    the user menu of the Xbox 360. And there are times when I watch
    vidoes, listen to music off my 360 as well.

    Would appreciate your thoughts on this. TIA.

    No Way, Jan 26, 2007

  2. No Way

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    No Way <> wrote:
    > I was wondering if it's better for the drive physically and
    > mechnically if the game disk is left in there all the time, including
    > when it's being turned off and on, or take the disk out before turning
    > it off and have the drive empty when turning it on?

    I don't have a 360, but I've always left my current game disc in my
    consoles and never had a problem with that. I also leave discs in my
    DVD Recorder hooked up to my TV. If I was going to move the device, I would
    remove the disc. Otherwise, just leave it in.

    > I guess what I'm wondering is, would it pose any undue stress at all
    > on the DVD drive if the disk was left in there all the time?

    > One thing to note is that, the way the DVD drive functions is that,
    > the second the game is turned on, the DVD drive will always be
    > spinning, until such that I exit out of the game and go back out to
    > the user menu of the Xbox 360. And there are times when I watch
    > vidoes, listen to music off my 360 as well.

    If you're using one of these other functions, doesn't the drive spin down
    (eventually?) I do know if you simply pause the game, then the drive
    continues to spin, but that's the game's doing.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 26, 2007

  3. No Way

    No Way Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:53:11 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> wrote:

    >No Way <> wrote:
    >> I was wondering if it's better for the drive physically and
    >> mechnically if the game disk is left in there all the time, including
    >> when it's being turned off and on, or take the disk out before turning
    >> it off and have the drive empty when turning it on?

    >I don't have a 360, but I've always left my current game disc in my
    >consoles and never had a problem with that. I also leave discs in my
    >DVD Recorder hooked up to my TV. If I was going to move the device, I would
    >remove the disc. Otherwise, just leave it in.

    Ahhhh, I see. Great, thanks for the tip.

    >> I guess what I'm wondering is, would it pose any undue stress at all
    >> on the DVD drive if the disk was left in there all the time?

    >> One thing to note is that, the way the DVD drive functions is that,
    >> the second the game is turned on, the DVD drive will always be
    >> spinning, until such that I exit out of the game and go back out to
    >> the user menu of the Xbox 360. And there are times when I watch
    >> vidoes, listen to music off my 360 as well.

    >If you're using one of these other functions, doesn't the drive spin down
    >(eventually?) I do know if you simply pause the game, then the drive
    >continues to spin, but that's the game's doing.

    Right, right, so, when you exit out of the game and go back out to
    360's user menu, the drive will spin down due to non use.

    No Way, Jan 26, 2007
  4. No Way

    Neck & Red Guest

    "No Way" <> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if it's better for the drive physically and
    > mechnically if the game disk is left in there all the time, including
    > when it's being turned off and on, or take the disk out before turning
    > it off and have the drive empty when turning it on?
    >
    > I guess what I'm wondering is, would it pose any undue stress at all
    > on the DVD drive if the disk was left in there all the time?
    >
    > One thing to note is that, the way the DVD drive functions is that,
    > the second the game is turned on, the DVD drive will always be
    > spinning, until such that I exit out of the game and go back out to
    > the user menu of the Xbox 360. And there are times when I watch
    > vidoes, listen to music off my 360 as well.

    You can turn that off, just go into the menu and tell it to boot to
    dashboard instead of booting to a game.

    Neck & Red, Jan 27, 2007