Ouch! Big Phone Bill!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Sniffer-Dog, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Sniffer-Dog

    Sniffer-Dog Guest

    You'll never guess what my dumb ass did!

    I have a Broadband connection which I lost the connection to in June.
    The ADSL company I was with (CPBB) didn't inform me that they had sold
    out to another company (Fast 24), and they just switched all the
    details. It took me a few days to get through to them on the phone
    and sort things out.

    In those days I used my mobile phone to connect to the internet. I am
    with T-Mobile, and have 100 free minutes to use up. I hardly ever get
    anywhere near using that amount up during the course of the month.

    Anyway, instead of connecting through the modem part of the phone to
    access the internet at 9600 bps (or whatever speed it is), I must have
    used the GPRS to connect by mistake. Big Big mistake! :(

    I have the phone bill today. I have used up app 5 minutes of my 100
    minutes call time. I connected to the internet through GPRS instead
    of through the modem of the mobile phone.

    Call Costs £18 app
    Texts etc £4 app
    Mobile Data £87 app
    Standard Calls 50 pence app

    Total Damage including VAT, just short of £129.

    I believe there is one modem number listed in the standard calls
    section, so I must have connected via Modem at some stage.

    13,981 KB of Mobile Data for £87. When will a Mobile Phone company
    offer High Speed Internet Access for reasonable prices? And not just
    those crappy WAP sites via your phone either? What about the real
    thing on a bigger screen?

    Who wants to pay a few hundred for a 2mp Sony Ericsson Camera phone
    when you can have a proper digital camera with 7mp for the same price
    or less? Are there any others who think mobile phones are a rip-off
    at the moment?

    Next time I will have to be prepared for anything like this and have
    the backup of a dial-up number via 56k modem, and preferably a local
    number to dial into in case I ever need to use my mobile. I didn't
    have 56k dial-up access, that's why I used my mobile this time, just
    the wrong part of the bloody thing unfortunately.

    OH God! I have just thought! All the alcohol I could have bought :(
    My sadness deepens :(

    John
    Sniffer-Dog, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Sniffer-Dog

    Soruk Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:19:26 +0100, Sniffer-Dog <> wrote:
    >13,981 KB of Mobile Data for £87. When will a Mobile Phone company
    >offer High Speed Internet Access for reasonable prices?

    Orange (pay monthly) with World Access 10 that would have come in at
    £10.92, with WA4 £13.66, or on PAYU £30.31. PAYG at £4/Mb with the PAYG
    version of WA4 would have totalled £42.61 or £54.61 without the bundle.

    Even Virgin Mobile would have been < £70 (just!). To add insult to injury
    they use the same infrastructure as T-Mobile.

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
    Eridani Star System

    MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.mailmeanywhere.com/
    Soruk, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Sniffer-Dog

    Marc Guest

    Sniffer-Dog wrote:
    > OH God! I have just thought! All the alcohol I could have bought :(
    > My sadness deepens :(

    T-mobile are a ripp off, UNLESS you get a data allowence - in which case
    they're not bad at all.

    --
    Marc
    Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information and reviews.
    Marc, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Sniffer-Dog

    Stuart Guest

    My friends boyfriend also was in the same situation, los their broadband due
    to moving.
    He decided to use the internet via his mobile, well.
    After a week into his new billing month, he received a phone call from
    vodafone telling him his bill was up to £850.

    Data transfer isnt the cheapest on vodafone as you can tell, but its not
    cheap on anynetwork.

    I am guessing he was connecting via 3G as well making things worse.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Sniffer-Dog

    The One Guest