    just like..well..a flash drive) to it and it's good to go. I'd like to know
    if the Zune works this way. I don't buy music online, all my stuff comes
    from my ripped CD's.

    Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\), Mar 2, 2007

  2. Hole In The Earth (I'm Out) wrote:

    > Heck I figured this group was as good as any to ask this since there are no
    > Zune or iPod usenet groups :)
    >
    > I'm thinking of getting a Zune and the main question I can't seem to find
    > the answer to is is...can you simply copy MP3 files to the Zune without
    > going through some sort of software?

    I don't know, as my iPod works through the Mac/Windows iTunes software,
    which downloads, synchs, organizes playlists, converts tracks/labels and
    searches album artwork automatically, so I wouldn't know what
    third-party software other models out there force you to use.

    Derek Janssen (hey, think we Mac users aren't ENJOYING our chance to get
    a little karmic payback on the MP3 industry?) ^_^

    Derek Janssen, Mar 2, 2007

  3. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Hole In The Earth (I'm Out) wrote:
    >
    >> Heck I figured this group was as good as any to ask this since there are
    >> no Zune or iPod usenet groups :)
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of getting a Zune and the main question I can't seem to find
    >> the answer to is is...can you simply copy MP3 files to the Zune without
    >> going through some sort of software?

    > I don't know, as my iPod works through the Mac/Windows iTunes software,
    > which downloads, synchs, organizes playlists, converts tracks/labels and
    > searches album artwork automatically, so I wouldn't know what third-party
    > software other models out there force you to use.

    Well I wasn't really looking for a third party software (unless Windows
    Explorer counts). What I was looking to find out was if the Zune basically
    works like my existing MP3 player...a 2gb Sandisk Sansa. I plug in USB, drag
    & drop files, then play them. I don't need anything to organize, sync,
    download, convert, transform, and I don't use playlists. All my CD's are
    ripped with Windows Media Player, so all the artwork and everything is
    there.

    So can the Zune do this, or is it like an iPod where you're forced to use
    some kind of extra software just to put music files on it?

    Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\), Mar 2, 2007
  4. Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\)

    Mark W Guest

    > Hole In The Earth (I'm Out) wrote:
    >
    >> Heck I figured this group was as good as any to ask this since there are
    >> no Zune or iPod usenet groups :)
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of getting a Zune and the main question I can't seem to find
    >> the answer to is is...can you simply copy MP3 files to the Zune without
    >> going through some sort of software?

    > I don't know, as my iPod works through the Mac/Windows iTunes software,
    > which downloads, synchs, organizes playlists, converts tracks/labels and
    > searches album artwork automatically, so I wouldn't know what third-party
    > software other models out there force you to use.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (hey, think we Mac users aren't ENJOYING our chance to get a
    > little karmic payback on the MP3 industry?) ^_^

    ......ho ho! so what *else* is a Mac good for? Just kiddin'!

    Mark W, Mar 2, 2007
  5. Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >I don't know, as my iPod works through the Mac/Windows iTunes software,
    >which downloads, synchs, organizes playlists, converts tracks/labels and
    >searches album artwork automatically, so I wouldn't know what
    >third-party software other models out there force you to use.

    The other models I've used don't force you to use any third-party
    software, which is why they're so nice to use. The devices just look like
    another disk drive.

    Kimba W. Lion, Mar 2, 2007
  6. Mark W wrote:

    >>(hey, think we Mac users aren't ENJOYING our chance to get a
    >>little karmic payback on the MP3 industry?) ^_^
    >>

    > .....ho ho! so what *else* is a Mac good for? Just kiddin'!

    Oh, same here--Since you asked, after all:
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

    (Mean-spirited?--Oh, maybe a tad. But dang, they're funny.) :-D

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Mar 2, 2007
  7. "Kimba W. Lion" <kimbawlion> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know, as my iPod works through the Mac/Windows iTunes software,
    >>which downloads, synchs, organizes playlists, converts tracks/labels and
    >>searches album artwork automatically, so I wouldn't know what
    >>third-party software other models out there force you to use.

    > The other models I've used don't force you to use any third-party
    > software, which is why they're so nice to use. The devices just look like
    > another disk drive.

    Sweet.

    Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\), Mar 3, 2007
  8. Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\)

    Doc_Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:42:09 GMT, "Hole In The Earth \(I'm Out\)"
    <> wrote:

    >Heck I figured this group was as good as any to ask this since there are no
    >Zune or iPod usenet groups :)
    >
    >I'm thinking of getting a Zune and the main question I can't seem to find
    >the answer to is is...can you simply copy MP3 files to the Zune without
    >going through some sort of software?
    >
    >With my Sansa I can just drag/drop files (since it's a flash drive it works
    >just like..well..a flash drive) to it and it's good to go. I'd like to know
    >if the Zune works this way. I don't buy music online, all my stuff comes
    >from my ripped CD's.

    Dont let itunes run you away from the ipod.

    ml_ipod allows simple drag and drop to your ipod thru winamp.

    ml_ipod is a Winamp Media Library plugin that allows you to send and get songs
    off your iPod from Winamp's Media Library.

    www.mlipod.com

    Doc_Johnson, Mar 15, 2007