and ok
    >>

    > This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy
    > mail to contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be
    > saved. If we create a group list for the other contacts we might move
    > copies for them to the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep
    > adding each new non-regular contact to that group.
    >
    > An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making
    > all regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule
    > stating that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for
    > them.

    Well, if you want to do something like that, you'll have to switch to
    something like sendmail where you can write your own scripts. A basic
    freebie like OE simply isn't capable of that.

    http://www.sendmail.org/

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 12, 2008
  7. Rolf

    Kenneth Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:06:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
    <> wrote:

    >"Rolf" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Rolf" <> wrote in

    >>> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
    >>>
    >>> tools->options->send
    >>> and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
    >>> Then click apply and ok
    >>>

    >> This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy
    >> mail to contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be
    >> saved. If we create a group list for the other contacts we might move
    >> copies for them to the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep
    >> adding each new non-regular contact to that group.
    >>
    >> An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making
    >> all regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule
    >> stating that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for
    >> them.
    >>

    >Well, if you want to do something like that, you'll have to switch to
    >something like sendmail where you can write your own scripts. A basic
    >freebie like OE simply isn't capable of that.
    >
    >http://www.sendmail.org/

    Howdy,

    Why the comment about OE...?

    The OP is using Outlook.