Out of the blue and into my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loony, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Loony, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Loony, Jul 7, 2012

  3. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 06/07/2012 22:29, Loony wrote:
    >> This info below came out of the blue and into my computer:
    >>
    >> http://www.filesfrog.com/downloads_...ign=ongoing&utm_content=awukvlcmediaplayer820
    >>

    >> They wanted to give me 15 updates.
    >>
    >> I thought my computer was well protected but it seems that McAffee
    >> is sleeping.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Today I found that this prog has infested my computer - added itself to
    > other progs.

    It's nice of you to say, HERE IS THE VIRUS THAT I PICKED UP, when you attach
    a virus. I'm not gonna click it to see what it does ...
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2012
  4. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > This info below came out of the blue and into my computer:
    >
    > http://www.filesfrog.com/downloads_...ign=ongoing&utm_content=awukvlcmediaplayer820
    >
    > They wanted to give me 15 updates.
    >
    > I thought my computer was well protected but it seems that McAffee
    > is sleeping.
    >
    > TIA

    NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click Yes to any offer or notification
    that your computer is infected and should, "we clean it now?" If you get
    such a notification, then STOP what you are doing and invoke the antivirus
    program that you already use, and see what it says.

    As you puruse the 'net, you will undoubtedly come across a site that will
    tell you that you have an infection of some sort that needs to be cleaned.
    MCAFEE WILL DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY AND WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING until it says
    something specific AND it will give an error that clearly says MCAFEE in
    it -- McAfee found the XYZ virus and cleaned it (or something to that
    affect). When the message is generic, SECURITY FOUND A THREAT, then the
    threat is the security itself. If you click Yes to allow the generic
    "security" clean something then you actively load an EXE file that gets a
    call embedded into the browser so that it keeps coming up with the message
    that security found a threat. You can clear the message for $69.95.

    You REALLY need to be taking a computer course at the local clubhouse in
    your community. You are asking some of the most basic questions that one can
    ask -- why do I have memory card information in My Computer, how did I get
    this <whatever> in my computer, my computer needs 15 updates... Your
    computer will seek out updates from Microsoft as a normal and customary
    operation.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 07/07/2012 17:14, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >> This info below came out of the blue and into my computer:
    >>
    >> http://www.filesfrog.com/downloads_...ign=ongoing&utm_content=awukvlcmediaplayer820
    >>

    >> They wanted to give me 15 updates.
    >>
    >> I thought my computer was well protected but it seems that McAffee
    >> is sleeping.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click Yes to any offer or
    > notification that your computer is infected and should, "we clean it
    > now?" If you get such a notification, then STOP what you are doing and
    > invoke the antivirus program that you already use, and see what it says.

    I did not offer to allow them to install any of the 15 progs. I
    immediately closed down the Explorer but soon afterwards I found that
    the program was already installed on my computer.

    > As you puruse the 'net, you will undoubtedly come across a site that
    > will tell you that you have an infection of some sort that needs to be
    > cleaned. MCAFEE WILL DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY AND WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING
    > until it says something specific AND it will give an error that clearly
    > says MCAFEE in it -- McAfee found the XYZ virus and cleaned it (or
    > something to that affect). When the message is generic, SECURITY FOUND A
    > THREAT, then the threat is the security itself. If you click Yes to
    > allow the generic "security" clean something then you actively load an
    > EXE file that gets a call embedded into the browser so that it keeps
    > coming up with the message that security found a threat. You can clear
    > the message for $69.95.
    >
    > You REALLY need to be taking a computer course at the local clubhouse in
    > your community. You are asking some of the most basic questions that one
    > can ask -- why do I have memory card information in My Computer, how did
    > I get this <whatever> in my computer, my computer needs 15 updates...
    > Your computer will seek out updates from Microsoft as a normal and
    > customary operation.

    I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was their
    failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their websites
    but I could not find any way to contact them.
    Loony, Jul 7, 2012
  6. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:

    > I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was their
    > failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their websites
    > but I could not find any way to contact them.

    It took me a couple tries, to find a site that offers support for
    their home users. Have you tried this one at all ?

    http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx

    I can only point you there, because I don't know what exact product
    you bought from them.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 7, 2012
  7. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 07/07/2012 21:19, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >

    >> I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was
    >> their failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their
    >> websites but I could not find any way to contact them.
    >>

    > It took me a couple tries, to find a site that offers support for
    > their home users. Have you tried this one at all ?
    >
    > http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx
    >
    > I can only point you there, because I don't know what exact product
    > you bought from them.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks again Paul,

    You were right, as usual :)

    Here is what I found and now I have a short form to fill.

    Customer Service for Home and Home Office
    https://service.mcafee.com/UserInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=EMAIL

    I am now filling out the short form.

    Thank you once more Sir Paul :)
    Loony, Jul 7, 2012
  8. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 07/07/2012 17:14, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >>> This info below came out of the blue and into my computer:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.filesfrog.com/downloads_...ign=ongoing&utm_content=awukvlcmediaplayer820
    >>>

    >>> They wanted to give me 15 updates.
    >>>
    >>> I thought my computer was well protected but it seems that McAffee
    >>> is sleeping.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click Yes to any offer or
    >> notification that your computer is infected and should, "we clean it
    >> now?" If you get such a notification, then STOP what you are doing and
    >> invoke the antivirus program that you already use, and see what it says.

    > I did not offer to allow them to install any of the 15 progs. I
    > immediately closed down the Explorer but soon afterwards I found that the
    > program was already installed on my computer.

    Another way you get this is when you download something to install, you are
    asked several times to click OK or DECLINE, and the knee-jerk thing to do is
    click OK every time it comes up, but one of those OK Buttons was to load a
    scanner to look for the stuff you are saying it found. YOU MUST READ EACH
    DIALOG BOX BEFORE YOU CLICK THE OK BUTTON.

    Without knowing what the 15 updates are, the only thing I can say is that
    Microsoft creates these updates with mind numbing regularity. Microsoft will
    never send you a virus or a program that lights up your screen with YOUR
    MACHINE IS INFECTED, SHOULD WE FIX IT NOW?

    Microsoft Security Essentials is a vastly superior protection suite than
    McAfee ever was -- installing McAfee is like asking the Chicago Mob to
    protect you from the New York Mob. In my experience, both Norton and McAfee
    are a few data bits away from being the virus they are protecting you
    against -- to prove my point, try removing them from your machine.

    In any case, you accepted a virus scan program on one of the many clicks of
    the OK button that appeared when a desired program was coming to your
    machine.

    >> As you puruse the 'net, you will undoubtedly come across a site that
    >> will tell you that you have an infection of some sort that needs to be
    >> cleaned. MCAFEE WILL DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY AND WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING
    >> until it says something specific AND it will give an error that clearly
    >> says MCAFEE in it -- McAfee found the XYZ virus and cleaned it (or
    >> something to that affect). When the message is generic, SECURITY FOUND A
    >> THREAT, then the threat is the security itself. If you click Yes to
    >> allow the generic "security" clean something then you actively load an
    >> EXE file that gets a call embedded into the browser so that it keeps
    >> coming up with the message that security found a threat. You can clear
    >> the message for $69.95.
    >>
    >> You REALLY need to be taking a computer course at the local clubhouse in
    >> your community. You are asking some of the most basic questions that one
    >> can ask -- why do I have memory card information in My Computer, how did
    >> I get this <whatever> in my computer, my computer needs 15 updates...
    >> Your computer will seek out updates from Microsoft as a normal and
    >> customary operation.

    > I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was their
    > failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their websites
    > but I could not find any way to contact them.

    That's because they are the Chicago Mob. They will contact you if you need
    it, you cannot contact them. Have an envelope full of twentys ready when
    they call.

    Since you clicked OK, then what you have is not something that McAfee will
    protect against. The Chicago Mob sits at the front door making sure that
    only the desireable customers get in, but you can still invite the New York
    Mob in through the ally entrance. McAfee protects you from virual attacks,
    it does not prevent you from downloading an application that you wish
    (later) that you did not accept.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 8, 2012
  9. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 08/07/2012 17:12, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >> On 07/07/2012 17:14, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Loony" <> wrote in message

    >>> NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click Yes to any offer or
    >>> notification that your computer is infected and should, "we clean it
    >>> now?" If you get such a notification, then STOP what you are doing and
    >>> invoke the antivirus program that you already use, and see what it says.

    >> I did not offer to allow them to install any of the 15 progs. I
    >> immediately closed down the Explorer but soon afterwards I found that
    >> the program was already installed on my computer.
    >>

    > Another way you get this is when you download something to install, you
    > are asked several times to click OK or DECLINE, and the knee-jerk thing
    > to do is click OK every time it comes up, but one of those OK Buttons
    > was to load a scanner to look for the stuff you are saying it found. YOU
    > MUST READ EACH DIALOG BOX BEFORE YOU CLICK THE OK BUTTON.

    I didn't let them get very far. I read the page and saw that it was
    offering 15 progs, most of which I already have.

    > Without knowing what the 15 updates are, the only thing I can say is
    > that Microsoft creates these updates with mind numbing regularity.
    > Microsoft will never send you a virus or a program that lights up your
    > screen with YOUR MACHINE IS INFECTED, SHOULD WE FIX IT NOW?

    I smelled a rat at this point and I closed down the offering. It was
    late in the evening and I shut down the computer. Next morning I noticed
    that they had installed several programs and I deleted all of them. They
    have not returned. McAfee Security Scan Plus was installed a few months
    back. I tracked them to their home (USA). http://service.mcafee.com
    > Thank you for contacting McAfee Customer Service.
    > I understand that the link came out of blue and infected your computer and added itself to other programs.
    > James, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused for you. It is really unfortunate that your computer got infected by virus when McAfee was installed.
    > Having anti virus product installed is one thing and keep it up to date is other part. We continually strive to keep our customers secure online by updating our virus libraries on a daily basis. However, you will agree with me that the World Wide Web being a dynamic medium, plenty of new variants / mutants of viruses hit the net possibly every other minute.
    > In this scenario, even with the top of the charts Antivirus softwares like McAfee, it is quite possible that at certain times, the online vulnerability increases. Every other minutes 100's of new threats found all around the world; we keep releasing new updates to get protection against them. Yet, in between the gap, it is quite possible that your system get vulnerable to new threats. So, it is not possible to provide 100% protection by any anti virus.
    > To resolve your issue, I recommend you to contact our Support who can assist you to check whether your computer got infected by virus or not and will help you further in this issue. You can reach them using the below options.
    > 1-866-966-8478 (Note: NA Non Business Hours)
    > 1-866-622-3911 and (Note: NA Business Hours)
    > I suggest you to use the below link to try some of the "Free Virus Removal Solutions" before contacting our technicians.
    > http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virus-removal-tools
    > The above link includes, AVERT Tools, Virus Removal Forums, Webimmune & Virus information library. Kindly make use of these options and if you still face any issues in removing the virus, I request you to contact our technicians.
    > 908726218 is the Service Request number for this issue. Please quote this number if you need to contact us with further questions.
    > For all your future Service and Support needs, please visit http://service.mcafee.com.
    > Thank you for contacting McAfee Customer support!
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Arun Kumar Manohar

    (Presumably from some wild east location)
    > McAfee Customer Service – Tier 1
    > Safe online? Avoid dangerous web sites using McAfee Site Advisor™ — a FREE download from http://www.siteadvisor.com?cid=27092.
    > Don’t search or surf without it!

    For all your future Service and Support needs, please visit
    http://service.mcafee.com

    > Microsoft Security Essentials is a vastly superior protection suite than
    > McAfee ever was -- installing McAfee is like asking the Chicago Mob to
    > protect you from the New York Mob. In my experience, both Norton and
    > McAfee are a few data bits away from being the virus they are protecting
    > you against -- to prove my point, try removing them from your machine.
    >
    > In any case, you accepted a virus scan program on one of the many clicks
    > of the OK button that appeared when a desired program was coming to your
    > machine.

    Microsoft Security Essentials did indeed establish itself in my computer
    a few weeks ago but it did not dump the McAffee program. The latter gave
    me the impression that they are working with British Telecom (Bt).

    >>> As you puruse the 'net, you will undoubtedly come across a site that
    >>> will tell you that you have an infection of some sort that needs to be
    >>> cleaned. MCAFEE WILL DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY AND WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING
    >>> until it says something specific AND it will give an error that clearly
    >>> says MCAFEE in it -- McAfee found the XYZ virus and cleaned it (or
    >>> something to that affect). When the message is generic, SECURITY FOUND A
    >>> THREAT, then the threat is the security itself. If you click Yes to
    >>> allow the generic "security" clean something then you actively load an
    >>> EXE file that gets a call embedded into the browser so that it keeps
    >>> coming up with the message that security found a threat. You can clear
    >>> the message for $69.95.

    On many occasions I have had requests to me to allow them to "fix" my
    computer. For about 5 months I have had about 3 to 4 calls every day to
    "help" me with my computer. I told them NO but they persisted in
    annoying me by calling me and then hanging up. I stopped using the phone
    except for the computer. All of the calls came from the Far East -
    Indians, Pakis and Chinks - each with its own accent.

    >>> You REALLY need to be taking a computer course at the local clubhouse in
    >>> your community. You are asking some of the most basic questions that one
    >>> can ask -- why do I have memory card information in My Computer, how did
    >>> I get this <whatever> in my computer, my computer needs 15 updates...
    >>> Your computer will seek out updates from Microsoft as a normal and
    >>> customary operation.

    I have very little interest in all of the fine details. My life has many
    more interests.

    >> I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was
    >> their failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their
    >> websites but I could not find any way to contact them.

    They gave me the impression that they were working with Bt.

    > That's because they are the Chicago Mob. They will contact you if you
    > need it, you cannot contact them. Have an envelope full of twentys ready
    > when they call.

    Not to me. Most of my computer problems I can fix myself.

    > Since you clicked OK, then what you have is not something that McAfee
    > will protect against. The Chicago Mob sits at the front door making sure
    > that only the desireable customers get in, but you can still invite the
    > New York Mob in through the ally entrance. McAfee protects you from
    > virual attacks, it does not prevent you from downloading an application
    > that you wish (later) that you did not accept.

    I pay attention to what I download and I make sure that I do that from a
    reputable source.

    Thanks for your comments :)
    Loony, Jul 9, 2012
  10. "Loony" <> wrote in message

    >> That's because they are the Chicago Mob. They will contact you if you
    >> need it, you cannot contact them. Have an envelope full of twentys ready
    >> when they call.

    > Not to me. Most of my computer problems I can fix myself.

    Sorry, but there is a hollow note in that statement. You posted a few days
    ago that you have four drive letters that are messing things up, but those
    letters are for memory card capacity for memory slots that exist but are
    empty.

    The questions about the memory card drive letters made me think you are not
    an experienced user. Sorry if I misunderstood what you know how to do. You
    claim that you can fix a tranmsission after asking where the gas tank is.
    Surely you can grasp why I am confused.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 9, 2012