    the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am in the
    UK so no imports please

    dave
    Dragon, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Dragon

    Mike Jackson Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3
    > not worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.
    > seen the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am
    > in the UK so no imports please

    I don't know about in the UK, but I have a Rio S30S. It has internal 64MB,
    and it takes SD cards up to 512MB. I have a 256MB card in it, but I can only
    fit up to about 70 songs - though I rip everything at 196KB, so if your son
    goes for the 128KB MP3s, he could fit a lot more. The Windows interface
    software has improved a lot since I bought it, and the LCD screen on the
    player itself shows pretty much anything you'd need. The only drawback is
    that the battery door is kinda flimsy. I haven't had any problems myself,
    but I'm nearly 30 and I take care of it.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Dragon

    Nath Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3
    > not worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.
    > seen the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am
    > in the UK so no imports please
    >
    > dave

    £70 should get you a 512MB flash player? not too sure about 200-300 songs-
    perhaps at a low bitrate? Although low bit rate MP3 sounds pretty crap, IMO
    I would look for one with OGG support, even 85kps OGG sounds very good and
    certainly fine for cheap phones as MP3 at the same bitrate sounds crap.

    Try and find one with decent battery support- ie two AA's. A mate has a
    flash MP3 player with a single AAA and the battery doesn't last very long,
    annoying recharging/replacing every 8 hours or less.

    Try ripping a couple of tracks at 128kps, look at the file size and multiply
    that by 200 or 300. That'll give you a idea how much space is needed, and if
    128kps MP3 is adequate considering size/quality...if not might need 1GB
    player. Encode with LAME.

    You could also look at portable CD players with MP3/OGG support..that way
    just store collection on easily replaceable CD-R's...and not limited to
    what's on the player in a single day before he can use the PC and
    wipe/remove then add more.

    I have a iriver H140...it's a 40GB personal OGG/MP3 player..probably not a
    ideal device for kids, since it's got a hard disc. ;-)

    http://www.iriver.com/html/product/prpa_category.asp
    Nath, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Dragon

    Andy Pandy Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3
    > not worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.
    > seen the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am
    > in the UK so no imports please
    >
    > dave

    I ordered this one from Ebuyer which I thought was quite good value at £55
    including the free delivery option (for a 512Mb device with FM radio) -
    512Mb should be enough for what you ask I believe.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=78183

    Haven't received it yet to comment on how good it is though.

    HTH
    Andy
    Andy Pandy, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Dragon

    Vamp Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3
    > not worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.
    > seen the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am
    > in the UK so no imports please
    >
    > dave

    way out of your budget but i have a 4th gen ipod 20gig i got for £150 us
    import and love it! defo the best audio quality out of the few i've heard.
    creative labs zen is ok but no where near as good audio wise like my ipod.
    dunno bout all the little ones about, sony make a small 512mb thingy which
    might be quite good.

    i just wish mags would review the audio quality instead of things like 'oh
    this has so much storage space'
    Vamp, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Dragon

    BARRY Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    There is a solution!"

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    "Nath" <> wrote in message

    > "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and
    >> i was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >>
    >> Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3
    >> not worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.
    >> seen the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am
    >> in the UK so no imports please
    >>
    >> dave

    > £70 should get you a 512MB flash player? not too sure about 200-300
    > songs- perhaps at a low bitrate? Although low bit rate MP3 sounds pretty
    > crap, IMO I would look for one with OGG support, even 85kps OGG sounds
    > very good and certainly fine for cheap phones as MP3 at the same bitrate
    > sounds crap.

    I bought a L1 20GB MP3 Player
    Frontier Labs..................from Tchibo in thier sale.........for
    £99....(its branded TM but its the same model...............its a 20 gig
    hard drive model great design simple to use and sound good to me
    I know its more that you wanted to spend but you get a very solid metal
    player and a tchibo 3 year guarantee.
    they might still have them on the Tchibo web site or your local branch ( at
    that price i bought one for the good lady too )

    Barry

    BARRY, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Dragon

    gavin Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in mp3

    not
    > worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc. seen
    > the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am in the
    > UK so no imports please
    >
    > dave

    I know you have said "no imports" but I got a 512MB Flash Drive mp3 player
    off eBay from Hong Kong and it is great! The manual is written in strange
    English but really the operation is quite straightforward. The 1GB ones now
    see to be going for little more than I paid for my 512MB and I gig will hold
    over 200 songs. My player doesn't support OGG which is a shame but I have
    been pleasantly surprised at the sound quality. Delivery from HK was 2 weeks
    and the unit arrived well packaged and in A1 condition.

    Gavin
    gavin, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Dragon

    drewdawg Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    Dragon <> typed:
    Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate files
    (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it while jogging
    and only need to hold about half an hours worth downloaded from my library
    (on hard drive) on USB. It also should be rechargable using common recharg
    batteries (no I-pod fiascos for me)

    Thanks ;-)
    drewdawg, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Dragon

    Rich Clark Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    > In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    > Dragon <> typed:
    > Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate files
    > (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it while jogging
    > and only need to hold about half an hours worth downloaded from my library
    > (on hard drive) on USB. It also should be rechargable using common
    > recharg
    > batteries (no I-pod fiascos for me)

    I have a Rio Cali (I believe they have a newer model now). It has 256mb
    internal and takes Secure Digital cards, so you can easily have more than a
    gigabyte of RAM. It's a "sports" model, water-resistant, with an arm strap
    and simple controls designed to be used by touch, although it has a full
    menuing system and supports both MP3 and WMA in every bitrate, both constant
    and variable, I've used with it. I get about 8 hours from a single
    rechargeable AAA battery.

    I've been happy with the PC software, which keeps track of my music library
    and makes USB transfers to the unit simple. Mine doesn't support USB 2.0 but
    the new model, the Forge, does (I believe). I understand these Rio players
    all work with iTunes software on the Mac via a plug-in.

    Depending on the context, I load my player (256+512MB) with either 6+ hours
    of 256kbs CBR files or more than 15 hours of >128kbs VBRs (and take a spare
    battery).

    Oh, and it has an FM radio tuner.

    Highly recommended. I don't know about UK availability.

    http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/rioaudio/default.asp

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Dragon

    MA Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    > In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    > Dragon <> typed:
    > Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate files
    > (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it while jogging
    > and only need to hold about half an hours worth downloaded from my library
    > (on hard drive) on USB. It also should be rechargable using common

    recharg
    > batteries (no I-pod fiascos for me)

    The new Sony is fantastic, 1gb memory, 70 hours charge from one AAA battery.
    Now £125 in the Empire Direct Sale:

    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SON-NWE99.htm
    MA, Jan 6, 2005
  11. Dragon

    Ed Kim Guest

    Dragon wrote:
    > Looking to get my son a mp3 player for his birthday in a month or so

    and i
    > was looking for a decent player any advise.
    >
    > Got about £70 and want something that holds around 200-300 songs in

    mp3 not
    > worried about wma format and has a display and will work on the pc.

    seen
    > the one at play.com are they any good or should i shop around, i am

    in the
    > UK so no imports please
    >
    > dave

    i don't know if this will help, but Apple is supposed to be releasing a
    flash iPod (256M or 512M) in the $99 range soon.

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Dragon

    drewdawg Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    In news:,
    Rich Clark <> typed:
    > "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    >> Dragon <> typed:
    >> Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate
    >> files (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it
    >> while jogging and only need to hold about half an hours worth
    >> downloaded from my library (on hard drive) on USB. It also should
    >> be rechargable using common recharg
    >> batteries (no I-pod fiascos for me)

    > I have a Rio Cali (I believe they have a newer model now). It has
    > 256mb internal and takes Secure Digital cards, so you can easily have
    > more than a gigabyte of RAM. It's a "sports" model, water-resistant,
    > with an arm strap and simple controls designed to be used by touch,
    > although it has a full menuing system and supports both MP3 and WMA
    > in every bitrate, both constant and variable, I've used with it. I
    > get about 8 hours from a single rechargeable AAA battery.
    >
    > I've been happy with the PC software, which keeps track of my music
    > library and makes USB transfers to the unit simple. Mine doesn't
    > support USB 2.0 but the new model, the Forge, does (I believe). I
    > understand these Rio players all work with iTunes software on the Mac
    > via a plug-in.
    >
    > Depending on the context, I load my player (256+512MB) with either 6+
    > hours of 256kbs CBR files or more than 15 hours of >128kbs VBRs (and
    > take a spare battery).
    >
    > Oh, and it has an FM radio tuner.
    >
    > Highly recommended. I don't know about UK availability.
    >
    > http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/rioaudio/default.asp
    >
    > RichC

    Thanks dude ;-)
    drewdawg, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Dragon

    drewdawg Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    In news:,
    MA <> typed:
    > "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    >> Dragon <> typed:
    >> Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate
    >> files (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it
    >> while jogging and only need to hold about half an hours worth
    >> downloaded from my library (on hard drive) on USB. It also should
    >> be rechargable using common recharg batteries (no I-pod fiascos for
    >> me)

    > The new Sony is fantastic, 1gb memory, 70 hours charge from one AAA
    > battery. Now £125 in the Empire Direct Sale:
    >
    > http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SON-NWE99.htm

    Thanks for the info ;-)
    drewdawg, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Dragon

    "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > MA <> typed:
    >> "drewdawg" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:xzTCd.7670$,
    >>> Dragon <> typed:
    >>> Me too, but I'd like a player that has no problems with high bitrate
    >>> files (256kbit to 320kbit) or variable bitrates. I plan to use it
    >>> while jogging and only need to hold about half an hours worth
    >>> downloaded from my library (on hard drive) on USB. It also should
    >>> be rechargable using common recharg batteries (no I-pod fiascos for
    >>> me)

    >> The new Sony is fantastic, 1gb memory, 70 hours charge from one AAA
    >> battery. Now £125 in the Empire Direct Sale:
    >>
    >> http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SON-NWE99.htm

    > Thanks for the info ;-)

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Seems
    a lot of money fopr 1 gig
    why not buy a small dvd player in the sales that also plays mp3........at
    least you can get over 4 gigs of music on 1 dvd and watch your films

    Barry

    BARRY, Jan 8, 2005
  15. Dragon

    Ensor Guest

    Re: Which MP3 Player

    Hi,

    >> Highly recommended. I don't know about UK availability.
    >>
    >> http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/rioaudio/default.asp
    >>
    >> RichC

    > Thanks dude ;-)

    You could also take a look over at "http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/",
    they have a pretty good selection of players.

    TTFN - Pete.
    Ensor, Jan 9, 2005