Outlook 2000 slow response, busy, unresponsive, freeze

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phong, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. Phong

    Phong Guest

    Hello,

    I'd set up a brand new laptop running XP with office 2000 and Outlook
    2000 is running slow. It seems that every 30 seconds Outlook will
    freeze up for about 2-3 seconds at a time. When this happens, I can't
    open up emails or navigate through the system until that 2-3 second
    pause is over. When I type a new email, it will freeze up for the 2-3
    seconds, which prevents me from being able to type emails without
    having to wait for it to unfreeze and have the text catchup to where I
    am typing.

    It seems to be only an Outlook thing for the rest of the computer seems
    to be working fine. It seems that every 30 seconds or so, it is
    downloading or running something (which is the cause of this hiccup),
    but I've changed the settings to download messages every 10 minutes. I
    had a large PST file open (over 1.5 GB), but the problem still occurs
    even after I closed the PST file.

    The outlook profile is set up to recieve POP email and have it
    downloaded into the computer. The large PST file is located on the
    desktop. So, it is not connected to a Exchange server. I'd ran detect
    and repair on outlook a couple of times, uninstalled and reinstalled
    office a few times, and also did a repair of office a few times and the
    same problems keeps happening.

    I am running AVG 7.5 on the laptop. I turned off email scanning and
    the problem still happens.

    Is anyone familiar with this problem and know how I can go about fixing
    it?

    Thank you.

    Phong
    Phong, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Phong

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 7 Dec 2006 16:13:06 -0800, "Phong" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'd set up a brand new laptop running XP with office 2000 and Outlook
    >2000 is running slow. It seems that every 30 seconds Outlook will
    >freeze up for about 2-3 seconds at a time. When this happens, I can't
    >open up emails or navigate through the system until that 2-3 second
    >pause is over. When I type a new email, it will freeze up for the 2-3
    >seconds, which prevents me from being able to type emails without
    >having to wait for it to unfreeze and have the text catchup to where I
    >am typing.
    >
    >It seems to be only an Outlook thing for the rest of the computer seems
    >to be working fine. It seems that every 30 seconds or so, it is
    >downloading or running something (which is the cause of this hiccup),
    >but I've changed the settings to download messages every 10 minutes. I
    >had a large PST file open (over 1.5 GB), but the problem still occurs
    >even after I closed the PST file.
    >
    >The outlook profile is set up to recieve POP email and have it
    >downloaded into the computer. The large PST file is located on the
    >desktop. So, it is not connected to a Exchange server. I'd ran detect
    >and repair on outlook a couple of times, uninstalled and reinstalled
    >office a few times, and also did a repair of office a few times and the
    >same problems keeps happening.
    >
    >I am running AVG 7.5 on the laptop. I turned off email scanning and
    >the problem still happens.
    >
    >Is anyone familiar with this problem and know how I can go about fixing
    >it?

    Ditch OE. Run a real e-mail client.

    Anything else.
    Evan Platt, Dec 8, 2006

  3. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On 7 Dec 2006 16:13:06 -0800, "Phong" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I'd set up a brand new laptop running XP with office 2000 and Outlook
    >>2000 is running slow. It seems that every 30 seconds Outlook will
    >>freeze up for about 2-3 seconds at a time.

    > Ditch OE. Run a real e-mail client.

    Gotcha on this one, Evan. Phong said Outlook 2000, not Outlook Express.

    Naturally, we need to blame Microsoft for your oversight. The employee
    who picked the same word for both program names should have been strung
    up by his/her thumbs.

    > Anything else.

    >>I am running AVG 7.5 on the laptop. I turned off email scanning and
    >>the problem still happens.

    I'm glad Phong said that; it would have been my first suggestion. <g>
    Email Inbound and Outbound scanning isn't necessary.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips-sub.html#avscan

    Since Outlook does so many other things, I would start by going through
    its options and turning stuff off, starting with auto-checking for new
    mail if that is on.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Phong

    Phong Guest

    That's turned off also. Basically, Outlook is streamedline to receive
    and send email manually. No virus scanning. Nothing. It is still
    acting up. I've searched and searched all groups and no one has an
    answer.
    Phong, Dec 8, 2006
  5. Phong

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 7 Dec 2006 22:26:03 -0800, "Phong" <> wrote:

    >That's turned off also. Basically, Outlook is streamedline to receive
    >and send email manually. No virus scanning. Nothing. It is still
    >acting up. I've searched and searched all groups and no one has an
    >answer.

    What's turned off? Who are you talking to?
    Evan Platt, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Phong

    Phong Guest

    I was talking to Beauregard T. Shagnasty...her reply is below.

    Phong, Dec 8, 2006
  7. Phong

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:29:14 -0800, Evan Platt Has Frothed:

    > On 7 Dec 2006 16:13:06 -0800, "Phong" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I'd set up a brand new laptop running XP with office 2000 and Outlook
    >>2000 is running slow. It seems that every 30 seconds Outlook will
    >>freeze up for about 2-3 seconds at a time. When this happens, I can't
    >>open up emails or navigate through the system until that 2-3 second
    >>pause is over. When I type a new email, it will freeze up for the 2-3
    >>seconds, which prevents me from being able to type emails without
    >>having to wait for it to unfreeze and have the text catchup to where I
    >>am typing.
    >>
    >>It seems to be only an Outlook thing for the rest of the computer seems
    >>to be working fine. It seems that every 30 seconds or so, it is
    >>downloading or running something (which is the cause of this hiccup),
    >>but I've changed the settings to download messages every 10 minutes. I
    >>had a large PST file open (over 1.5 GB), but the problem still occurs
    >>even after I closed the PST file.
    >>
    >>The outlook profile is set up to recieve POP email and have it
    >>downloaded into the computer. The large PST file is located on the
    >>desktop. So, it is not connected to a Exchange server. I'd ran detect
    >>and repair on outlook a couple of times, uninstalled and reinstalled
    >>office a few times, and also did a repair of office a few times and the
    >>same problems keeps happening.
    >>
    >>I am running AVG 7.5 on the laptop. I turned off email scanning and
    >>the problem still happens.
    >>
    >>Is anyone familiar with this problem and know how I can go about fixing
    >>it?

    > Ditch OE. Run a real e-mail client.
    >
    > Anything else.

    Well that's fine advice if the OP was using OE however he's not.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Dec 8, 2006