    match on a fresh XP install before all the servicepacks etc which I was
    hoping to have similar performance to.

    So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?
    Richard, May 30, 2009

  2. In message <gvqkqu$8q5$>, Richard wrote:

    > Put ulitmate on one and its a dog ...
    >
    > So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    I don't think there's any performance difference between the versions.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 30, 2009

  3. Richard

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-05-30, Richard <> wrote:
    > Got ultimate, but want to try it on some of my shitbox computers with
    > specs similar to a netbook to see how it goes compared to XP.
    >
    > Put ulitmate on one and its a dog - not as bad as vista but certainly no
    > match on a fresh XP install before all the servicepacks etc which I was
    > hoping to have similar performance to.
    >
    > So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    Yep, no problem. MS will deliver for some $$ at delivery time.

    BTW I thanks you for your reference to 7 being load comapred to xp. & is a
    slimed down Vista but it is not lean as XP.

    Yeah. yeah with i7 on the scene who cares? Yeah right
    Gordon, May 30, 2009
  4. Richard

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Got ultimate, but want to try it on some of my shitbox computers with
    > specs similar to a netbook to see how it goes compared to XP.
    >
    > Put ulitmate on one and its a dog - not as bad as vista but certainly no
    > match on a fresh XP install before all the servicepacks etc which I was
    > hoping to have similar performance to.
    >
    > So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    My understanding is that you won't be able to get a "basic" edition of
    Window 7 outside of developing countries.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

    If it's the so-called "Starter" edition you're interested in, you'll have to
    wait for the official release, because it involves an entirely different
    installation image than that used for the RC, which, as you've discovered,
    gives you Home Premium or Ultimate.

    The minimum specs for Home Premium or Ultimate are pretty much the same as
    those for Vista, so no "shitbox" computers allowed and definitely no
    netbooks. To run either Premium or Ultimate reasonably well you'll need at
    least a second-generation or better dual-core processor, 3-4 Gb of memory,
    and a DirectX-9 compliant graphics card with some post 2006 grunt to it.

    If it's a netbook you really want, I fail to see why you'd be at all
    interested in Windows 7. Seems like a waste to me just to run a teeny
    browser, maybe check your email, listen to music. I'd hold out for an iPhone
    or something similar instead.
    impossible, May 30, 2009
  5. On May 31, 2:03 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > Got ultimate, but want to try it on some of my shitbox computers with
    > > specs similar to a netbook to see how it goes compared to XP.

    > > Put ulitmate on one and its a dog - not as bad as vista but certainly no
    > > match on a fresh XP install before all the servicepacks etc which I was
    > > hoping to have similar performance to.

    > > So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    > My understanding is that you won't be able to get a "basic" edition of
    > Window 7 outside of developing countries.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    >
    > If it's the so-called "Starter" edition you're interested in, you'll have to
    > wait for the official release, because it involves an entirely different
    > installation image than that used for the RC, which, as you've discovered,
    > gives you Home Premium or Ultimate.

    In the Windows 7 ISO that you have downloaded, go into \sources dir
    and delete ei.cfg
    Then you can install any of the Windows 7 RC editions that are in that
    install.wim image

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 1, 2009
  6. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:03 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>> Got ultimate, but want to try it on some of my shitbox computers
    >>> with specs similar to a netbook to see how it goes compared to XP.

    >>> Put ulitmate on one and its a dog - not as bad as vista but
    >>> certainly no match on a fresh XP install before all the
    >>> servicepacks etc which I was hoping to have similar performance to.

    >>> So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    >> My understanding is that you won't be able to get a "basic" edition
    >> of Window 7 outside of developing countries.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    >>
    >> If it's the so-called "Starter" edition you're interested in, you'll
    >> have to wait for the official release, because it involves an
    >> entirely different installation image than that used for the RC,
    >> which, as you've discovered, gives you Home Premium or Ultimate.

    > In the Windows 7 ISO that you have downloaded, go into \sources dir
    > and delete ei.cfg
    > Then you can install any of the Windows 7 RC editions that are in that
    > install.wim image

    Impossible? Wrong? I can't believe it!

    Good to 'see' you back here Nathan. It's always good to get acual facts.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2009
  7. Richard

    impossible Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    On May 31, 2:03 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> > Got ultimate, but want to try it on some of my shitbox computers with
    >> > specs similar to a netbook to see how it goes compared to XP.

    >> > Put ulitmate on one and its a dog - not as bad as vista but certainly
    >> > no
    >> > match on a fresh XP install before all the servicepacks etc which I was
    >> > hoping to have similar performance to.

    >> > So can it be neutered into something more like the basic version?

    >> My understanding is that you won't be able to get a "basic" edition of
    >> Window 7 outside of developing countries.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    >>
    >> If it's the so-called "Starter" edition you're interested in, you'll have
    >> wait for the official release, because it involves an entirely different
    >> installation image than that used for the RC, which, as you've
    >> discovered,
    >> gives you Home Premium or Ultimate.

    > In the Windows 7 ISO that you have downloaded, go into \sources dir
    > and delete ei.cfg
    > Then you can install any of the Windows 7 RC editions that are in that
    > install.wim image

    I stand corrected. Thanks.

    impossible, Jun 1, 2009