Outlook 2003 and XP x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Simon Meacham, May 14, 2006.

  1. Hello all - Thanks to the improving driver support for XP x64, I recently
    made the switch from Wintel 32 bit to AMD X2 x64.

    My experience generally is great, however I've noticed an odd thing
    happening with Outlook 2003 (32 bit) I hoping someone can help me with.

    I connect to my Office with Cached Exchange mode, over https via an Exchange
    Proxy on the outside of my company's intranet, using Basic Authentication
    (not NTLM). When I crank up Outlook, I sign into my Exchange Server and all
    is well.

    Sometime later however (usually at least an hour), the password dialog pops
    up again, and despite entering my password fine, authentication fails.
    Closing Outlook and restarting it fixes the problem (until the
    authentication box pops up again an hour later) - wash... rinse... repeat...

    Has anyone seen anything like this, and better still do you know of a fix?

    Thanks in advance,
    Simon.

    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
    Simon Meacham, May 14, 2006

  2. Aha - it's a bug in IE7 Beta documented here
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904942 for which there is supposed to be
    an x64 hotfix (link on KB page).

    Trouble is when I click on the x64 link to download the hotfix, it says
    'this download is not available'.

    A quick search of the download center shows that only a patch for x86 XPSP2
    exists currently (named suspiciously WindowsXP-KB904942-v2-x86-ENU.exe)
    suggesting the patch has been rev'ed at least once.

    Any kind MS folk know if this patch (v2) will be published for x64 or do I
    have to uninstall IE7 Beta as seems to be the trend on the newsgroup for
    other issues...

    Thanks

    Simon Meacham, May 15, 2006

  3. I would post this to the IE newsgroup, since its an issue specific to the IE
    7 Beta.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 15, 2006
  4. Crossposting an issue with IE7 Beta and Outlook 2003 on x64...

    Can anyone assist from IE?

    Simon Meacham, May 15, 2006