    Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?

    Thank you in advance ...

    , Jan 12, 2007

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 Jan 2007 20:18:39 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I installed a high speed line from my telephone company this afternoon
    >and I noticed that the out going email no longer works. It always
    >comes back with the message that the the server refused the
    >connection/password/bad greeting. The other functions like incoming
    >email and internet including web email are fine.

    What is the EXACT wording of the error?

    >Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?

    Yes.

    But, you provided no details on the error.

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:18:39 -0800, Has Frothed:

    > I installed a high speed line from my telephone company this afternoon
    > and I noticed that the out going email no longer works. It always
    > comes back with the message that the the server refused the
    > connection/password/bad greeting. The other functions like incoming
    > email and internet including web email are fine.
    >
    > Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?
    >
    > Thank you in advance ...

    New internet provider on the high speed line?

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Yes.
    >
    > But, you provided no details on the error.

    Here's what I see on the AOL account:

    An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
    greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 205.188.159.185
    (205.188.159.185:25), connect error 10060.

    , Jan 12, 2007
  5. Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > New internet provider on the high speed line?

    No, it's an existing AOL account setup with MS Outlook. Has been
    working fine before.

    , Jan 12, 2007
  6. Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 Jan 2007 20:45:51 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
    >greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 205.188.159.185
    >(205.188.159.185:25), connect error 10060.

    Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
    their own.

    Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2007
  7. Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
    > their own.
    >
    > Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.

    That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?

    , Jan 12, 2007
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 Jan 2007 21:23:19 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?

    To prevent spam. You can't go and use open relays to send out a
    barrage of spam.

    Evan Platt, Jan 12, 2007
  9. Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > To prevent spam. You can't go and use open relays to send out a
    > barrage of spam.

    Fair enough. Thanks ...

    , Jan 12, 2007
  10. Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:23:19 -0800, Has Frothed:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
    >> their own.
    >>
    >> Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.
    >>

    > That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?

    Cuts down spam.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 12, 2007
  11. Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:51:01 -0800, Has Frothed:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >>
    >> To prevent spam. You can't go and use open relays to send out a
    >> barrage of spam.
    >>

    > Fair enough. Thanks ...

    See if your new provider will give you an opt-out on port 25.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jan 12, 2007