    it. If someone could write back that would be great!
    Thank You
    Chelsy

    chelsy, Sep 19, 2003

  2. chelsy

    °Mike° Guest

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    On 19 Sep 2003 10:44:19 -0700, in
    <>
    chelsy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 19, 2003

  3. chelsy

    lsj7 Guest

    chelsy wrote:
    > Please forgive me if this isn't the correct group for this topic, but
    > I'm pretty unfamilier with this stuff.
    > The reason for my post is that my computer is working so badly and
    > slowely(I do have XP), and it is a new computer. It says I have 67%
    > free space, so it can't be full, and it says I dont have to defragment
    > it. But, a message keeps popping up saying that I am low on virtual
    > memory and windows is increasing the size. But it keeps happening so I
    > think this is the reason why it is working so slowely. A message also
    > came up yesterday saying I was out of virtual memory.So what I did( I
    > probubly shouldn't of) was went into my paging file and increased the
    > minumim size from 180 to 300? And my maxiumum is set up to 385. I have
    > no idea what these things mean, all I know is computer seems to be
    > working a little bit faster since I did it. I guess I just want to
    > make sure that I didn't do anything wrong and if this would've fixed
    > it. If someone could write back that would be great!
    > Thank You
    > Chelsy

    Norton is a resource hog---neener neener noo noo...(what am I
    saying.arggggghh) When it expires and you have to update it ($$$) get a
    free virus protector.

    just my 2cents.

    --
    lsj7

    "Germany is sheerly swallowed up by the merchants and companies, by
    means of usury. Usury lives all secure in Germany, and rages as if he
    were God and lord in all lands; no one may oppose him."
    _____________Martin Luther

    lsj7, Sep 19, 2003
  4. chelsy

    Ron Martell Guest

    (chelsy) wrote:

    >Please forgive me if this isn't the correct group for this topic, but
    >I'm pretty unfamilier with this stuff.
    >The reason for my post is that my computer is working so badly and
    >slowely(I do have XP), and it is a new computer. It says I have 67%
    >free space, so it can't be full, and it says I dont have to defragment
    >it. But, a message keeps popping up saying that I am low on virtual
    >memory and windows is increasing the size. But it keeps happening so I
    >think this is the reason why it is working so slowely. A message also
    >came up yesterday saying I was out of virtual memory.So what I did( I
    >probubly shouldn't of) was went into my paging file and increased the
    >minumim size from 180 to 300? And my maxiumum is set up to 385. I have
    >no idea what these things mean, all I know is computer seems to be
    >working a little bit faster since I did it. I guess I just want to
    >make sure that I didn't do anything wrong and if this would've fixed
    >it. If someone could write back that would be great!
    >Thank You
    >Chelsy

    Crank up that maximum setting for virtual memory to at least 1 gb
    (1024 mb).

    If the problems persist after making that change then post a further
    response back here. There are some known instances where false
    "virtual memory is low" messages can be produced.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 21, 2003
  5. chelsy

    chelsy Guest

    Ok i cranked it up, but should I still leave the minumum to only 300
    mb?
    BTW whoever wrote about the norton thing, I have it on my computer and
    it is really outdated and I tried to delete it but most of the files
    won't delete it says it is write protected and something about a disk
    or somethin glike that. So i am stuck with it
    Chelsy

    chelsy, Sep 21, 2003
  6. chelsy

    lsj7 Guest

    chelsy wrote:
    > Ok i cranked it up, but should I still leave the minumum to only 300
    > mb?
    > BTW whoever wrote about the norton thing, I have it on my computer and
    > it is really outdated and I tried to delete it but most of the files
    > won't delete it says it is write protected and something about a disk
    > or somethin glike that. So i am stuck with it
    > Chelsy
    >
    > Ron Martell <> wrote in message
    >> (chelsy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please forgive me if this isn't the correct group for this topic,
    >>> but I'm pretty unfamilier with this stuff.
    >>> The reason for my post is that my computer is working so badly and
    >>> slowely(I do have XP), and it is a new computer. It says I have 67%
    >>> free space, so it can't be full, and it says I dont have to
    >>> defragment it. But, a message keeps popping up saying that I am low
    >>> on virtual memory and windows is increasing the size. But it keeps
    >>> happening so I think this is the reason why it is working so
    >>> slowely. A message also came up yesterday saying I was out of
    >>> virtual memory.So what I did( I probubly shouldn't of) was went
    >>> into my paging file and increased the minumim size from 180 to 300?
    >>> And my maxiumum is set up to 385. I have no idea what these things
    >>> mean, all I know is computer seems to be working a little bit
    >>> faster since I did it. I guess I just want to make sure that I
    >>> didn't do anything wrong and if this would've fixed it. If someone
    >>> could write back that would be great!
    >>> Thank You
    >>> Chelsy

    >> Crank up that maximum setting for virtual memory to at least 1 gb
    >> (1024 mb).
    >>
    >> If the problems persist after making that change then post a further
    >> response back here. There are some known instances where false
    >> "virtual memory is low" messages can be produced.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    That's because it is a program and must be uninstalled before any deletions
    can happen. if you need help to uninstall it come here in a new thread.

    lsj7, Sep 21, 2003
  7. chelsy

    Ron Martell Guest

    (chelsy) wrote:

    >Ok i cranked it up, but should I still leave the minumum to only 300
    >mb?

    Yes. A 300 mb minimum can be quite reasonable, and Windows will
    increase the actual size if and when necessary.

    The "space" between the minimum and the maximum can be used by Windows
    as part of the overall memory management, even without increasing the
    actual size of the page file beyond the minimum.

    This is because of the unused portions of memory allocation requests.
    Application programs, and Windows components as well, typically
    request memory allocations that are somewhat larger than they usually
    need under normal circumstances. Sometimes these requests are very
    substantially overstated.

    The memory manager must, by definition, identify sufficient memory
    address space to satisfy the sum total of all of these memory
    allocations requests. What has been done in the past is that the
    portion that is actually used is allocated addresses in RAM while the
    unused portions are mapped to locations in the swap file. Because the
    memory is unused there is no disk activity associated with this, just
    an internal table entry indicating that these items are mapped to
    locations in the swap file.

    Windows XP takes this process one step further. It does not require an
    actual location in the swap file to map these unused items to, just
    the potential ability to create that swap files if and when it is
    needed without exceeding the specified maximum size for the swap file.

    So with the 300 mb minimum and 1 gb maximum Windows could assign 700
    mb of unused memory requests to that potential swap file space without
    actually increasing the swap file size beyond 300 mb.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Ron Martell, Sep 22, 2003
  8. chelsy

    Mr. Smiley Guest

    chelsy wrote:
    > Please forgive me if this isn't the correct group for this topic, but
    > I'm pretty unfamilier with this stuff.
    > The reason for my post is that my computer is working so badly and
    > slowely(I do have XP), and it is a new computer. It says I have 67%
    > free space, so it can't be full, and it says I dont have to defragment
    > it. But, a message keeps popping up saying that I am low on virtual
    > memory and windows is increasing the size. But it keeps happening so I
    > think this is the reason why it is working so slowely. A message also
    > came up yesterday saying I was out of virtual memory.So what I did( I
    > probubly shouldn't of) was went into my paging file and increased the
    > minumim size from 180 to 300? And my maxiumum is set up to 385. I have
    > no idea what these things mean, all I know is computer seems to be
    > working a little bit faster since I did it. I guess I just want to
    > make sure that I didn't do anything wrong and if this would've fixed
    > it. If someone could write back that would be great!
    > Thank You
    > Chelsy

    You've got too much garbage on your computer.
    Clean it up, and add some memory, you won't have those messages popping up
    all the time. I have tons of cleanup and av links on my website.
    See this one especially. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm.
    Its not easy to do this cleanup stuff right. PC mfr's are in too big a hurry
    and too tight fisted to spend an extra cent on PCs. After all, if your pc
    still works in 2 yrs, you won't need to buy a new one. Progress marches on.

    --
    the abominable toner

    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

    Mr. Smiley, Oct 19, 2003