Outbox activity - suspicious?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by karlengel@excite.com, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. Guest

    I've frequently noticed my backup program backing up my OE Outbox file
    when
    I haven't been sending anything. (It usually just backs up files that
    have
    changed). Could this be a sign my computer is sending out spam or
    something
    else unauthorized?
    I've just noticed the Outbox file is 7611KB while there's nothing
    waiting in
    the Outbox. I assumed these sorts of spam-sending trojans don't use
    your
    regular email client as that would be a bit obvious, particularly if
    the
    rogue emails showed up as Sent Items! But do they still use the Outbox
    part
    of the program?

    I'm running antivirus & antispyware and have recently done a spyware/
    malware
    scan.

    While typing this a further backup occurred, but the file size still
    reads
    7611KB.

    , Apr 4, 2009

  2. Guest

    On Apr 4, 5:39 am, wrote:
    > I've frequently noticed my backup program backing up my OE Outbox file
    > when
    > I haven't been sending anything. (It usually just backs up files that
    > have
    > changed). Could this be a sign my computer is sending out spam or
    > something
    > else unauthorized?
    > I've just noticed the Outbox file is 7611KB while there's nothing
    > waiting in
    > the Outbox. I assumed these sorts of spam-sending trojans don't use
    > your
    > regular email client as that would be a bit obvious, particularly if
    > the
    > rogue emails showed up as Sent Items! But do they still use the Outbox
    > part
    > of the program?
    >
    > I'm running antivirus & antispyware and have recently done a spyware/
    > malware
    > scan.
    >
    > While typing this a further backup occurred, but the file size still
    > reads
    > 7611KB.

    correct, trojans wouldn't use your OE to send spam, they just use
    regular smtp comands.
    create a new account, check the outbox folder size - and compare
    MK

    , Apr 6, 2009