out of focus Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dohc46, May 17, 2007.

  1. dohc46

    dohc46 Guest

    Equipment at my disposal:

    Digital Rebel XT
    EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    580EX Flash

    Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    topic/question for later).

    If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    talking about the body of the Hummer.
    I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    in focus hummers.
    I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    the readers can see what I'm referring to.

    Thanks

    dohc46, May 17, 2007

  2. On 16 May 2007 17:16:07 -0700, in rec.photo.digital dohc46
    <> wrote:

    >Equipment at my disposal:
    >
    >Digital Rebel XT
    >EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    >EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >580EX Flash
    >
    >Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    >topic/question for later).
    >
    >If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    >take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    >again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    >talking about the body of the Hummer.
    >I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    >in focus hummers.
    >I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    Stop your lens down.

    >p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    >the readers can see what I'm referring to.

    No this is NOT a binary group. Post the photos on a web site somewhere or
    one of the binary newsgroups.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), May 17, 2007

  3. dohc46

    banjo`s Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On 16 May 2007 17:16:07 -0700, in rec.photo.digital dohc46
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Equipment at my disposal:
    >>
    >>Digital Rebel XT
    >>EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    >>EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >>580EX Flash
    >>
    >>Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    >>topic/question for later).
    >>
    >>If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    >>take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    >>again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    >>talking about the body of the Hummer.
    >>I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    >>in focus hummers.
    >>I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    > Stop your lens down.
    >
    >>p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    >>the readers can see what I'm referring to.

    > No this is NOT a binary group. Post the photos on a web site somewhere or
    > one of the binary newsgroups.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf

    like " alt.binaries.photos.original "

    banjo`s, May 17, 2007
  4. dohc46

    Recycle THIS Guest

    "dohc46" <> wrote in message
    > If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    > take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    > again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    > talking about the body of the Hummer.
    > I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    > in focus hummers.
    > I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    Try using a slightly higher aperture number than the one you're using at the
    moment.

    Recycle THIS, May 17, 2007
  5. dohc46

    Marutchi Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Equipment at my disposal:
    >
    > Digital Rebel XT
    > EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    > EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    > 580EX Flash
    >
    > Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    > topic/question for later).
    >
    > If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    > take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    > again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    > talking about the body of the Hummer.
    > I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    > in focus hummers.
    > I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?
    >
    > p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    > the readers can see what I'm referring to.

    alt.binaries.birds.

    Marutchi, May 17, 2007
  6. dohc46

    ASAAR Guest

    On 16 May 2007 17:16:07 -0700, dohc46 wrote:

    > Digital Rebel XT
    > EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    > EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    > 580EX Flash
    >
    > Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    > topic/question for later).
    >
    > If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    > take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    > again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    > talking about the body of the Hummer.
    > I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    > in focus hummers.
    > I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    Consider how you'd best be able to get two similar sized
    stationary objects in simultaneous focus. Obvious answer. They
    should both be the same distance from the lens. Are there any
    objects that would cause the hummingbirds to be more likely to be in
    line, such as aligned flowers or feeding stations? If so, position
    yourself perpendicular to that alignment.

    Next, since the birds are unlikely to faithfully honor your
    alignment wishes, try to maximize the camera's depth of field. One
    thing to do is use the smallest aperture that won't unreasonably
    degrade the image. Measures that can help allow using the smallest
    aperture are selecting a high ISO, taking pictures in bright
    daylight rather than in shade, and selecting a slower shutter speed.
    You did say that for now, stopping the wings isn't a priority. :)

    Last, get as far from the birds as your lenses will allow. That
    is, if you wanted to get one object in perfect focus and another as
    far out of focus a possible, you'd probably get as close to the
    objects as possible, using a macro lens with a DSLR or a macro
    setting on a P&S. So try shooting with your EF 70-300mm lens at its
    300mm focal length and as far from the birds as practical. I assume
    that this might be too far from the birds for the 580EX if you use a
    really small aperture, so try to avoid using the flash until you
    want to freeze the wings. If you need to use it and the flash can't
    handle the distance, using a remote trigger will allow it to be
    moved closer to the birds. You'll probably want to use a tripod if
    the 580EX won't be used.

    ASAAR, May 17, 2007
  7. dohc46

    Frank ess Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Equipment at my disposal:
    >
    > Digital Rebel XT
    > EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    > EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    > 580EX Flash
    >
    > Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    > topic/question for later).
    >
    > If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    > take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    > again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    > talking about the body of the Hummer.
    > I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    > in focus hummers.
    > I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?
    >
    > p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    > the readers can see what I'm referring to.
    >
    > Thanks

    If the birds are in a consistent relationship, try to get an angle on
    them where they are in a plane parallel to the camera's sensor.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, May 17, 2007
  8. dohc46

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/16/07 10:35 PM, in article
    , "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    > dohc46 wrote:
    >> Equipment at my disposal:
    >>
    >> Digital Rebel XT
    >> EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    >> EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    >> 580EX Flash
    >>
    >> Note: My question isn't regarding the wings (I'll save that advanced
    >> topic/question for later).
    >>
    >> If 2 Hummingbirds are flying around about 3 feet apart, every time I
    >> take a picture 1 Hummer is in focus while the other is out of focus,
    >> again not talking about wings (they are always blurred) I'm simply
    >> talking about the body of the Hummer.
    >> I've seen numerous photos, from other people, that produces multiple
    >> in focus hummers.
    >> I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?
    >>
    >> p.s. Is there a way to attach photos to messages, like this one, so
    >> the readers can see what I'm referring to.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If the birds are in a consistent relationship, try to get an angle on
    > them where they are in a plane parallel to the camera's sensor.

    I would suggest using "stunt" hummers.

    George Kerby, May 17, 2007

  9. > > dohc46 wrote:

    > >> I'm not sure what the secret is, any ideas?

    The secret is taking many (read hundreds) of shots to get a "perfect"
    one.

    If you have PS, you could try selecting the out of focus bird and just
    sharpening it, but the results will still be unsatisfactory.

    The perfect shot will be an accident that you will not reproduce for
    many a day.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, May 17, 2007