Our dvd players are starting to suck.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by paora, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. paora

    paora Guest

    Used to have a older Sony that didn't play some particularly
    format/protected? dvds - someone kindly? swapped that for an Auriga
    brand player. The sony was crap for cdrs as well.

    Now the Auriga 'stumbles' around the hour mark - just stops on a frame
    and restarts a little further on. Also have a borrowed Samsung that
    does the same and the old creative dvdrom drive I use also has trouble
    reading these disks - I even tried to 'rip' the movie to hd and watch
    it from there but any number of retries failed to do that.

    The disks I'm pretty sure are dvdr - one being a Chinese copy of a
    movie. One of the others looks like a copy although I'm sure it was
    bought as an original (porn dvd bought in oz) but it looks like the
    label has been homemade.

    These players have all played Chinese copies before - copies bought in
    China and brought back here - but that was from at least a year ago.

    So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    the first hour and then start 'playing up'.

    The chinese copy does play ok on the dvd/vcr belonging to the person I
    borrowed it from.

    paora, Mar 17, 2005

  2. paora

    PC Guest

    "paora" <> wrote in message
    > Used to have a older Sony that didn't play some particularly
    > format/protected? dvds - someone kindly? swapped that for an Auriga
    > brand player. The sony was crap for cdrs as well.
    >
    > Now the Auriga 'stumbles' around the hour mark - just stops on a frame
    > and restarts a little further on. Also have a borrowed Samsung that
    > does the same and the old creative dvdrom drive I use also has trouble
    > reading these disks - I even tried to 'rip' the movie to hd and watch
    > it from there but any number of retries failed to do that.
    >
    > The disks I'm pretty sure are dvdr - one being a Chinese copy of a
    > movie. One of the others looks like a copy although I'm sure it was
    > bought as an original (porn dvd bought in oz) but it looks like the
    > label has been homemade.
    >
    > These players have all played Chinese copies before - copies bought in
    > China and brought back here - but that was from at least a year ago.
    >
    > So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    > fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    > the first hour and then start 'playing up'.
    >
    > The chinese copy does play ok on the dvd/vcr belonging to the person I
    > borrowed it from.

    Possibly the change over from one layer to the next.
    i.e. pause while the Laser refocuses.

    Paul.

    PC, Mar 17, 2005

  3. paora

    Rob J Guest

    In article <1111038553.b691268196d36cc43acee8ca2005d6ef@teranews> in
    nz.comp on Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:47:21 GMT, paora <>
    says...
    > Used to have a older Sony that didn't play some particularly
    > format/protected? dvds - someone kindly? swapped that for an Auriga
    > brand player. The sony was crap for cdrs as well.
    >
    > Now the Auriga 'stumbles' around the hour mark - just stops on a frame
    > and restarts a little further on. Also have a borrowed Samsung that
    > does the same and the old creative dvdrom drive I use also has trouble
    > reading these disks - I even tried to 'rip' the movie to hd and watch
    > it from there but any number of retries failed to do that.
    >
    > The disks I'm pretty sure are dvdr - one being a Chinese copy of a
    > movie. One of the others looks like a copy although I'm sure it was
    > bought as an original (porn dvd bought in oz) but it looks like the
    > label has been homemade.
    >
    > These players have all played Chinese copies before - copies bought in
    > China and brought back here - but that was from at least a year ago.
    >
    > So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    > fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    > the first hour and then start 'playing up'.

    Sure it's not a dual layer disk changing layers?

    Rob J, Mar 17, 2005
  4. paora

    paora Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:25:12 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:

    >> So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    >> fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    >> the first hour and then start 'playing up'.

    >Sure it's not a dual layer disk changing layers?

    Is there a way to determine what type disk it is?

    paora, Mar 17, 2005
  5. On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:47:21 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >Used to have a older Sony that didn't play some particularly
    >format/protected? dvds - someone kindly? swapped that for an Auriga
    >brand player. The sony was crap for cdrs as well.
    >
    >Now the Auriga 'stumbles' around the hour mark - just stops on a frame
    >and restarts a little further on. Also have a borrowed Samsung that
    >does the same and the old creative dvdrom drive I use also has trouble
    >reading these disks - I even tried to 'rip' the movie to hd and watch
    >it from there but any number of retries failed to do that.
    >
    >The disks I'm pretty sure are dvdr - one being a Chinese copy of a
    >movie. One of the others looks like a copy although I'm sure it was
    >bought as an original (porn dvd bought in oz) but it looks like the
    >label has been homemade.
    >
    >These players have all played Chinese copies before - copies bought in
    >China and brought back here - but that was from at least a year ago.
    >
    >So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    >fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    >the first hour and then start 'playing up'.
    >
    >The chinese copy does play ok on the dvd/vcr belonging to the person I
    >borrowed it from.

    Well if you buy unknown Crap what do you expect..

    Plus do you Smoke..?

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 17, 2005
  6. On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:00:14 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"paora" <> wrote in message
    >> Used to have a older Sony that didn't play some particularly
    >> format/protected? dvds - someone kindly? swapped that for an Auriga
    >> brand player. The sony was crap for cdrs as well.
    >>
    >> Now the Auriga 'stumbles' around the hour mark - just stops on a frame
    >> and restarts a little further on. Also have a borrowed Samsung that
    >> does the same and the old creative dvdrom drive I use also has trouble
    >> reading these disks - I even tried to 'rip' the movie to hd and watch
    >> it from there but any number of retries failed to do that.
    >>
    >> The disks I'm pretty sure are dvdr - one being a Chinese copy of a
    >> movie. One of the others looks like a copy although I'm sure it was
    >> bought as an original (porn dvd bought in oz) but it looks like the
    >> label has been homemade.
    >>
    >> These players have all played Chinese copies before - copies bought in
    >> China and brought back here - but that was from at least a year ago.
    >>
    >> So has something changed with the way dvdrs are being 'written' - too
    >> fast, too careless? It's just stange that the movies play ok for up to
    >> the first hour and then start 'playing up'.
    >>
    >> The chinese copy does play ok on the dvd/vcr belonging to the person I
    >> borrowed it from.

    >Possibly the change over from one layer to the next.
    >i.e. pause while the Laser refocuses.
    >
    >Paul.

    Good DVD Players have A buffer and you do not see the layer switch..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 17, 2005
  7. paora

    paora Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:37:53 +1300, BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >Well if you buy unknown Crap what do you expect..
    >
    >Plus do you Smoke..?

    Is that an answer?

    The crap players have played everything else.
    The crap dvds play on other players.

    I had more disatisfaction from the original Sony - stinking POS.

    Used to smoke - now I just cough.

    paora, Mar 18, 2005
  8. paora

    BILL Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:57:58 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:37:53 +1300, BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    >
    >>Well if you buy unknown Crap what do you expect..
    >>
    >>Plus do you Smoke..?

    >Is that an answer?
    >
    >The crap players have played everything else.
    >The crap dvds play on other players.
    >
    >I had more disatisfaction from the original Sony - stinking POS.
    >
    >Used to smoke - now I just cough.

    Smaking kills the Lasers..

    BILL, Mar 18, 2005