    are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    ages. Capacitors?

    Gib Bogle, Feb 18, 2013

  2. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    > several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
    > complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
    > are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    > think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    > ages. Capacitors?

    Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    system (base and all phones).

    BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2013

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 19/02/2013 11:54 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, , Gib
    > Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
    >> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
    >> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    >> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    >> ages. Capacitors?

    > Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    > could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    > numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    > interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    > system (base and all phones).
    >
    > BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    > needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    > every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    Thanks for the suggestion re. channel - will test this.

    I didn't buy Panasonic batteries, I bought from a supplier in Chch, if I
    recall correctly, for about half the price (sorry, hazy memory and I
    don't seem to have kept a record). The batteries are Cameron Sino, and
    are nominally the same energy capacity as the Panasonic, but who knows
    if they are really equivalent?

    Gib Bogle, Feb 18, 2013
  4. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kfubvu$4hu$>,
    , Bruce Sinclair
    says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    > >BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    > >needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    > >every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    > Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
    > almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
    > was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
    > Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

    Lesson belatedly learnt! :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2013
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 19/02/2013 11:54 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, , Gib
    > Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
    >> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
    >> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    >> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    >> ages. Capacitors?

    > Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    > could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    > numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    > interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    > system (base and all phones).
    >
    > BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    > needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    > every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    This device does not allow the channel to be changed.

    The manual says this about bad sound quality: We recommend that you
    contact your ADSL service provider to have an ADSL Splitter installed.
    We do not recommend the use of generic ADSL filters. Contact your ADSL
    provider for details.

    I think what I have is a splitter. It is a Huawei part, with sockets
    for ADSL and Phone, and says on it that it may be connected to the
    Telecom network.

    Gib Bogle, Feb 18, 2013
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 19/02/2013 1:04 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    >> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    >> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    > Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
    > almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
    > was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
    > Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

    Next time :)

    Gib Bogle, Feb 18, 2013
    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 19, 2013
  8. On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:37:00 +1300, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
    >complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
    >are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    >think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    >ages. Capacitors?

    Wrong type of Phone use the same frequency as a Microwave cooker and a
    WiFi network.

    Go for a 1.8 GHz model.

    The 5GHz models also use the same frequency of the new WiFi band.

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2013
  9. On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:54:22 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, , Gib
    >Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have started to
    >> complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up. The batteries
    >> are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause? Naively I tend to
    >> think of this sort of electronics lasting forever, but maybe something
    >> ages. Capacitors?

    >Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    >could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    >numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    >interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    >system (base and all phones).
    >
    >BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    >needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    >every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    You don't need at all to replace Rechargeable batteries every year more
    like 3 years plus.

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2013
  10. In article <kfuf8p$nb4$>, wrote:
    >On 19/02/2013 1:04 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe

    > <> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    >>> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    >>> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    >> Only buy wireless phones that take "ordinary" batteries. I refused to pay
    >> almost $30 for the 'branded' version replacement battery pack recently, but
    >> was happy to pay $6 for 3 AAA size tagged cells and solder them together.
    >> Still working (so *better* than the branded version too :) ).

    >Next time :)

    So often the case. :)
    As long as we learn from our mistakes... (and I should hasten to admit, I
    was simply *lucky* here, not clever - I only thought ... that battery pack
    looks like AAA size *after* it failed :) ).

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 19, 2013
  11. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, ,
    > Gib Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have
    >> started to complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up.
    >> The batteries are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause?
    >> Naively I tend to think of this sort of electronics lasting forever,
    >> but maybe something ages. Capacitors?

    > Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    > could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    > numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    > interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    > system (base and all phones).
    >
    > BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    > needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    > every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    I have the same phone. It uses 2 x AAA NiMH cells, nice and cheap to
    replace. :)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 19, 2013
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 20/02/2013 1:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, ,
    >> Gib Bogle says...
    >>>
    >>> We have been using a Panasonic 2.4 GHz Digital Gigarange device for
    >>> several years, it's always worked well. Recently people have
    >>> started to complain that the sound at the other end is breaking up.
    >>> The batteries are fresh. Any ideas about what might be the cause?
    >>> Naively I tend to think of this sort of electronics lasting forever,
    >>> but maybe something ages. Capacitors?

    >> Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    >> could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    >> numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    >> interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your phone
    >> system (base and all phones).
    >>
    >> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    >> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    >> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in Aus.

    > I have the same phone. It uses 2 x AAA NiMH cells, nice and cheap to
    > replace. :)

    Are you referring to the Panasonic? I see that the battery is indeed
    made of two batteries that may be AAA.

    Gib Bogle, Feb 19, 2013
  13. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 20/02/2013 1:39 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <kfu6tr$1uv$>, ,
    >>> Gib Bogle says...

    >>> Sure, it could be some pretty average caps breaking down a bit. But
    >>> could possibly be the wireless channel it's on - with the increasing
    >>> numbers of wireless devices within range. So rule out the wireless
    >>> interference by changing channels, if that's an option, on your
    >>> phone system (base and all phones).
    >>>
    >>> BTW, how much did replacement batteries cost? My cheapo Uniden set
    >>> needs new batteries (they're small and they recommend replacing them
    >>> every year), and they're a ripoff in NZ. One third the price in
    >>> Aus.

    >> I have the same phone. It uses 2 x AAA NiMH cells, nice and cheap to
    >> replace. :)

    > Are you referring to the Panasonic? I see that the battery is indeed
    > made of two batteries that may be AAA.

    Actually I was confused. The phone I had previously was the same as yours.
    It has what look like two longer AAA cells joined together and could likely
    be fabricated fairly easilly.

    I was thinking of my newer Panasonic cordless phone. It was on special at
    DSE when I got it, under $50 with a TAM built-in, uses two ordinary AAA NiMH
    calls and is 5.8GHz (the reason I got it, I have a boat-load of stuff
    sharing the 2.4GHz segment and the phone was noisy).

    ~misfit~, Feb 20, 2013
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 20/02/2013 7:12 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> I have the same phone. It uses 2 x AAA NiMH cells, nice and cheap to
    >>> replace. :)

    >> Are you referring to the Panasonic? I see that the battery is indeed
    >> made of two batteries that may be AAA.

    > Actually I was confused. The phone I had previously was the same as yours.
    > It has what look like two longer AAA cells joined together and could likely
    > be fabricated fairly easilly.
    >
    > I was thinking of my newer Panasonic cordless phone. It was on special at
    > DSE when I got it, under $50 with a TAM built-in, uses two ordinary AAA NiMH
    > calls and is 5.8GHz (the reason I got it, I have a boat-load of stuff
    > sharing the 2.4GHz segment and the phone was noisy).

    Ah! That makes so much more sense, to just use a couple of AAA
    batteries. I think I could solder a couple of AAA batteries together
    and pack them out to replace the battery in my Panasonic, but it would
    take a bit of screwing around. BTW do you happen to know what frequency
    band my Vodafone modem (actually a Huawei device) uses?

    Gib Bogle, Feb 20, 2013
  15. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 20/02/2013 7:12 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> Are you referring to the Panasonic? I see that the battery is
    >>> indeed made of two batteries that may be AAA.

    >> Actually I was confused. The phone I had previously was the same as
    >> yours. It has what look like two longer AAA cells joined together
    >> and could likely be fabricated fairly easilly.
    >>
    >> I was thinking of my newer Panasonic cordless phone. It was on
    >> special at DSE when I got it, under $50 with a TAM built-in, uses
    >> two ordinary AAA NiMH calls and is 5.8GHz (the reason I got it, I
    >> have a boat-load of stuff sharing the 2.4GHz segment and the phone
    >> was noisy).

    > Ah! That makes so much more sense, to just use a couple of AAA
    > batteries. I think I could solder a couple of AAA batteries together
    > and pack them out to replace the battery in my Panasonic, but it would
    > take a bit of screwing around.

    True, it depends if you have more time or money. ;)

    > BTW do you happen to know what
    > frequency band my Vodafone modem (actually a Huawei device) uses?

    Sorry, wouldn't have a clue. :-/

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Feb 22, 2013