OT You can't make this up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Jul 2, 2010.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jul 2, 2010

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    news:2010070209263793099-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    > On 2010-07-02 09:00:04 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    >
    >> The annual Nathan's hot dog eating contest is being sponsored by
    >> Pepto-Bismol.
    >>
    >> http://www.brandfreak.com/2010/06/peptobismol-finally-sponsoring-nathans-hotdogeating-contest.html

    > Now
    >>

    > is that a comment on the quality of Nathan's hot dogs, or the effect of
    > quantity on the competitors and their need for post competition relief?
    >
    > I would have thought the major sponsor for a Nathan's hot dog eating
    > contest would have been Nathan's.

    With the exception of Nathan's I am not a hot dog eater. the hot dog stand
    was open 24/7. A cheap date as movies and hot dogs at Nathan's. At some of
    my reserve weekends we would sneak out for hot dogs there at around 6:AM.
    The quality is not an issue. (I forgot to mention that a hot dog cost a
    dime. When they raised the price to 15 cents and then a quarter there was a
    wave of protest.)

    When I was in college that contest was strictly for fun. One of my
    fraternity brothers entered and IIRC came in third, by eating 6 hot dogs in
    ten minutes. Today it is a highly competitive, commercialized event. I
    understand that the winner of this contest a few years ago was prohibited by
    contract from competing at Nathan's.

    http://www.ifoce.com/.

    Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    --
    Peter
    Barfing shots stink

    Peter, Jul 2, 2010

  3. Peter

    ASCII Guest

    Peter wrote:

    >Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    >shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    One of my casual people pics:
    [HotDog.jpg] http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn

    ASCII, Jul 2, 2010
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Bowser" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:04:03 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    >>>shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    >>One of my casual people pics:
    >>[HotDog.jpg] http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn

    > Ketchup on a dog. There ought to be a law against that.

    Dirty Harry agrees with you!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

    Go ahead ASCII, make my day!

    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/679/why-is-there-no-ketchup-on-a-properly-made-hot-dog

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 2, 2010
  5. Peter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:35:48 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:04:03 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    :
    : >Peter wrote:
    : >>
    : >>Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    : >>shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    IIRC, Bret Douglas submitted a picture of some sort of eating contest (dogs?
    pizza?) to the Shoot-In a year or two ago. One of the contestants appeared to
    be no more than 15 seconds from losing it (and I don't mean the competition).

    : >One of my casual people pics:
    : >[HotDog.jpg] http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn
    :
    : Ketchup on a dog. There ought to be a law against that.

    No, NO! It's a *burger* that shouldn't have ketchup. The basic condiments for
    a dog are mustard, relish, and ketchup. Minced onions can be added, and salsa
    can be added or substituted for the ketchup.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 6, 2010
  6. "Bowser" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:04:03 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    >>>shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    >>One of my casual people pics:
    >>[HotDog.jpg] http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn

    > Ketchup on a dog. There ought to be a law against that.

    I guess I'd be executed for putting ketchup on my steak?

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Jul 7, 2010
  7. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2010-07-02 09:00:04 -0700, "Peter" <>
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> The annual Nathan's hot dog eating contest is being sponsored by
    >>> Pepto-Bismol.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.brandfreak.com/2010/06/peptobismol-finally-sponsoring-nathans-hotdogeating-contest.html

    >> Now
    >>>

    >> is that a comment on the quality of Nathan's hot dogs, or the effect of
    >> quantity on the competitors and their need for post competition relief?
    >>
    >> I would have thought the major sponsor for a Nathan's hot dog eating
    >> contest would have been Nathan's.
    >>

    > With the exception of Nathan's I am not a hot dog eater. the hot dog stand
    > was open 24/7. A cheap date as movies and hot dogs at Nathan's. At some of
    > my reserve weekends we would sneak out for hot dogs there at around 6:AM.
    > The quality is not an issue. (I forgot to mention that a hot dog cost a
    > dime. When they raised the price to 15 cents and then a quarter there was
    > a wave of protest.)
    >
    > When I was in college that contest was strictly for fun. One of my
    > fraternity brothers entered and IIRC came in third, by eating 6 hot dogs
    > in ten minutes. Today it is a highly competitive, commercialized event. I
    > understand that the winner of this contest a few years ago was prohibited
    > by contract from competing at Nathan's.
    >
    > http://www.ifoce.com/.
    >
    > Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    > shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Barfing shots stink

    Not a hot dog guy? Ever had a Boar's Head hot dog, particulary the one that
    come linked in the package? They are good. I used to eat a Kosher hot dog,
    the brand was Judea, IIRC, but I haven't seen those in years.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Jul 7, 2010
  8. Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:35:48 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    > : On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:04:03 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    > :
    > : >Peter wrote:
    > : >>
    > : >>Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    > : >>shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.
    >
    > IIRC, Bret Douglas submitted a picture of some sort of eating contest (dogs?
    > pizza?) to the Shoot-In a year or two ago. One of the contestants appeared to
    > be no more than 15 seconds from losing it (and I don't mean the competition).
    >
    > : >One of my casual people pics:
    > : >[HotDog.jpg] http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn
    > :
    > : Ketchup on a dog. There ought to be a law against that.
    >
    > No, NO! It's a *burger* that shouldn't have ketchup. The basic condiments for
    > a dog are mustard, relish, and ketchup. Minced onions can be added, and salsa
    > can be added or substituted for the ketchup.

    Agree on the dog recipe, but my burgers take catsup (approved alt.
    spelling) and bacon; sauteed onions if available; sometimes cheese.
    Toasted buns, always where possible. Nothing like a warm and toasted bun.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 7, 2010
  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:35:48 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> : On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:04:03 -0700, ASCII <> wrote:
    >> : : >Peter wrote: : >>
    >> : >>Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good
    >> people : >>shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.
    >>
    >> IIRC, Bret Douglas submitted a picture of some sort of eating contest
    >> (dogs?
    >> pizza?) to the Shoot-In a year or two ago. One of the contestants
    >> appeared to
    >> be no more than 15 seconds from losing it (and I don't mean the
    >> competition).
    >>
    >> : >One of my casual people pics: : >[HotDog.jpg]
    >> http://tinyurl.com/24s8pzn : : Ketchup on a dog. There ought to be a law
    >> against that.
    >>
    >> No, NO! It's a *burger* that shouldn't have ketchup. The basic condiments
    >> for
    >> a dog are mustard, relish, and ketchup. Minced onions can be added, and
    >> salsa
    >> can be added or substituted for the ketchup.

    > Agree on the dog recipe,

    On those rare occassions when I eat a dog it can have only mustard, relish
    and some sauerkraut. a do should have only Yeech! on the ketchup, I say.

    > but my burgers take catsup (approved alt. spelling) and bacon; sauteed
    > onions if available; sometimes cheese. Toasted buns, always where
    > possible. Nothing like a warm and toasted bun.

    A burger with bleu cheese and caramelized onions is unbeatable. Anything
    else is superfluous. However, I like burgers with any of the above, but not
    all.
    As to nice buns. .........

    Oh! hamburger buns, sorry, my mind wandered.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 7, 2010
  10. Peter

    John Turco Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > > On 2010-07-02 09:00:04 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    > >
    > >> The annual Nathan's hot dog eating contest is being sponsored by
    > >> Pepto-Bismol.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.brandfreak.com/2010/06/peptobismol-finally-sponsoring-nathans-hotdogeating-contest.html

    > > Now
    > >>

    > > is that a comment on the quality of Nathan's hot dogs, or the effect of
    > > quantity on the competitors and their need for post competition relief?
    > >
    > > I would have thought the major sponsor for a Nathan's hot dog eating
    > > contest would have been Nathan's.
    > >

    > With the exception of Nathan's I am not a hot dog eater. the hot dog stand
    > was open 24/7. A cheap date as movies and hot dogs at Nathan's. At some of
    > my reserve weekends we would sneak out for hot dogs there at around 6:AM.
    > The quality is not an issue. (I forgot to mention that a hot dog cost a
    > dime. When they raised the price to 15 cents and then a quarter there was a
    > wave of protest.)
    >
    > When I was in college that contest was strictly for fun. One of my
    > fraternity brothers entered and IIRC came in third, by eating 6 hot dogs in
    > ten minutes. Today it is a highly competitive, commercialized event. I
    > understand that the winner of this contest a few years ago was prohibited by
    > contract from competing at Nathan's.
    >
    > http://www.ifoce.com/.
    >
    > Photo tie in: Originally I thought eating contest might make good people
    > shots, but I was never able to master that form of the art.

    At Sam's Club, last week, I also enjoyed a Nathan's hot dog. I always
    look forward to my monthly ritual...because, it's the best damned dawg,
    in the whole, wide world.

    Costco can't compete, in this area (or in most others, I should add).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 20, 2010