Outdoor webcam for construction site

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alex, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hello,

    We want to setup two still webcams and a live video cam at a
    construction site, but I'm unsure which ones to review. I've looked at
    the Axis website, but what other vendors have others used for such a
    feat?

    The site for now is a 3-4 acre empty field, but the construction folks
    will setup a poll, power, and wifi connection to this poll. The two
    stationary cameras ideally will FTP the pictures to our web server
    every x minutes (probably 15-30) and the live video camera will be
    accessible live from the internet. We don't really need control of the
    camera, though that would be nice.

    Any suggestions or ideas on which cameras to check out? Anyone done a
    similar project?

    Thanks --

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 23, 2006

  2. I'm not sure if these folks do a streaming feed setup as well, but they have
    a kick ass still cam setup:

    http://factory.oxblue.com/win/?siteID=70ceb2bbc3e3b672f9117d9ab4430ded

    That particular one is on the boardwalk in Atlantic City NJ. Gotta love the
    high resolution... it's a shame it doesn't update a little more often
    though. I remember checking some of OxBlue's other construction cams a
    while back, and they had a dozen or so... not sure how "big" they've
    gotten.

    Good luck.

    --
    My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Robert J Batina, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Alex

    Cam Guy Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > We want to setup two still webcams and a live video cam at a
    > construction site, but I'm unsure which ones to review.

    Is this for security or anti-theft purpose, or is it to create a
    time-lapse record of construction progress at the site?

    If it is for security, then presumably you will be more concerned
    about image quality at night - at which point questions arise such as
    how well lit is the site after dark, are you prepared to add lights,
    etc. Cameras that are sensitive to infra-red can see very well at
    night and the area can be lit with high-power infra-red sources which
    are invisible to the human eye.

    I think your bigger issue will be bandwidth. You will be disappointed
    as to the frame-rate that you'll be able to achieve over a wireless
    link - let alone what you'll be able to push across a conventional
    residential broadband connection (you haven't said anything about the
    type of internet connection you have, but many types are limited to
    between 500 and 800 kbps upload speed).

    Yes, you can take 640 x 480 pictures every so often and upload them to
    a server. Presumably if you have a wireless link then you will be
    able to connect a PC to the router or hub and I would do that - and
    store the images and live video on that computer. Software running on
    that computer can make those images available on the web. As for
    streaming a live feed to the internet - you won't be able to do better
    than 2 or 3 frames per second at 640 x 480 and maybe 5 or 6 FPS at 320
    x 240. However, on the local LAN you will be able to do better -
    essentially what-ever the camera is capable of.

    I have 2 network IP cameras at my office which are pointed outside and
    are monitored by a PC that is running software that came with the
    cameras. The software is designed to start capturing video (AVI file)
    when motion is detected in the images. I also get an e-mail and a
    single picture (attachment) when the motion is detected. I can access
    the cameras from homw when I want to get a live stream - but like I
    said the frame-rate isin't very fast.

    Cam Guy, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Robert J Batina wrote:
    > I'm not sure if these folks do a streaming feed setup as well, but they have
    > a kick ass still cam setup:
    >
    > http://factory.oxblue.com/win/?siteID=70ceb2bbc3e3b672f9117d9ab4430ded
    >
    > That particular one is on the boardwalk in Atlantic City NJ. Gotta love the
    > high resolution... it's a shame it doesn't update a little more often
    > though. I remember checking some of OxBlue's other construction cams a
    > while back, and they had a dozen or so... not sure how "big" they've
    > gotten.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Hi Robert,

    This is exactly what we're looking for! Thanks --

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Alex

    harrier Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We want to setup two still webcams and a live video cam at a
    > construction site, but I'm unsure which ones to review. I've looked at
    > the Axis website, but what other vendors have others used for such a
    > feat?
    >
    > The site for now is a 3-4 acre empty field, but the construction folks
    > will setup a poll, power, and wifi connection to this poll. The two
    > stationary cameras ideally will FTP the pictures to our web server
    > every x minutes (probably 15-30) and the live video camera will be
    > accessible live from the internet. We don't really need control of the
    > camera, though that would be nice.
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas on which cameras to check out? Anyone done a
    > similar project?
    >
    > Thanks --
    >
    > Alex

    Check out this website www.gsm-camera.com
    They do a GSM based system that only requires battery and optionally a
    solar panel for a complete unattended system

    harrier, Nov 1, 2006