    total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Brian

    Hunibal Guest

    --

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    > Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    > total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    > colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00

    Cheers _ Hunibal _

    Hunibal, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Brian

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    > Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    > total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    > colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
    come with a 'starter set'.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Brian

    dylan Guest

    > You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
    > come with a 'starter set'.
    >
    > Tom

    I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
    correct when I've bought Epson.

    dylan, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Brian

    Pete D Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message
    >> You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often
    >> they come with a 'starter set'.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
    > correct when I've bought Epson.

    It's HP that use "starter" sets.

    Pete D, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Brian

    Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote:

    >I've heard this, particulary from shop staff, but never found it to be
    >correct when I've bought Epson.

    Well good for Epson and I mean that as a compliment. My HP came with
    carts with a G in partnumber. (Special one drop of ink carts).

    Wes

    , Apr 29, 2005
  7. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    > Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    > total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    > colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    I bought a refurbished HP 845 printer a couple of years ago for $45.
    Well below the cost of two cartridges. I used it until a couple of
    months ago when I bought an HP 1350 for $129. A bit more than the cost
    of two cartridges, but not a lot. However, then printer manufacturers
    are getting wise and are putting in 'starter cartridges' with only a
    little ink in them. sigh.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Hunibal wrote:
    > How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00
    >
    > Cheers _ Hunibal _

    Well, I tried that a few years ago. VERY messy, and only about 1 in 3
    of the cartridges worked afterwards. Worse, the ink was terrible. No
    thanks.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  9. Brian

    SuperDave Guest

    Try printpal.com Carts are very cheap and work well. Been using them
    for years. HP is a little more costly than Epson. Also after you have
    purchased from them, they usually send you an email for 10% off and
    free shipping. If I remember correctly, I think if you spend over $40
    you get the free shipping. I usually get about 4 to 6 carts every time
    and it runs me about 45 to 60 respectively. But you can order 2 if you
    like. Anyway check it out.

    SuperDave, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Brian

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Brian <> wrote:
    > I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    > Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    > total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    > colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.

    It was cheaper to buy a new printer than to refill my Xerox C20. Then
    again I got the C20 'free' for buying a set of consumables. The cost of
    carts for it went *up* as the years went on, and after an unsuccessful
    experiemtn with third-party inks, I looked at the cost of a new set of
    carts, saw the offer a local shop had on the HP 5650 and bought one.

    Sure, I miss the A3 and PostScript interpreter of the Xerox occasionally -
    and I could get the carts refilled if I needed to I guess - but printer
    economics are voodoo economics!

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Apr 29, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Brian <> wrote:

    > I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    > Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    > total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    > colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Buy ONLY a printer that has individual cartridges for all colors.

    Look for discount ink - my canon i850's carts can be had for less than
    $2 each. The same cartridges work in the 3 canon bjc3000's I also have.
    Canon seems to try to reuse cartridges instead of designing new ones for
    every printer model.

    I've run at least ten sets through one of the bjc3000 and it works fine.

    They work fine for almost everything. I wouldn't do this for printing
    high quality artwork but that's not what most people are printing.

    mgg
    --
    sig goes here

    Michael Gardner, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Brian

    measekite Guest

    When looking at a decent printer you will usually find the cost about
    half of the street price of the printer. That is really out of line.

    measekite, Apr 29, 2005
  13. > How about re-fill the cartridge? wouldn't cost more than $20.00

    I used to do that, and I had a good experience with it. However,
    manufacturers switched to carts with chips in them, and they no longer
    worked after reporting themselves empty, even though I'd refilled them.

    Phil Stripling, Apr 29, 2005
  14. Brian

    measekite Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

    >"Brian" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    >>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    >>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    >>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    >>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.
    >>
    >>Regards Brian
    >>

    >You're assuming the new printer came with a full set of carts. Often they
    >come with a 'starter set'.
    >
    >Tom

    Yes in the case of HP; No in the case of Canon.

    measekite, Apr 29, 2005
  15. Brian <> writes:

    > I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    > rather than buy inkjet cartridges.

    Often, printers are given away when you buy other stuff. Depending on your
    buying patterns of hard and software, you may not _need_ to buy a new
    printer when your ink runs out on the old one. :->

    Phil Stripling, Apr 29, 2005
  16. Brian

    measekite Guest

    They do not tell you the mfg/formulator of what they sell. It is a
    black box.

    measekite, Apr 29, 2005
  17. Brian

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Phil, I think it was you that mentioned built in chips. my son picked up a
    reset gizmo for his epson cartridge from ebay, very cheap. I prefer a laser
    for b&w and get my photo printing done outside.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 29, 2005
  18. Brian

    Codex Guest

    On 29 Apr 2005 09:33:03 -0700, Phil Stripling
    <> wrote:

    >I used to do that, and I had a good experience with it. However,
    >manufacturers switched to carts with chips in them, and they no longer
    >worked after reporting themselves empty, even though I'd refilled them.

    I bought one of those 3rd party black ink cartridges for my Canon
    printer and it ruined the black print heads because the ink gummed up
    inside. I tried cleaning the print head with Isopropyl alcohol but the
    head is ruined. I'll never buy a 3rd party cartridge again, and now I
    have to buy a new printer too. Well, I could order a new print head
    from Canon but it would be just about as cheap to just replace the
    printer. It's not an expensive model.

    Codex, Apr 29, 2005
  19. Brian

    Codex Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:00:20 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    wrote:

    >Phil, I think it was you that mentioned built in chips. my son picked up a
    >reset gizmo for his epson cartridge from ebay, very cheap. I prefer a laser
    >for b&w and get my photo printing done outside.

    I'm thinking of going lazer too for text printing. The problem with
    inkjet is that if you don't use it frequently the ink dries up and can
    gum up the print heads. That happened to an Epson 870 I had and the
    printer was useless after that.

    Codex, Apr 29, 2005
  20. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Pete Fenelon wrote:
    > Brian <> wrote:
    >
    >>I read somewhere that soon it would be cheaper to buy another printer
    >>rather than buy inkjet cartridges.
    >>Today I saw a printer selling for $74. I asked the sales person the
    >>total cost for the cartridges for the printer (it took a black and a
    >>colour cartridge). The cost was $72. Only $2 difference.

    > It was cheaper to buy a new printer than to refill my Xerox C20. Then
    > again I got the C20 'free' for buying a set of consumables. The cost of
    > carts for it went *up* as the years went on, and after an unsuccessful
    > experiemtn with third-party inks, I looked at the cost of a new set of
    > carts, saw the offer a local shop had on the HP 5650 and bought one.
    >
    > Sure, I miss the A3 and PostScript interpreter of the Xerox occasionally -
    > and I could get the carts refilled if I needed to I guess - but printer
    > economics are voodoo economics!
    >
    > pete

    Every time I pay the outrageous price for a new cartridge, I just remind
    myself that I am making a payment on the printer. At least I feel
    better that way.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005