OT: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!

    http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/

    From the article.

    "Tests suggest that there are some unusual and as yet unexplained
    features in SP2. For example, one test center reportedly
    installed SP2 and found it caused BSDs (blue screens of death).
    Using Microsoft's own suggested procedure to roll back to a
    pre-installation environment, they found that it also uninstalled
    SP1, and "uninstalled every device that existed in the PC.
    Network cards, video cards and all system resources were
    uninstalled.""

    I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    testing occurs.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Re: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

    I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM version
    on several machines...

    no bad experiences at all...

    Andrew Morris, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Andrew Morris wrote:

    > I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM version
    > on several machines...
    >
    > no bad experiences at all...

    Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
    statistically significant number of samples!

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Alan Browne

    Patrick L. Guest

    > The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!
    >
    > http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/

    I will wait till SP2 matures, before installing.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Aug 10, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Sabineellen Guest

    Re: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

    >Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
    >statistically significant number of samples!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alan.

    It's been running for a day on my machine now, not long enough to report
    anything conclusive, but all i can say is that i can see so far that it
    significantly enhances the responsiveness of my system. Main problem i had with
    it so far is that some of my applications don't like the firewall but this has
    happened with every firewall i installed. No other problems yet.

    Sabineellen, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    columbotrek Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > The braintrust at MS have done it yet again!
    >
    > http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/
    >
    > From the article.
    >
    > "Tests suggest that there are some unusual and as yet unexplained
    > features in SP2. For example, one test center reportedly installed SP2
    > and found it caused BSDs (blue screens of death). Using Microsoft's own
    > suggested procedure to roll back to a pre-installation environment, they
    > found that it also uninstalled SP1, and "uninstalled every device that
    > existed in the PC. Network cards, video cards and all system resources
    > were uninstalled.""
    >
    > I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world testing occurs.

    I also beta tested XP SP2 (RC1 & RC2) on my Dell. There were some
    quirkiness with RC1 but it went away with RC2. SP2 works great.
    Internet Exploreror's pop up blocker is a bit over agressive blocking a
    lot of good pop ups. Mozilla's broswer is smarter with its pop up
    blocker. It blocks all the ads while allowing the wanted popups. I like
    SP2's flexiable firewall and autoupdate features as well. Best OS from
    Microsoft so far. I read about some problems with older drivers. But I
    have not had any. But then I keep my drivers updated.

    columbotrek, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    Chris B Guest

    > Andrew Morris wrote:
    >
    > > I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM

    version
    > > on several machines...
    > >
    > > no bad experiences at all...
    > >

    > Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
    > statistically significant number of samples!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.

    We have one machine here with a release candidate version of SP2 - no
    problems, other than the user reporting that he now gets a message every
    time a document successfully prints (instead of only when it fails), which
    he described as 'annoying'.

    Chris

    Chris B, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Chris B wrote:

    > We have one machine here with a release candidate version of SP2 - no
    > problems, other than the user reporting that he now gets a message every
    > time a document successfully prints (instead of only when it fails), which
    > he described as 'annoying'.

    There's probably a setting buried somewhere that he can change...

    Alan Browne, Aug 10, 2004
  9. In article <vv4Sc.24575$>,
    says...
    > I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    > testing occurs.

    Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Brian C. Baird wrote:
    > In article <vv4Sc.24575$>,
    > says...
    >> I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    >> testing occurs.

    > Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.

    There appears to have been a change of mind.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 10, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Brian C. Baird wrote:

    > In article <vv4Sc.24575$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    >>testing occurs.

    > Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.

    XP SP2 will be. See the site. This will turn on later this month.

    Alan Browne, Aug 10, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Archibald Guest

    On 10 Aug 2004 15:15:44 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

    >>Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
    >>statistically significant number of samples!
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Alan.

    >It's been running for a day on my machine now, not long enough to report
    >anything conclusive, but all i can say is that i can see so far that it
    >significantly enhances the responsiveness of my system. Main problem i had with
    >it so far is that some of my applications don't like the firewall but this has
    >happened with every firewall i installed. No other problems yet.

    Best thing might be to disable the Win firewall and leave ZoneAlarm
    running. The Win firewall does not monitor outgoing traffic (such as
    from software calling home, or trojans and other malware contacting
    the mother ship).

    Archibald, Aug 10, 2004
  13. Alan Browne

    Magnus W Guest

    Re: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

    "Chris B" <> wrote in

    > We have one machine here with a release candidate version of SP2 - no
    > problems, other than the user reporting that he now gets a message
    > every time a document successfully prints (instead of only when it
    > fails), which he described as 'annoying'.

    Start/settings/printers, File/Server properties/Advanced, remove the
    checkbox in "notify when (etc)"

    Magnus W, Aug 10, 2004
  14. Alan Browne

    Sabineellen Guest

    Re: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

    >Best thing might be to disable the Win firewall and leave ZoneAlarm
    >running. The Win firewall does not monitor outgoing traffic (such as
    >from software calling home, or trojans and other malware contacting
    >the mother ship).

    The pre-SP2 firewall didn't, but i thought the SP2 firewall *did* monitor
    outgoing traffic as well.

    Sabineellen, Aug 10, 2004
  15. Alan Browne

    Bowser Guest

    "Brian C. Baird" <> wrote in message
    > In article <vv4Sc.24575$>,
    > says...
    > > I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    > > testing occurs.

    > Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.

    They are now. I've installed SP1 from the update site on several machines,
    and SP2 is going to be listed, as well. Check the site, the info is there.

    Bowser, Aug 10, 2004
  16. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian C. Baird wrote:
    > In article <vv4Sc.24575$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>I guess I'll turn off the auto-update until more real world
    >>testing occurs.

    > Last I checked, Service Packs weren't distributed through auto update.

    This one will be. Check windowsupdate site.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 10, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Archibald wrote:

    > On 10 Aug 2004 15:15:44 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:
    >

    >>>Glad to hear it. One for the + column. But I'll wait for a
    >>>statistically significant number of samples!
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Alan.

    >>It's been running for a day on my machine now, not long enough to report
    >>anything conclusive, but all i can say is that i can see so far that it
    >>significantly enhances the responsiveness of my system. Main problem i had with
    >>it so far is that some of my applications don't like the firewall but this has
    >>happened with every firewall i installed. No other problems yet.

    > Best thing might be to disable the Win firewall and leave ZoneAlarm
    > running. The Win firewall does not monitor outgoing traffic (such as
    > from software calling home, or trojans and other malware contacting
    > the mother ship).

    In reference to SP2, that information is incorrect. It DOES monitor
    outgoing traffic, but I seriously doubt it is up to ZoneAlarm standards
    of either security, or ease of use.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 10, 2004
  18. Alan Browne

    Bandicoot Guest

    "Andrew Morris" <> wrote in message
    > I beta tested, and have now gone to SP2 build 2180, which is the RTM

    version
    > on several machines...
    >
    > no bad experiences at all...

    Beta testing an M$ OS. Now that takes guts...

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Aug 10, 2004
  19. Brian C. Baird, Aug 10, 2004
  20. Alan Browne

    MarkH Guest

    Re: XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

    "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"@techemail.com> wrote in

    > Beta testing an M$ OS. Now that takes guts...

    I have run beta versions of Win95, Win98, Win2K and WinXP.

    Win98 beta had less bugs than Win95b final release.
    WinXP beta had less bugs than Win2K final release.

    I like to refer to Win2K as WinXP beta, in many ways this is true.

    It’s not like the final release of any MS OS has been bug free and
    completely finalised, even WinNT4 + SP6 wasn’t finished - SP6a fixed some
    more bugs.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"