Outlook 2003 will not close down !

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rjsinger, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    I installed Office Pro and now when I use Outlook 2003 and try to shut it
    down with the "x" in the right top corner of the screen the program
    disappears but the icon stays in the task bar (lower right) and the only way
    I can get it to come back up is to do a control ALT-Delete and shut Outlook
    down and it may be running several times and you have to delete them all
    before it will open again. if you double click the task bar icon it tells
    you something about exchange-server that I can not find and then Outlook
    wants to start in safe mode for me to fix it and I don't know what to fix.
    I need help please!!

    (Message with double click on Icon in task bar)
    Outlook is not responding. If you are using an exchange server email
    account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking on the Outlook
    icon in the notifaction area, and the clicking cancel server request on the
    shortcut menu.

    (Message after Control ALT-Delete and ending all outlooks)
    Outlook failed to start correctly last. Starting out look in safe mode will
    help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start
    the program. Some funtionality may disabled in this mode. do you want to
    start outlook in safe mode? yes or no

    rjsinger, Aug 23, 2005

  2. rjsinger

    trout Guest

    rjsinger wrote:

    > I installed Office Pro and now when I use Outlook 2003 and try to
    > shut it down with the "x" in the right top corner of the screen the
    > program disappears but the icon stays in the task bar (lower right)
    > and the only way I can get it to come back up is to do a control
    > ALT-Delete and shut Outlook down and it may be running several times
    > and you have to delete them all before it will open again. if you
    > double click the task bar icon it tells you something about
    > exchange-server that I can not find and then Outlook wants to start
    > in safe mode for me to fix it and I don't know what to fix. I need
    > help please!!
    >
    > (Message with double click on Icon in task bar)
    > Outlook is not responding. If you are using an exchange server email
    > account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking on the
    > Outlook icon in the notifaction area, and the clicking cancel server
    > request on the shortcut menu.
    >
    > (Message after Control ALT-Delete and ending all outlooks)
    > Outlook failed to start correctly last. Starting out look in safe
    > mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to
    > successfully start the program. Some funtionality may disabled in
    > this mode. do you want to start outlook in safe mode? yes or no

    I guess question #1 would be: are you *using* an exchange server
    email account? And did you use Outlook before installing Office Pro?
    --
    First things first...

    trout, Aug 24, 2005

  3. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    1) I have no idea if I am on, in, around, contected to an Exchange Server!
    2) I used Outlook 2002 but I uninstalled it when I installed Office Pro
    2003.

    rjsinger, Aug 24, 2005
  4. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    My email accounts are Pop 3 and stmpt (or what every) with Comcast.net and I
    have two accounts and both are set the same as they were in Outlook 2002 and
    they worked.

    rjsinger, Aug 24, 2005
  5. rjsinger

    FML Guest

    rjsinger wrote:
    > 1) I have no idea if I am on, in, around, contected to an Exchange Server!
    > 2) I used Outlook 2002 but I uninstalled it when I installed Office Pro
    > 2003.

    When you installed Outlook, did you choose the Exchange install versus
    the Internet Mail install?

    FML, Aug 24, 2005
  6. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    That I do not know what should I do repair or re-install Office to correct
    this if I did?

    rjsinger, Aug 24, 2005
  7. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    once open and closed it will not re-open unless you first remove all
    instances of it in the Task Manager then it will open again.

    rjsinger, Aug 24, 2005
  8. rjsinger

    FML Guest

    rjsinger wrote:
    > That I do not know what should I do repair or re-install Office to correct
    > this if I did?

    Do you have e-mail/contacts/calendar entries in this install of Outlook
    that you want to save??

    FML, Aug 24, 2005
  9. rjsinger

    rjsinger Guest

    Yes, I want to save it all!!!

    rjsinger, Aug 24, 2005
  10. rjsinger

    FML Guest

    rjsinger wrote:
    > Yes, I want to save it all!!!

    Then the first thing to do is download and install the MS Outlook backup
    ad-in:

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en>

    *Read the docs* and learn how to use it. Once you have a good backup,
    you can uninstall and reinstall Outlook making sure you choose the
    Internet Mail option. Then you restore your backup (after having created
    an identical account in the new install).

    This may or may not fix the problem but at least your data will be safe.

    FML, Aug 24, 2005
  11. rjsinger

    Ed Guest

    rjsinger wrote:

    > Yes, I want to save it all!!!

    Yep mine did that, it just kept minimising itself and locking up...
    another brilliant piece of kit from micro$oft.

    Ed, Sep 16, 2006