    Just my 2 cents.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 19, 2009

  2. Carlos

    XS11E Guest

    Carlos <> wrote:

    > If I were to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be #1,
    > by and large.

    My number one is to get the classic start menu back.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Jan 19, 2009

  3. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    > - Allow choosing which OS to restart to in multiboot configurations (click
    > Orb, Restart and OS selection)

    YES!!

    Now we have to press Restart and then sit here like a trained monkey waiting
    for the exact moment to press the down arrow to select the other OS. And if
    we miss that moment by a second or two, we have to reboot and start over.
    :>(

    It has always been this way, of course, but you would think they would have
    figured out this simple (it seems to me) procedure by now.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000)

    R. C. White, Jan 20, 2009
  4. Carlos

    XS11E Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    > "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    >> Carlos <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I were to choose what I DO dislike of Win 7, this would be
    >>> #1, by and large.

    >> My number one is to get the classic start menu back.

    > Don't know what's planned for Win7 but Vista can be turned back to
    > classic fairly easily

    Win7 can't, maybe in a later beta....

    XS11E, Jan 20, 2009
  5. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    R.C.,
    I see you got the picture.
    After re-reading my post I noticed that this item was not quite clear.
    I just want three clicks within Vista (Orb, Restart, selected OS) so that
    the next reboot will take me to the chosen OS, with no text menu during
    restart.
    That should be a single session valid choice, I mean, on next reboot you
    would be presented with the classical OS choice text menu.
    A very simple idea, not many lines of code to add, and would make many of us
    quite happy.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    Most users never multi-boot, so this option would be meaningless or, even
    worse, confusing to them. So the "OS menu" should not appear unless the
    Administrator specifically asks for it to be offered. The prime audience
    probably is us beta testers.

    Of course, we can change the default now from the System Properties page,
    but it involves far too many clicks to use routinely. And the choice is
    (semi-)permanent, until we come back to this page and change it again.
    MSConfig also offers a choice of which OS to "set as default", but this is a
    bit clumsy, too.

    I've often thought of trying to write a batch file to present a menu and
    update via BCDEdit, but I haven't yet got A Round Tuit, and I'm not sure I
    know how to write it, anyhow.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Hi,
    a central tool, which tells me which version is installed for some common
    components like

    the installer itself
    ..Net
    DX
    MDAC
    etc.

    the system update function modified to store optionally the downloaded files
    localy
    and poinable to this storage in case of a reinstallment, updated CDs
    modified to be compatible like that way

    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Jan 23, 2009
  8. Hi,

    a "freeing memory" function,
    that frees memory such way, that it faster hibernates, or hibernates at all
    on large memory machines

    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Jan 26, 2009