    Or is there a better program that will do that, it only has to check for
    emails on bootup..

    Running Outlook 2010 and XP.

    William Brown, Feb 18, 2011

  2. William Brown

    Dave Taylor Guest

    William Brown <> wrote in
    news::

    > As I don't use Outlook 2010 for emails but have set it up for my Wife.
    >
    > Is it possible to get Outlook 2010 to log on and get emails
    > Automatically, or do I need to set up a task to do that.
    >
    > Or is there a better program that will do that, it only has to check for
    > emails on bootup..
    >
    > Running Outlook 2010 and XP.

    It should be doing it automatically on the period you specify when you set
    up the link to the account. SMTP, IMAP email account password and login
    stuff....

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 18, 2011

  3. On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >William Brown <> wrote in
    >

    >> As I don't use Outlook 2010 for emails but have set it up for my Wife.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to get Outlook 2010 to log on and get emails
    >> Automatically, or do I need to set up a task to do that.
    >>
    >> Or is there a better program that will do that, it only has to check for
    >> emails on bootup..
    >>
    >> Running Outlook 2010 and XP.
    >>

    >It should be doing it automatically on the period you specify when you set
    >up the link to the account. SMTP, IMAP email account password and login
    >stuff....

    Yes but with out running the program, it needs to get emails on bootup
    Automatically.

    William Brown, Feb 18, 2011
  4. William Brown

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , William Brown says...

    > As I don't use Outlook 2010 for emails but have set it up for my Wife.
    >
    > Is it possible to get Outlook 2010 to log on and get emails
    > Automatically, or do I need to set up a task to do that.

    Of course. Just copy it to the Startup folder (in the Start menu).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2011
  5. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:07:43 +1300, William Brown wrote:

    > Or is there a better program that will do that, it only has to check for
    > emails on bootup..

    Outlook 2010 is Micro$oft's Msexchange 2010 client. If you don't have
    Msexchange installed then there is no point in installing MS Outlook as
    most of it's core features will do little or nothing for you.

    You'll be better off installing something like Thunderbird. I don't know
    of any MS Windows based email client that will automatically "check for
    emails on bootup" - a user will need to be logged on first

    So you'd probably want to put that application into your "startup" folder
    in your start menu and just have that application set to look for new
    emails each time it starts.

    Boots, Feb 18, 2011
  6. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:51:03 +1300, Mutley wrote:

    > Depends if he wants to use the calendar function as well. None of that
    > on Thunderbird. That's the only reason that I use Outlook at home.

    Indeed. There is another application released by Mozilla that covers
    calendaring. MS Outlook is of limited value when not connected to
    Msexchange and as a result is not worth the money.

    Boots, Feb 19, 2011
  7. William Brown

    Richard Guest

    On 19/02/2011 7:52 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:51:03 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> Depends if he wants to use the calendar function as well. None of that
    >> on Thunderbird. That's the only reason that I use Outlook at home.

    > Indeed. There is another application released by Mozilla that covers
    > calendaring. MS Outlook is of limited value when not connected to
    > Msexchange and as a result is not worth the money.

    Worth it to me as all the sync tools for the OSS clients tends to suck
    somewhat because like most OSS developers are pigheaded stubborn morons
    who lack the skills to interact with the users in a meaningful way to
    make a well designed piece of software, unlike the commercial software
    which typically have a user experience team operating between the
    stubborn programmers and the users.

    Thats why the best OSS clients seem to be a direct user interface
    rip-off of the most successful commercial software.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2011
  8. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:14:38 +1300, geoff wrote:

    > Bollocks. I've tried them all, and Outlook does all functions of other
    > suites in an intergrated manner, and better.

    Translated: MS Outlook does things in the Microsoft Way, and as that's
    what I'm used to I struggle to use tools organised in any other way.

    If you want "integrated" why not use Mozilla - it's a browser, calendar,
    email client, website developer, all rolled into one package.

    Boots, Feb 20, 2011
  9. William Brown

    Dave Taylor Guest

    William Brown <> wrote in

    > Yes but with out running the program, it needs to get emails on bootup
    > Automatically.

    I have yet to find an exe that can do its' job without running in ram...
    Look into something like a special shortcut that runs in startup, syncs all
    and then exits. Command line arguments for outlook.exe

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 23, 2011
  10. William Brown

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:15:28 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > I have yet to find an exe that can do its' job without running in ram...
    > Look into something like a special shortcut that runs in startup, syncs
    > all and then exits. Command line arguments for outlook.exe

    Perhaps he wants to install an email server that will pull it's feed, and
    a POP3 server for his Asian bride to then pull the email as soon as she
    starts MS Outlook.

    Given how short a time there usually is between people starting a desktop
    computer and then logging into it I don't see any value in setting up
    something to pull email one time only as soon as the computer is started.

    Boots, Feb 23, 2011