OT: Your first line of defense against phishing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 5.5 cents, May 25, 2004.

  1. 5.5 cents

    5.5 cents Guest

    If you are doing internet banking, you must have heard of all the
    phishing activities of how people entice you to go to a different
    website that looks exactly like your bank website. You logon to "your"
    bank with your username and password and then your details are stolen
    by the guys who are hosting "your spoofed bank" website.

    Image how nice it would be if your browser would let you know
    automatically if where you are going to is different from what it is
    published to go to.

    Soft Trek has taken the initiative to combat against phishing by
    giving to you the tool as the first step to combat against phishing;
    detecting and showing you if you are going to a different domain. This
    tool is aptly called IpGuardian. IpGuardian is an IE browser plugin
    specially designed to protect you against phishing.

    Read more at http://www.soft-trek.com.au/prjIPGuardian.asp

    5.5 cents, May 25, 2004

  2. 5.5 cents wrote:

    > If you are doing internet banking, you must have heard of all the
    > phishing activities of how people entice you to go to a different
    > website that looks exactly like your bank website. You logon to "your"
    > bank with your username and password and then your details are stolen
    > by the guys who are hosting "your spoofed bank" website.
    >
    > Image how nice it would be if your browser would let you know
    > automatically if where you are going to is different from what it is
    > published to go to.
    >
    > Soft On has taken the initiative to combat against phishing by
    > giving to you the tool as the first step to combat against phishing;
    > detecting and showing you if you are going to a different domain. This
    > tool is aptly called IpFreely. IpFreely is an IE browser plugin
    > specially designed to protect you against phishing.

    Yes, I buy all my security applications from phucking spammers.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2004

  3. 5.5 cents

    PCLogger Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in message news:<40b2b32a$0$191$>...
    > Yes, I buy all my security applications from phucking spammers.

    I don't honestly think this is a spam at all. First it is an OT.
    Second, with all the phishing activities going, it is good to have
    some defense than not at all. Roger if that is your real name, are you
    pro-phishing or against-phishing? I think with the art of phishing
    becoming more and more sophiscated, you really need all the help you
    can get.

    See this article http://www.antiphishing.org/news/03-31-04_Alert-FakeAddressBar.html
    if you are not scared yet. Then again, you may be one of them trying
    to discourage others not to get the tool that they may need.

    Only my 2 cents.

    PCLogger, May 25, 2004
  4. PCLogger wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in message news:<40b2b32a$0$191$>...
    >
    >>Yes, I buy all my security applications from phucking spammers.

    > I don't honestly think this is a spam at all. First it is an OT.
    > Second, with all the phishing activities going, it is good to have
    > some defense than not at all. Roger if that is your real name, are you
    > pro-phishing or against-phishing? I think with the art of phishing
    > becoming more and more sophiscated, you really need all the help you
    > can get.
    >
    > See this article http://www.antiphishing.org/news/03-31-04_Alert-FakeAddressBar.html
    > if you are not scared yet. Then again, you may be one of them trying
    > to discourage others not to get the tool that they may need.
    >
    > Only my 2 cents.

    I'm anti-spam and I think that advertising software for sale in this
    group qualifies as spamming. No matter how noble the motives (i.e. $$$),
    abusing newsgroups for commercial gain is one of the few no-nos that
    gets frowned upon here TINH. I'd say the same thing if Peter Norton
    dropped by here to inform us that viruses are not good and if we'd pony
    up the $50 or so he'd help us stay virus free.

    --
    Keep your 2 cents, it ain't worth it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 25, 2004
  5. 5.5 cents

    °Mike° Guest

    Putting "OT" in the subject line does NOT make it
    non-spam. And why did you change identities to
    reply to Roger? A sure sign of a spammer.

    On 24 May 2004 22:31:51 -0700, in
    <>
    PCLogger scrawled:

    >I don't honestly think this is a spam at all. First it is an OT.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 25, 2004
  6. 5.5 cents

    5.5 cents Guest

    I did believe that I am posting the appropriate content to the right
    forum (one that needs 24 hour support) but boy I was wrong. I
    sincerely apologise for my posting to the readers of the forum and if
    there is any inconvenience caused to you all, sorry.

    5.5 cents, May 25, 2004
  7. PCLogger spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>

    > I don't honestly think this is a spam at all. First it is an OT.
    > Second, with all the phishing activities going, it is good to have
    > some defense than not at all. Roger if that is your real name, are you
    > pro-phishing or against-phishing? I think with the art of phishing
    > becoming more and more sophiscated, you really need all the help you
    > can get.

    If it looks like spam, smells like spam, and advertises like spam it's
    spam.

    > See this article
    > <snipped> if you
    > are not scared yet.

    Ooooh. /me is quaking in my shoes....not

    > Then again, you may be one of them trying to
    > discourage others not to get the tool that they may need.

    The best solution is to not use IE, and not to believe everything one sees
    online.

    > Only my 2 cents.

    I think there's more involved here than $.02

    The spammer's IP addy from his headers:

    NNTP-Posting-Host:203.31.24.51

    Yours:

    NNTP-Posting-Host:203.31.24.51

    Wow! A spammer morphing his e-mail address to defend himself. What a novel
    idea (NOT!)

    **** off. (Lart's launched)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 25, 2004