Outlook 2003 Rules Have to be Applied Manually

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hey,

    I created a few rules to move email from certain contacts to specific
    folders. These rules will sometimes work fine, but more often than not I
    will have to manually select and apply them. Since I have so many of
    them, manually checking the box for each rule is very time consuming.

    I have the same version of Outlook at home and there seems to be no
    problem. The rules are applied when sending and receiving. Problem
    didn't exist in Outlook 2002, either.

    I have looked for information about this problem and it seems that this
    bug is more or less "common," but I couldn't find a solution.

    Does someone know of a workaround? A patch?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Tom, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Tom wrote:

    > Does someone know of a workaround? A patch?

    Do you have each rule set to "and stop processing further rules"?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:26:35 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    | Do you have each rule set to "and stop processing further rules"?

    No, I have the following "conditions" set for moving emails that come
    through to different addresses:

    Through the specified account -> Move it to the specified folder. No
    exceptions and rule is turned on.

    These "conditions" are for moving emails from certain people:

    From people or distribution list -> Move it to the specified folder. No
    exceptions and rule is turned on.

    The rules will often work when I first start Outlook and manually send
    and receive. ("Schedule an automatic send/receive" is turned off.)

    Tom, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Tom

    Guest

    This doesn't help much but I've had problems with rules in Outlook 2003
    as well. I imported them from 2002. Most are to move emails for
    different email accounts to various Outlook folders. They worked fine
    in 2002 but seem to do as they please in 2003. Even creating new ones
    doesn't work.
    A search on the net showed me a number of people experiencing the same
    problem with no real resolution.
    Just passing along to let you know you are not alone in your difficulty
    with rules in Outlook 2003.

    Tom wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I created a few rules to move email from certain contacts to specific
    > folders. These rules will sometimes work fine, but more often than not I
    > will have to manually select and apply them. Since I have so many of
    > them, manually checking the box for each rule is very time consuming.
    >
    > I have the same version of Outlook at home and there seems to be no
    > problem. The rules are applied when sending and receiving. Problem
    > didn't exist in Outlook 2002, either.
    >
    > I have looked for information about this problem and it seems that this
    > bug is more or less "common," but I couldn't find a solution.
    >
    > Does someone know of a workaround? A patch?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom.

    , Nov 21, 2006
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On 21 Nov 2006 10:11:56 -0800, wrote:

    | This doesn't help much but I've had problems with rules in Outlook 2003
    | as well. I imported them from 2002. Most are to move emails for
    | different email accounts to various Outlook folders. They worked fine
    | in 2002 but seem to do as they please in 2003. Even creating new ones
    | doesn't work.
    | A search on the net showed me a number of people experiencing the same
    | problem with no real resolution.
    | Just passing along to let you know you are not alone in your difficulty
    | with rules in Outlook 2003.

    I appreciate your input. I too have seen others with same problem but no
    solutions.

    Tom, Nov 22, 2006