    comes to me as:

    That[]s

    Does anyone know how I can fix this?
    John, Feb 24, 2009

  2. John

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:45:49 -0800, John wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
    > back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
    > it.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > That's
    >
    > comes to me as:
    >
    > That[]s
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can fix this?

    Easiest way is to format your hard drive.

    Dan C, Feb 24, 2009

  3. John

    Mike Easter Guest

    John wrote:

    > I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
    > back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
    > it.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > That's
    >
    > comes to me as:
    >
    > That[]s
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can fix this?

    The square (not your left+right bracket) is an indication of a
    non-printing character.

    The mechanisms for the occurrence of a nonprinting character are myriad -
    but basically revolve around a 'discrepancy' between the characterset used
    by one person and the characterset used by another.

    For example, if everyone used plaintext 7 bit ascii to communicate with
    each other and display, there wouldn't be any of those squares. Similarly
    if everyone used compatible unicode, there wouldn't be any problem; or if
    everyone used the same windows charset (which is probably what MS would
    like), then there wouldn't be a problem.

    When you use a MS office messaging client, you are using a very MS-centric
    app. When you use that to communicate with other people who aren't
    MSOffice-centric, it is possible for you to be the source of the problem
    on your end.

    There are several ways -characters - which to make the apostrophe of
    which you speak. The ascii one is to use a single 'dumb' quote, which is
    also used for the prime character also used to designate/abbreviate
    feet/foot. There is also the glyph which is the single quote which comes
    in a right and left version.

    If one party is trying to use a character, such as a right single quote
    glyph, while the other party can't display that, the result is going to be
    the nonprinting square.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 24, 2009
  4. John

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/orkXP/HA011364421033.aspx
    VanguardLH, Feb 24, 2009
  5. John

    VanguardLH Guest

    John wrote:

    > Ok - here is some more information.
    >
    > I send a message like this to a person who uses Yahoo mail.
    >
    > I'm going golf.
    >
    > When the person reads the mail on their side it looks fine. However,
    > when they reply to my email, the message comes back like this:
    >
    > I[]m going golf

    Apparently this problem occurs with the same sender. Did you ever ask
    that person what they use for an e-mail client and what encoding it uses
    (you could also check by looking at the headers).
    VanguardLH, Feb 24, 2009