Ouch! VoicePulse policy

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kyler Laird, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I'm moving a customer from toll-free DID to local DIDs. We decided to
    try VoicePulse, a service I'd used earlier. He made an account and I
    configured his Asterisk machine for it. It worked. He added numbers to
    the account and they automatically worked with the single registration.
    It was up to my customer to decide which numbers to get and he could
    administer those without touching the Asterisk configuration. Slick.

    However...today there was a strange outage at VoicePulse and while I had
    a tech on the line I decided to clarify a concern I had over this FAQ
    answer.
    http://voicepulse.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/voicepulse.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=161
    My problem was with "accounts have a total of 4 channels". I was
    assuming that each time we added a new number (for $11, the same as we'd
    pay for a new account) we'd get another 4 channels allocated. Surprise!
    It doesn't work that way.

    No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
    and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
    the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.

    Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
    for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
    and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
    month?

    Having lots of accounts is going to be a real pain but $1520/month is
    worth a little effort. Beware if you were thinking of using VoicePulse
    with a bunch of DIDs.

    Other than this issue and the outage this morning I like VoicePulse.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Kyler Laird <> writes:
    > No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
    > and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
    > the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.

    I think you found their trick for separating home users from business
    users. Luckily you are running a very flexible pbx and can take
    advantage of the low per-phonenumber price and don't have to buy
    expensive extra channels.

    Just out of curiosity where is $11/mo plan on their web site. I only
    see 3 plans at $27/$16/$49 per month.

    > Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
    > for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
    > and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
    > month?

    Are you sure you need more than 20 channels total? Phone companies
    normally have these tables for how many simultaneous lines you can
    expect in use. Unless we are talking about a call-center or
    phone-spamming operation (and I assume you wouldn't be involved with
    the latter!), I'd expect much less than half the lines to be in use.

    If we are talking consulting wages and the hassle of just logging into
    20 different accounts at voicepulse to fund them and set the passwords
    we are already talking several hours monkey-work. It might save money
    to just get 10 channels and be done with it.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Kyler Laird wrote:
    > I'm moving a customer from toll-free DID to local DIDs. We decided to
    > try VoicePulse, a service I'd used earlier. He made an account and I
    > configured his Asterisk machine for it. It worked. He added numbers to
    > the account and they automatically worked with the single registration.
    > It was up to my customer to decide which numbers to get and he could
    > administer those without touching the Asterisk configuration. Slick.
    >
    > However...today there was a strange outage at VoicePulse and while I had
    > a tech on the line I decided to clarify a concern I had over this FAQ
    > answer.
    > http://voicepulse.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/voicepulse.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=161
    > My problem was with "accounts have a total of 4 channels". I was
    > assuming that each time we added a new number (for $11, the same as we'd
    > pay for a new account) we'd get another 4 channels allocated. Surprise!
    > It doesn't work that way.
    >
    > No, really...you mean I was going to have 20 numbers at $11 * 20 = $220
    > and I'd only get 4 simultaneous channels for all of those? Yes, but
    > the recommended way around it is to buy extra channels at $20 each.
    >
    > Well, let's see...I could get 20 *accounts* with a single number each
    > for $220 and have four channels per number. Or I could have one account
    > and buy 76 additional channels for $1740. Hmmm...$220 or $1740 per
    > month?
    >
    > Having lots of accounts is going to be a real pain but $1520/month is
    > worth a little effort. Beware if you were thinking of using VoicePulse
    > with a bunch of DIDs.
    >
    > Other than this issue and the outage this morning I like VoicePulse.
    >
    > --kyler

    Yuck... I wouldn't use them at all if this is the case.

    Jonathan Roberts, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Kyler Laird

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <_1qHh.3332$> Jonathan Roberts
    <> wrote:

    >Yuck... I wouldn't use them at all if this is the case.

    Amen.
    --
    Insert something clever here.

    DevilsPGD, Mar 7, 2007