"Otoko wa tsurai yo" -- 47 Sequels, 48 Installments in All!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by NYC XYZ, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hi, All:

    Know where this amazing franchise is available on DVD?

    Surely something which incurred 48 incarnations over 25 years is a
    must-see!

    I hear it's sentimental, I hear it's formulaic -- but it's a Japanese
    classic, a perennial favorite, full of panaramic Technicolor
    on-location sweeps of the Japanese countryside and cityscape.

    "Otoko wa tsurai yo" translates as "it's hard to be a man." These
    movies are the picaresque adventures of a lovable and all-too-human
    itinerant salesman of kitchenware who inevitably falls in love and is
    inevitably rejected, and whose schemes get himself or his family and
    friends into heaps of trouble but who's indefatigable and always
    returns to repeat the whole formula in the next episode. How could
    this be the 21st Century and no English editions available of this
    mainstream Japanese hit??

    Is this available on DVD in Japan? Are there, finally, English subs
    available?
    NYC XYZ, Jan 21, 2006

  2. NYC XYZ

    beernuts Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Hi, All:
    >
    > Know where this amazing franchise is available on DVD?

    It is not available on DVD.
    beernuts, Jan 21, 2006

  3. NYC XYZ

    jimmy Guest

    These DVDs with english subtitles are available from YesAsia and DVD
    Asian. Just do a search for "Tora-san". They are being released
    gradually starting from the first one and they are up to number 25 now.

    jimmy, Jan 22, 2006
  4. NYC XYZ

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <12HAf.21120$>, jimmy
    <> wrote:

    > These DVDs with english subtitles are available from YesAsia and DVD
    > Asian. Just do a search for "Tora-san". They are being released
    > gradually starting from the first one and they are up to number 25 now.
    >
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >> Hi, All:
    >>
    >> Know where this amazing franchise is available on DVD?
    >>
    >> Surely something which incurred 48 incarnations over 25 years is a
    >> must-see!
    >>
    >> I hear it's sentimental, I hear it's formulaic -- but it's a Japanese
    >> classic, a perennial favorite, full of panaramic Technicolor
    >> on-location sweeps of the Japanese countryside and cityscape.
    >>
    >> "Otoko wa tsurai yo" translates as "it's hard to be a man." These
    >> movies are the picaresque adventures of a lovable and all-too-human
    >> itinerant salesman of kitchenware who inevitably falls in love and is
    >> inevitably rejected, and whose schemes get himself or his family and
    >> friends into heaps of trouble but who's indefatigable and always
    >> returns to repeat the whole formula in the next episode. How could
    >> this be the 21st Century and no English editions available of this
    >> mainstream Japanese hit??

    Probably because once you see two or three Tora-Sans, you've seen them all.
    Also, the rather specialized nature of their Japaneseness means they have
    little to offer the average North American DVD buyer. Even in Japan,
    Tora-San appealed primarily to a conservative, older audience, who relished
    the series' nostalgic depiction of an idealized Japan they remembered
    vaguely from their youth, a Japan that had long since ceased to exist; a
    Japan of small old-fashioned neighborhoods that somehow survived in the
    middle of the urban landscape; neighborhoods where everyone knew everyone
    else, the sun always shone, people looked out for each other, and nothing
    really bad ever happened. The Tora-San series only came to an end after 27
    years when its indefatigable star, Atsumi Kiyoshi, died in 1996 at the age
    of 68. So identified was he with the role that continuing the series was
    simply impossible. More recently the series' creator, producer and long-time
    director, Yamada Yoji, has unexpectedly turned his attention to the Samurai
    genre; his excellent 2002 feature, "The Twilight Samurai", won wide acclaim;
    but its 2005 followup, "The Hidden Blade", is reportedly quite
    disappointing.

    The Tora-Sans were formulaic in the extreme, tho sorta fun in small doses
    (and it was nice to see Ryu Chishu, of Ozu fame, get so much work so late in
    life-- he always played the neighborhood priest). Recommended primarily for
    people who really, really enjoy "Coronation Street" or Andy Hardy movies.
    GMW
    G. M. Watson, Jan 22, 2006
  5. NYC XYZ

    Goro Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Hi, All:
    >
    > Know where this amazing franchise is available on DVD?
    >
    > Surely something which incurred 48 incarnations over 25 years is a
    > must-see!
    >
    > I hear it's sentimental, I hear it's formulaic -- but it's a Japanese
    > classic, a perennial favorite, full of panaramic Technicolor
    > on-location sweeps of the Japanese countryside and cityscape.
    >
    > "Otoko wa tsurai yo" translates as "it's hard to be a man." These
    > movies are the picaresque adventures of a lovable and all-too-human
    > itinerant salesman of kitchenware who inevitably falls in love and is
    > inevitably rejected, and whose schemes get himself or his family and
    > friends into heaps of trouble but who's indefatigable and always
    > returns to repeat the whole formula in the next episode. How could
    > this be the 21st Century and no English editions available of this
    > mainstream Japanese hit??
    >
    > Is this available on DVD in Japan? Are there, finally, English subs
    > available?

    Panorama hs released the first 18 or so on region 3, NTSC, DVD5,
    nonanamorphic, english subbed. It is available on R2 NTSC, DVD9,
    anamorphic, non-subbed also.

    check yesasia.com for the R3s and CDJapan for the R2s.

    I have many of them and i really enjoy them. They have some wonderful
    bits and are helped from Yamada Yojis wonderful and heartfelt
    direction. And also having Chieko Baisho is major for me!

    -goro-

    -goro-
    Goro, Jan 22, 2006
  6. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hey, thanks everybody!

    Bonus question: do you know where the soundtrack to "The Castle of
    Cagliostro" is? I'm specifically interested in that song from the
    opening credits. Very night-club-ish; blue but Japanese in its
    sentimentality (I know 'cause that's the stuff I heard them play in
    Taiwan, haha).

    NYC XYZ, Jan 24, 2006
  7. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCC-12210
    Justin, Jan 24, 2006
  8. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCC-12210

    Thanks for the reminder -- but these guys can't process my VISA for
    some reason the last time I tried, a year ago. I guess I'll try again
    and see. Anywhere else, or are they the only deal in Netland? I'm
    surprised the soundtrack isn't more widely available, given the
    popularity of the film.
    NYC XYZ, Jan 24, 2006
  9. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hey Everybody,

    Thanks for the insight! I doubt I'd get more than a few, but I'm
    really curious about the "make" of these films and just have to see for
    myself.

    Thanks again!!

    NYC XYZ, Jan 24, 2006