  1. Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    mass exit or what??
    mark_

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=, Jul 16, 2006

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    minnesotti Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    > mass exit or what??

    Baby boomers are out, GenY is in. None of us, GenX'ers, as always.

    minnesotti, Jul 16, 2006

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    > mass exit or what??
    > mark_

    I have noticed a big dropoff in ALL the usenet groups I hang out on.
    This group used to be in excess of 300 messages a day, now it is
    generally less than 100.

    But I have noticed it even worse in other groups. One group used to be
    in the 150-200 message range, it now is in the 10-20 message range.

    I think the growth of specific topic web-based or email based (as in
    Yahoo groups) discussion groups is taking away from the Usenet groups.
    In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about usenet
    groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not even
    mention Usenet.

    I had trouble with my ISP- they no longer want to support Usenet. So I
    thought the low message count was due to problems with my ISP's link
    through its news server. I am now using Google groups to access Usenet,
    and while it is better than my ISP's news server, the message count in
    all my groups is well down from several years ago.

    , Jul 16, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    minnesotti Guest

    wrote:
    > mark_digital© wrote:
    > > Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    > > mass exit or what??
    > > mark_

    > I have noticed a big dropoff in ALL the usenet groups I hang out on.
    > This group used to be in excess of 300 messages a day, now it is
    > generally less than 100.
    >
    > But I have noticed it even worse in other groups. One group used to be
    > in the 150-200 message range, it now is in the 10-20 message range.
    >
    > I think the growth of specific topic web-based or email based (as in
    > Yahoo groups) discussion groups is taking away from the Usenet groups.
    > In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about usenet
    > groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not even
    > mention Usenet.
    >
    > I had trouble with my ISP- they no longer want to support Usenet. So I
    > thought the low message count was due to problems with my ISP's link
    > through its news server. I am now using Google groups to access Usenet,
    > and while it is better than my ISP's news server, the message count in
    > all my groups is well down from several years ago.

    This is Gen Y. Just as I said above. They prefer web-based discussion
    forums. I prefer Usenet, because I hate to be moderated (and, gosh,
    banned).

    minnesotti, Jul 16, 2006
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I have noticed a big dropoff in ALL the usenet groups I hang out on.
    > This group used to be in excess of 300 messages a day, now it is
    > generally less than 100.
    >
    > But I have noticed it even worse in other groups. One group used to be
    > in the 150-200 message range, it now is in the 10-20 message range.

    It could be a seasonal issue. Many people are currently on a holiday.

    > I think the growth of specific topic web-based or email based (as in
    > Yahoo groups) discussion groups is taking away from the Usenet groups.
    > In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about usenet
    > groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not even
    > mention Usenet.

    Traffic at our Yahoo group is also down for the moment. It's holiday
    season.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jul 16, 2006
  6. wrote:
    []
    > I had trouble with my ISP- they no longer want to support Usenet. So
    > I thought the low message count was due to problems with my ISP's link
    > through its news server. I am now using Google groups to access
    > Usenet, and while it is better than my ISP's news server, the message
    > count in all my groups is well down from several years ago.

    Possibly because of content carried on the "binary" groups?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 16, 2006
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >mark_digital© wrote:
    > Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    > mass exit or what??

    They all switched back to film!

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 16, 2006
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, Bill
    Hilton <> writes
    >>mark_digital© wrote:
    >> Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    >> mass exit or what??

    >They all switched back to film!

    Perhaps they have realised that the object of a camera, digital or film,
    is to take pictures.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Prometheus wrote:
    > In article <>, Bill
    > Hilton <> writes
    >>> mark_digital© wrote:
    >>> Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened?
    >>> Was it a
    >>> mass exit or what??

    >> They all switched back to film!

    > Perhaps they have realised that the object of a camera, digital or film,
    > is to take pictures.

    That's what cellphones are for.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "And now, They have even got a machine that can tell if you're thinking.
    It's called a TV. If it's off, you're guilty." - Rev. Ivan Stang

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 16, 2006
  10. On 7/16/06 10:13 AM, Prometheus wrote:
    > In article <>, Bill
    > Hilton <> writes
    >>> mark_digital© wrote:
    >>> Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    >>> mass exit or what??

    >> They all switched back to film!

    > Perhaps they have realised that the object of a camera, digital or film,
    > is to take pictures.

    Huh!?? How dare you. The object is to whine, argue, smear, rant, rave,
    pontificate, disagree and froth right here, and a camera is NOT needed
    at all!

    Happy shooting. I am grabbing mine and heading to the cemetary. Thanks
    for the reminder....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 16, 2006
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, John
    McWilliams <> writes
    >On 7/16/06 10:13 AM, Prometheus wrote:
    >> In article <>, Bill
    >> Hilton <> writes
    >>> They all switched back to film!

    >> Perhaps they have realised that the object of a camera, digital or film,
    >> is to take pictures.
    >>

    >Huh!?? How dare you. The object is to whine, argue, smear, rant, rave,
    >pontificate, disagree and froth right here, and a camera is NOT needed
    >at all!
    >
    >Happy shooting. I am grabbing mine and heading to the cemetary. Thanks
    >for the reminder....

    I'm off for a few beers with the Lady on a pleasant evening; the DSLR
    will stay at home, probably also the P&S, which just leaves the mobile
    phone. Since, quite rightly, she objects to me giving more attention to
    the phone than her I won't be taking any photographs. Tomorrow will be
    another fine day, I shall look at interesting things, and photograph
    some of them.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ

    Prometheus, Jul 16, 2006
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?= <> writes:
    >Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    >mass exit or what??

    I'll tell you what happened to *me*. I used to be a student, and had a
    fair bit of time to write Usenet postings if I wanted to. I wrote a lot
    for a few years there. I used to check Usenet several times a day.

    Now I'm working at a fairly demanding job. I have a 1.5 year old
    daughter. We bought a house a few months ago. With all that, I'm doing
    well to check Usenet a few times a week, and I read a lot fewer groups
    these days.

    But I think it's pretty normal for people who were active 5 years ago to
    be less active today - either due to new interests, conflicting demands,
    or whatever. It used to be that the gap left by old farts withdrawing
    was filled by fresh new contributors. So perhaps the interesting
    question is - where are all the fresh new contributors?

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 16, 2006
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Pat Guest

    Maybe it's because Wikipedia is now answering all of the questions.

    Pat, Jul 16, 2006
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    I've been on vacation. Just got back yesterday, and am still sorting things
    out after a two week trip.

    Kinon O'cann, Jul 16, 2006
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:

    > In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about usenet
    > groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not even
    > mention Usenet.

    Isn't that strange? I wonder why that is?
    Most of my friends, young and old, who are pretty computer savvy, either
    never heard of Usenet Groups or haven't a clue how to access one.
    When I tell them that I get a lot of good technical information from my
    colleagues on a digital camera newsgroup, I get this far away glassy
    stare.......Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 17, 2006
  16. On 7/16/06 4:47 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about usenet
    >> groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not even
    >> mention Usenet.

    > Isn't that strange? I wonder why that is?
    > Most of my friends, young and old, who are pretty computer savvy, either
    > never heard of Usenet Groups or haven't a clue how to access one.
    > When I tell them that I get a lot of good technical information from my
    > colleagues on a digital camera newsgroup, I get this far away glassy
    > stare.......Bob Williams

    One reason may be ISPs. When I went to DSL a number of years ago, the
    company was all over usenet, practically forcing one to use it to get
    tech help. When I moved to cable about 4 years ago, Comcast never
    mentioed usenet, and I had to search to find out how to use their servers.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 17, 2006
  17. On 7/16/06 2:08 PM, Kinon O'cann wrote:
    > I've been on vacation. Just got back yesterday, and am still sorting things
    > out after a two week trip.
    >
    > "mark_digital©" <> wrote in message
    >> Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it
    >> a mass exit or what??

    Ah, well, it's sorted now why it's been quiet.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jul 17, 2006
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    Frank ess Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > On 7/16/06 4:47 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In addition, most newer computer users do not even know about
    >>> usenet
    >>> groups. Many books, introductory info from ISPs, etc. do not
    >>> even
    >>> mention Usenet.

    >> Isn't that strange? I wonder why that is?
    >> Most of my friends, young and old, who are pretty computer savvy,
    >> either never heard of Usenet Groups or haven't a clue how to access
    >> one.
    >> When I tell them that I get a lot of good technical information
    >> from
    >> my colleagues on a digital camera newsgroup, I get this far away
    >> glassy stare.......Bob Williams
    >>

    > One reason may be ISPs. When I went to DSL a number of years ago,
    > the
    > company was all over usenet, practically forcing one to use it to
    > get
    > tech help. When I moved to cable about 4 years ago, Comcast never
    > mentioed usenet, and I had to search to find out how to use their
    > servers.

    Time Warner cable only reluctantly supports Usenet. It's a no-profit
    item for them, what with low knowledge/use and big retention/resource
    demands of the binaries groups. TW's retention was a few days last I
    looked; giganews is in the hundreds of days. ISPs stand not to make
    much money off Usenet.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jul 17, 2006
  19. No, more likely that the answer is usually "google it" which is not
    an answer & if there, it is very outdated because no one is providing
    an answer.

    Another situation is that "one should know everything about it before
    using/doing it".

    There are more "trolls" & personal attacks on the various newsgroups,
    & some attacks are continuing for many years.

    One also ventures into the usenet at their own risk as some people are
    garnering id's for continusly sending junk mail.

    plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu, Jul 17, 2006
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

    cjcampbell Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > Thought I'd stop by to see what everyone was up too. What happened? Was it a
    > mass exit or what??
    > mark_

    Some of them are still around. But they don't post much because they
    are all out taking pictures. You get tired of arguing with the
    technonerds who know nothing of photography but who think they know
    about how to photograph test patterns. Plus, the off-topic trash, the
    filthy language, etc., are getting to be a bit much.

    cjcampbell, Jul 17, 2006