    to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other people
    get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.

    angela
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=, Oct 30, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

    JP Bless Guest

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

    JP Bless, Oct 30, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You may also want to take a look at, Wireless, Basic Configuration -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html and

    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Oct 30, 2006
  4. "Angelucha52" <> wrote in message
    >A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
    > unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should
    > check
    > it out.
    >
    > Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are
    > linked
    > to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other
    > people
    > get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.
    >
    > angela

    Turn on wireless encryption on your router and computer.

    Turn off DHCP in your router and manually assign the IP address at your
    computer.

    If you have it, turn ON MAC filtering at your router (may also be known as
    Access List) and allow only those that you allow on your network to easily
    use it.

    While all the above are security things you can employ, please note that
    wireless isn't really all that safe no matter what you do when using it.
    Most people will be kept out with the above but a serious hacker wont and it
    is very easy to find programs on Internet to allow you to get in anyway.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 30, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

    GTS Guest

    I think you're confusing the list of available wireless connections with
    computers "linked to my wireless network." What you are seeing is a list of
    Wireless Access points within range. You needn't be concerned if your
    neighbors are running unsecured WAP's. You need only make sure that your
    own is properly secured and that that is the one you connect to.

    GTS, Oct 30, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    Go into your router and check to see if SSID is broadcasting, if so, turn boadcasting off. This, together with the MAC filtering, should send your neighbors looking for a new "free meal". If not, engage your router's WPA security. Good luck & let us know if it worked.
    joe6840, Oct 30, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

    ProjectD

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Sunshine State
    Enable your security for the wireless settings. Although they are not suppose to piggy back on your network, you can't stop them unless you have security settings enabled.
    ProjectD, Nov 1, 2006