Outlook 07 not doing it; what's a good database email solution?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    time I do an email merge from Word 07.

    I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    away.

    I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    then?)

    I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.

    There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    have found a solution.

    So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:

    - Need to include html links and images
    - Need to personalise each message

    I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.

    I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.

    Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?

    Thanks in advance for advice,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jul 16, 2009

  2. Boppy

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?

    mailchimp.com

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Boppy

    impossible Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    >
    > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > away.
    >
    > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > then?)
    >
    > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    >
    > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > have found a solution.
    >
    > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    >
    > - Need to include html links and images
    > - Need to personalise each message
    >
    > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    >
    > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,

    (1) If you're using an av program that scans your ougoing mail, that could
    be an issue.

    (2) Check the size of your mailbox -- if you're saving copies of every email
    you send, then 800*50K could loadyou up pretty fast, and that could
    noticeably slow things down.

    (3) All Windows and Office updates installed?

    impossible, Jul 17, 2009
  4. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1c6f05a5-42a3-44ae-b56f-
    >,
    says...
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    >
    > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > away.
    >
    > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > then?)
    >
    > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    >
    > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > have found a solution.
    >
    > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    >
    > - Need to include html links and images
    > - Need to personalise each message
    >
    > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    >
    > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,

    I agree with 'impossible' - remove all/any AV integration with Outlook -
    you don't need it (the realtime scanning component of your AV will get
    any virus anyway).

    However, I suppose you've been there, done that :(

    What AV do you use, BTW?

    Mail-merges like you are doing should be quite trivial, even if to
    thousands.

    And what's the deal with the "hosted Exchange" - what sort of connection
    do you have to Exchange Server?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 17, 2009
  5. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1c6f05a5-42a3-44ae-b56f-
    >,
    says...
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    >
    > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > away.
    >
    > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > then?)
    >
    > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    >
    > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > have found a solution.
    >
    > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    >
    > - Need to include html links and images
    > - Need to personalise each message
    >
    > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    >
    > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,

    Another thing - do you have any error message(s)? - they kinda help :) -
    Anything in the Event Logs?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 17, 2009
  6. Boppy

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-16, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.

    Send them a URL where it is stored.

    Hint cloud computing is here, well above the horizion.

    Gordon, Jul 17, 2009
  7. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:47 am, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    >
    > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > away.
    >
    > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > then?)
    >
    > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    >
    > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > have found a solution.
    >
    > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    >
    > - Need to include html links and images
    > - Need to personalise each message
    >
    > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    >
    > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > Jo

    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
    reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
    messages would be trivial.

    My hard drive was reformated last week and the tech installed ESET.
    I'd previously had AVG which he took off. I liked AVG because it
    scanned for malaware at the same time as viruses so I only had to
    right click once on a file to check it (that's the bought version).
    Anyway, yes it was set to scan outgoing mail, as was ESET, which I
    have now disabled - thanks for the tip, impossible. Yes, Vista SP2 is
    installed, no to Windows updates.

    Duncan, am connecting to Domainz hosted exchange via wireless
    broadband lan with the http box ticked. No error messages on my
    machine but did get an error last week on a colleague's machine which
    I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.

    Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
    the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
    clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
    newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
    and read them.

    Cheers
    Jo

    Boppy, Jul 18, 2009
  8. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    http://www.mobilizemail.com/ are also worth a look.

    EMB, Jul 18, 2009
  9. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <48758955-b4bc-4c64-914b-7cf66cbf8673
    @b25g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Jul 17, 10:47 am, Boppy <> wrote:
    > > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    > >
    > > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > > away.
    > >
    > > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > > then?)
    > >
    > > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    > >
    > > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > > have found a solution.
    > >
    > > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    > >
    > > - Need to include html links and images
    > > - Need to personalise each message
    > >
    > > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    > >
    > > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > > Jo

    > Thanks everyone for your replies.
    > I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
    > reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
    > messages would be trivial.
    >
    > My hard drive was reformated last week and the tech installed ESET.
    > I'd previously had AVG which he took off. I liked AVG because it
    > scanned for malaware at the same time as viruses so I only had to
    > right click once on a file to check it (that's the bought version).
    > Anyway, yes it was set to scan outgoing mail, as was ESET, which I
    > have now disabled - thanks for the tip, impossible. Yes, Vista SP2 is
    > installed, no to Windows updates.
    >
    > Duncan, am connecting to Domainz hosted exchange via wireless
    > broadband lan with the http box ticked. No error messages on my
    > machine but did get an error last week on a colleague's machine which
    > I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.
    >
    > Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
    > the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
    > clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
    > newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
    > and read them.

    So how is it going now? (w' eSet not scanning outbound mail (I'd turn
    off inbound scanning too, BTW, as eSet's realtime scanning component
    will still stop virul email from executing).

    If you still have the problem, and you have the eSet CD and serial
    number, I'd remove ESet (uninstall it), and re-test.

    If you still have the problem then, I'd post to a more expert group,
    like: microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general
    (newsserver: news.microsoft.com).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 18, 2009
  10. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jul 18, 12:10 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.

    > > Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
    > > the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
    > > clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
    > > newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
    > > and read them.

    > So how is it going now? (w' eSet not scanning outbound mail (I'd turn
    > off inbound scanning too, BTW, as eSet's realtime scanning component
    > will still stop virul email from executing).
    >
    > If you still have the problem, and you have the eSet CD and serial
    > number, I'd remove ESet (uninstall it), and re-test.
    >
    > If you still have the problem then, I'd post to a more expert group,
    > like: microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general

    Thanks Duncan, I don't have another mailout to do till next week -
    can't bombard the database too often. Will report back if I still have
    probs then.
    Cheers,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jul 18, 2009
  11. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jul 18, 11:48 am, EMB <> wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:
    > > Thanks everyone for your replies.
    > > I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
    > > reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
    > > messages would be trivial.

    > http://www.mobilizemail.com/are also worth a look.

    Thanks - have requested a quote from them.

    Boppy, Jul 18, 2009
  12. Boppy

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:47 am, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
    > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
    > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
    >
    > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
    > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
    > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
    > away.
    >
    > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
    > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
    > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
    > then?)
    >
    > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
    > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
    >
    > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
    > have found a solution.
    >
    > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
    > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
    >
    > - Need to include html links and images
    > - Need to personalise each message
    >
    > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
    > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
    >
    > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
    > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice,
    > Jo

    Mailman can handle 10,000 user lists and it can be hosted, however you
    want to change the user list(s) frequently, so that's an issue....but
    one way is to have a cascading group of lists...if you are posting to
    groups of ppl and those groups change as opposed to individuals....eg
    you have master lists A, B, C and D.

    A contains sub lists S,T,U,V
    B contains sub lists S, T and V
    C contains sub lists P, Q and R
    D contains A and C

    Gordon has suggested a modern way to send "letters" just send the
    link...its what we do as the email shots we have are over 5000 users
    and 4~8 meg, even on grunty kit it took 30mins to pump it out...we
    even have 8000+ lists on mailman...but 50k is peanuts.

    A good search engine for possible tools to meet your needs is
    http://freshmeat.net. From what you are trying to do SugarCRM or
    another CRM sound better solutions....SugarCRM can be remotely hosted,
    pretty sure some ppl in NZ do it, for a charge or course, but its
    free...there is even a demo/trial site you can log into to give it a
    look at.

    http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/ondemand_eval.html

    (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox then?)

    Its possible their Exchange server has anti-virus programs on board,
    these could and can slow down exchange significantly...

    Is Outlook sending each mail individually? rather than batching them?
    modern smtp can take 1 email to 50 or even 1000 ppl and say here is
    the one email duplicate it to these 50....

    Run perfmon/taskmanager on your desktop and monitor while you send
    out....see if its cpu or memory or disk is maxing out, that would
    point to Outlook...if its not....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jul 18, 2009