    What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    it is Incorporated although it is neither one?
    saphire, Dec 21, 2005

  2. saphire

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "saphire" <> wrote in message
    news:iG2qf.5473$xF6.4618@fed1read01...
    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    There's no OT here!
    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005

  3. saphire

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 20 Dec 2005
    19:00:15 -0700, canst thou now find out, to hide "saphire"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    >member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    >it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    Refuse to do business with them!

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Dec 21, 2005
  4. saphire

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:iG2qf.5473$xF6.4618@fed1read01,
    saphire spewed forth:
    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    Start by contacting the BBB.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2005
  5. saphire

    Franklin Guest

    saphire wrote:
    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    Goto the BBB and to the State.
    Franklin, Dec 21, 2005
  6. saphire

    SgtMinor Guest

    saphire wrote:
    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    You had to contact the BBB to learn this firm is not a member, did you
    say anything?

    And how did you figure out this firm is not a corporation?
    SgtMinor, Dec 21, 2005
  7. saphire

    John Inzer Guest

    saphire wrote:
    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    ==================================
    Companies become a member of BBB by
    paying a membership fee. Companies usually
    incorporate for financial / tax reasons. Who
    cares if they do or don't? If you feel the company
    in question is being deceptive...take your business
    elsewhere.

    --

    John Inzer
    John Inzer, Dec 21, 2005
  8. saphire

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:42:39 -0500, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    >You had to contact the BBB to learn this firm is not a member, did you
    >say anything?

    A simple lookup on the BBB's web site would verify if a company is a
    member. No human interaction involved.

    >And how did you figure out this firm is not a corporation?

    Most states have a online lookup. :)
    Evan Platt, Dec 21, 2005
  9. saphire

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 02:06:13 GMT, "Rich Wilson"
    <> wrote:

    >There's no OT here!

    Oh? Ok, I'll have all my friends TEST here then. :-D
    Evan Platt, Dec 21, 2005
  10. saphire

    saphire Guest

    Okay - here's the background.
    While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work which she
    was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When they finished
    presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and frightened into
    signing a Credit Card charge for that amount.

    I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is the
    reason for the question.

    The BBB and Incorporation information was easily found
    on the web but not much else was offered.

    saphire, Dec 21, 2005
  11. saphire

    Mitch Guest

    In article <8H7qf.5510$xF6.643@fed1read01>, saphire
    <> wrote:

    > Okay - here's the background.
    > While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work which she
    > was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When they finished
    > presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and frightened into
    > signing a Credit Card charge for that amount.
    >
    > I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is the
    > reason for the question.
    >
    > The BBB and Incorporation information was easily found
    > on the web but not much else was offered.

    Some states (most?) have a consumer board for contractor fraud like
    that.
    Best to start with them, since they can probably streamline the whole
    process or put you together with other complaints to the same company
    if there are some.
    Mitch, Dec 21, 2005
  12. saphire

    AGEE Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:42:28 -0700, "saphire" <>
    wrote:

    >Okay - here's the background.
    >While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work which she
    >was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When they finished
    >presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and frightened into
    >signing a Credit Card charge for that amount.
    >
    >I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is the
    >reason for the question.

    Try a legal newsgroup.
    Us.legal maybe the one you need

    AGEE, Dec 21, 2005
  13. saphire

    Book End Guest

    "saphire" <> wrote in message
    > Okay - here's the background.
    > While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work which
    > she was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When they finished
    > presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and frightened
    > into signing a Credit Card charge for that amount.
    >
    > I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is the
    > reason for the question.
    >
    > The BBB and Incorporation information was easily found
    > on the web but not much else was offered.
    >
    > "saphire" <> wrote in message
    >> What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    >> member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    >> it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    Did you report the incident to your bank? They can't delay or stop a
    disputed transaction if you didn't tell them about it.
    Book End, Dec 21, 2005
  14. saphire

    John Inzer Guest

    saphire wrote:
    > Okay - here's the background.
    > While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do
    > some work which she was quoted a charge of a of
    > approximately $100.00. When they finished presented a
    > bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and
    > frightened into signing a Credit Card charge for that
    > amount.
    >
    > I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is
    > the
    > reason for the question.
    >
    > The BBB and Incorporation information was easily found
    > on the web but not much else was offered.

    ==================================
    I guess that explains why you were interested
    in the BBB and incorporation info.

    Seems to me that this type of fraud should be
    reported to your credit card company and your
    local police department.

    --

    John Inzer
    John Inzer, Dec 21, 2005
  15. saphire

    dadiOH Guest

    saphire wrote:
    > Okay - here's the background.
    > While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work
    > which she was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When
    > they finished presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was
    > intimidated and frightened into signing a Credit Card charge for that
    > amount.

    Gun? Knife? Club?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Dec 21, 2005
  16. saphire

    SgtMinor Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:42:39 -0500, SgtMinor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>You had to contact the BBB to learn this firm is not a member, did you
    >>say anything?

    > A simple lookup on the BBB's web site would verify if a company is a
    > member. No human interaction involved.
    >
    >>And how did you figure out this firm is not a corporation?

    > Most states have a online lookup. :)

    Thanks for that reply Evan, but I was addressing the OP.

    If you look up someone's BBB membership, for whatever that may be worth,
    is there not an opportunity to lodge a complaint on that site?

    Which states do not have an online lookup for corporations? Maybe the
    OP lives in one of those. And if a corporation is registered in, say,
    Delaware will that show up in Ohio?
    SgtMinor, Dec 21, 2005
  17. saphire

    Plato Guest

    saphire wrote:

    > Okay - here's the background.
    > While I was away from home, my wife called a firm to do some work which she
    > was quoted a charge of a of approximately $100.00. When they finished
    > presented a bill for over &2000.00. She was intimidated and frightened into
    > signing a Credit Card charge for that amount.
    >
    > I'm getting ready to take the firm to court and that is the
    > reason for the question.

    1. Cancel/challenge the credit card charge.

    2. Go to court. They wont show up. You win.
    Plato, Dec 22, 2005
  18. saphire

    Plato Guest

    saphire wrote:

    > What can be done to a firm that advertises it is a
    > member of the Better Business Bureau and also that
    > it is Incorporated although it is neither one?

    Nothing can be done to the firm, except not to buy from it if it falsly
    advertises.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 22, 2005
  19. saphire

    MSB Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 02:06:13 GMT, "Rich Wilson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>There's no OT here!

    > Oh? Ok, I'll have all my friends TEST here then. :-D
    > --
    > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

    My apologies but I don't frequent this group much any more. got too big and
    annoying trolls run me off. In the old days OT was Off Topic. Sorry if you
    got offended.
    MSB, Jan 6, 2006
  20. saphire

    MSB Guest