    never emptied it.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:38:02 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >Does anyone know if, in the 2002 or 2003 versions of MS Outlook, there
    >is a way to empty the Deleted folder when it gets to a certain size,
    >number of messages, or even just periodically? I just found my wife's
    >computer with 1,000 + message in her deleted items folder because she'd
    >never emptied it.

    Do you mean something like,

    Help / Microsoft Outlook Help
    search for - empty deleted items
    returns results such as

    Turn on or off automatic emptying of the Deleted Items folder
    (with an option Warn before permanently deleting items )

    Save space on your computer while you use Outlook
    (see Archive or delete old items)

    Delete old items automatically
    (see
    To specify when items should be deleted, enter a number in the months
    box.
    To have items automatically deleted, click Permanently delete old items.
    )

    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >-S-

    Me

    why?, Nov 29, 2006

  3. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:38:02 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know if, in the 2002 or 2003 versions of MS Outlook, there
    >>is a way to empty the Deleted folder when it gets to a certain size,
    >>number of messages, or even just periodically? I just found my wife's
    >>computer with 1,000 + message in her deleted items folder because
    >>she'd
    >>never emptied it.

    > Do you mean something like,

    OK, I'll bite. I looked at the help before, and again just now, and I
    don't find the answer to my question. None of the help items that come
    up address my first question, which is limiting the size of the Deleted
    folder. I don't want it emptied every time she quits Outlook, just when
    it gets to xxx messages, or every yyy days, or when the folder size
    reaches zzz bytes. If you can find that in the help file, please tell
    me where.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Nov 30, 2006
  4. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:33:03 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    How hard did you think this was going to be? You could have done this
    yourself.

    >> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:38:02 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know if, in the 2002 or 2003 versions of MS Outlook, there
    >>>is a way to empty the Deleted folder when it gets to a certain size,
    >>>number of messages, or even just periodically? I just found my wife's
    >>>computer with 1,000 + message in her deleted items folder because
    >>>she'd
    >>>never emptied it.

    >> Do you mean something like,

    >OK, I'll bite. I looked at the help before, and again just now, and I

    Then say so.

    Ah well periodically counts for closing OL :) each time.

    >don't find the answer to my question. None of the help items that come
    >up address my first question, which is limiting the size of the Deleted
    >folder. I don't want it emptied every time she quits Outlook, just when

    That would most likely be an OL / Office VBA macro, to actually measure
    something like size / number of messages.

    >it gets to xxx messages, or every yyy days, or when the folder size
    >reaches zzz bytes. If you can find that in the help file, please tell
    >me where.

    <big snip> Start with something like

    www.google.com 5 seconds to check a couple of posts, in the general
    direction.

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_21794187.html
    Hello guys !! I need to delete or move from my inbox to the trash bin
    or just out of outlook all my emails except those with today's date.
    How can I do this?
    Thanks

    Answer -

    Comment from BlueDevilFan
    Date: 03/29/2006 03:05PM PST
    Comment

    Greetings, Mighty_Ed.

    Here's a script that deletes everything in the Inbox that's more than 24
    hours old. We can run this manually, by tthe click of a button, or
    automatically (e.g. every time Outlook starts or is shutdown). Let me
    know what you're preference is and we'll take it from there.

    Sub DeleteAllMailNotReceivedToday()
    Dim olkInbox As Outlook.Items, _
    olkItem As MailItem, _
    intIndex As Integer
    Set olkInbox =
    Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items
    For intIndex = olkInbox.Count To 1 Step -1
    Set olkItem = olkInbox.Item(intIndex)
    If DateDiff("h", olkItem.ReceivedTime, Now()) > 24 Then
    olkItem.Delete
    End If
    Next
    Set olkInbox = Nothing
    Set olkItem = Nothing
    End Sub

    All you need to change is the parameter in
    If DateDiff("h", olkItem.ReceivedTime, Now()) > 24 Then
    for a message / message size count.

    There are also instructions on how to make it run at startup.

    If you need to know the other parameters, back to www.google.com

    Places to start, 1st hit google, 1 -2 seconds
    http://www.outlookcode.com/
    OutlookCode.com is a meeting place for people who want to make Outlook
    work harder for

    Outlook objects
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../off2000/html/oltocobjectmodelapplication.asp
    may be a bit tough.

    However there are many VBA / Outlook code sites and also google for
    outlook mvp , also check the vba and outlook newsgroups.

    Most likely someone had done this before or very close.

    Me

    why?, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Short answer to my question - you can't.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Dec 1, 2006
  6. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:56:54 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >Short answer to my question - you can't.

    Wrong answer YOU can't. If the macro provided can delete mail older than
    24hours it's easy to change it for a different number of hours.

    Besides why would I want to use OL?

    Your 1st post mentioned 'or even just periodically' the macro provided
    at running as autostart and set to, 120 hours in stead of 24 will
    clearout old mail over a certain age periodically.

    If 1 property OL knows about is
    olkItem.ReceivedTime
    then there must be other properties, listed in the OL VBA reference at
    MS.

    The same poster of that macro has posted quite a few other OL macros in
    the experts-exchange.

    Sounds like you haven't even bothered to look at any OL MVP / VBA site.

    www.google.com
    Hey, Scripting Guy! How Can I Get Total Size and Number of Items ...
    How Can I Get Total Size and Number of Items in an Outlook Folder? ...
    Thats because there is no Size property that tells us the size of a
    folder; instead, ...

    Oh look you have a delete macro, how to run at startup and something to
    read in a scripting size / items in a folder.

    >-S-

    >> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:33:03 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
    >>
    >> How hard did you think this was going to be? You could have done this
    >> yourself.
    >>
    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_21794187.html
    >> Hello guys !! I need to delete or move from my inbox to the trash bin
    >> or just out of outlook all my emails except those with today's date.
    >> How can I do this?
    >> Thanks

    <snip>

    >> However there are many VBA / Outlook code sites and also google for
    >> outlook mvp , also check the vba and outlook newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Most likely someone had done this before or very close.
    >>
    >> Me

    Me

    why?, Dec 1, 2006
  7. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:56:54 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >Short answer to my question - you can't.

    Just in case, that's the wrong answer - You can't.

    Stop moaning and just making making up answer, you haven't done any work
    on this, you didn't even try. 2nd Google search, 2 minutes total. YOu
    are really lazy.

    MSDN Technet Script Center.

    How Can I Get Total Size and Number of Items in an Outlook Folder?
    <snip>
    After connecting to Outlook we next need to bind to the Inbox and
    determine the number of items found there. Thats easy; in fact, it takes
    just three lines of code:

    Set objFolder = objNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
    Set colItems = objFolder.Items
    Wscript.Echo "No. of items in Inbox: " & colItems.Count

    As it turns out, Outlook collections all include a Count property, which
    tells us the number of items in the collection: in order to know the
    number of items in the Inbox all we have to do is echo the value of the
    Count property. And thats exactly what we do in line 3.
    <snip>

    Needless to say, retrieving the number of items in a folder is easy;
    determining the total size of the folder is a tiny bit more complicated.
    Thats because there is no Size property that tells us the size of a
    folder; instead, we have to calculate the size ourselves.

    Hey, relax: its not that big of a deal. Each item in the Inbox (e.g.,
    each mail message) does have a Size

    After we've walked through the entire collection well know the size of
    the Inbox folder.

    All we have to do now is set the value of intSize back to 0 and then
    start the process all over again, this time by binding to the Sent Items
    folder:

    Set objFolder = objNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderSentMail)

    Etc. etc. etc.

    Granted, a script like this one lacks the personal touch of a
    threatening email from the Exchange admin. On the other hand, it does
    give you slightly more precise information than too big and too many.

    why?, Dec 1, 2006