    run. Any suggestions on what I should buy and how much memory, video cards
    etc. should I look for.
    Thanks for any straight forward advice.
    Stella, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Stella

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    "Stella" <> wrote in message
    news:D5WOb.9276$...
    > I have a Compaq computer running w98. I am in the process of picking out a
    > new computer and need advice on what to look for. I have had mine for 5
    > years and it is not up to par as far as games go. I purchased 2 new games
    > for the grandsons and was unable to install them. I received a message

    that
    > I did not have enough video memory. On one game it installed but would not
    > run. Any suggestions on what I should buy and how much memory, video cards
    > etc. should I look for.
    > Thanks for any straight forward advice.

    Well ... I would be really surprised that a 5yr old Compaq doesn't have
    enough video memory but it is possible. Although I am not a fan of Compaq
    (even if I do own one ... thankfully its not my main unit) You could
    probably fix this easily by getting a current video card for a relatively
    few dollars. It might be as simple as needing a bit more RAM which you could
    get at www.crucial.com or more hard-drive ... there are actually alot of
    answers I would suggest that you pursue before deciding to "buy" a new unit.

    www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=603711 offers a
    complete unit for $300 which is not a bad unit ... or you could go "Dell" or
    "Gateway" if you want a more complete set-up with superlative support. I
    would suggest that under all circumstance that you steer clear of
    "eMachines" since I have worked on them often and find that they aren't
    usually worth the material they're built out of.

    Good Luck in whatever direction you elect to take.

    - Bay0Wulf
    Bay0Wulf, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Stella

    Professor Guest

    The games will have the minimum specifications necessary for running them in
    small print somewhere on the packaging. But in order to be able to run any
    of the latest games you might buy you need to get the best video card with
    the most uptodate features available. Many new cards have 128 megs of memory
    whereas in the past 64 was enough. They also run at 8x. Some sites sell
    gaming machines such as Tigerdirect.com and there are probably other sites
    that do so. However these gaming machines are often well over a thousand
    dollars and depending on the game all of that power might not be necessary
    so it depends on how much you are will to spend.

    Professor, Jan 19, 2004