OT: What to do, what to do

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Kendal Emery, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Kendal Emery

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.

    I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to work
    on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and I
    am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
    input.

    The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
    Computer Information Systems.

    The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start my
    own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
    now, just at a larger level.

    I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really like
    the hands on stuff.

    So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me
    Kendal Emery, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Kendal Emery

    Consultant Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    personally, i majored in under water basket weaving and minored in weight
    training. i am signing up with uop also, they have a good setup. go for the
    mba

    --
    Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
    www.mcngp.tk

    Consultant, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Kendal Emery

    billyw Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    MBA..
    i'm half way thru mine and certainly there is a lot that is relevant in
    running your own company in it as you can usually relate it to life
    experiences..

    billyw, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Re: What to do, what to do

    > Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
    >
    > I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

    work
    > on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix, and

    > am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had any
    > input.
    >
    > The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
    > Computer Information Systems.
    >
    > The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

    my
    > own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am doing
    > now, just at a larger level.
    >
    > I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

    like
    > the hands on stuff.
    >
    > So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?

    > Systems Administrator
    > Coordinated Home Care
    >
    > remove me to email to me

    If you like to manage people, get the MBA. If you like to manage technology,
    get the MS Computer IS. Don't let the "technology management" fool you. You
    will end up managing people.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Kendal Emery

    Consultant Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face it,
    there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

    --

    "Politician Spock" <> wrote in message
    > "Kendal Emery" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all you smart people out in MCSE land.
    > >
    > > I have finally got to the point where I will be going back to school to

    > work
    > > on my masters degree. I will be attending the University of Phoenix,

    and
    > > am trying to decide the best degree, and was wondering if anybody had

    any
    > > input.
    > >
    > > The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
    > > Computer Information Systems.
    > >
    > > The MBA would position me for jobs in management, or maybe even to start

    > my
    > > own company, where the MSCIS would position me more to do what I am

    doing
    > > now, just at a larger level.
    > >
    > > I also think that the MBA would pay better in the future, but I really

    > like
    > > the hands on stuff.
    > >
    > > So, I am looking for input here. What do you think?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
    > > Systems Administrator
    > > Coordinated Home Care
    > >
    > > remove me to email to me
    > >

    > If you like to manage people, get the MBA. If you like to manage

    technology,
    > get the MS Computer IS. Don't let the "technology management" fool you.

    You
    > will end up managing people.
    >
    > --
    > Politician Spock
    > MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    rights.

    Consultant, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Re: What to do, what to do

    Just a side note - you may wish to consider Capella for an online degree.
    They are fully accredited and are cheaper per credit. They also have more
    refined degree programs.

    The IT department is riddled with (snobby - my opinion) Born consultants
    here in Mpls. That may or may not be a good thing, in the reader's opinion.

    My two cents.
    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Kendal Emery

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    > and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face it,
    > there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

    I know of some older people in this field.... they are not qualfied and
    should not be in this field.
    Jtyc, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Re: What to do, what to do

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    > > and that's what you'll want to be doing when you are older. let's face

    it,
    > > there is plenty of age discrimination in this field

    > I know of some older people in this field.... they are not qualfied and
    > should not be in this field.

    Shaddup, you schtink.

    --
    Fris "Danged young whipper-snappers" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Kendal Emery

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    The problem I see, is that if you just manage the technology, you do
    all-right, but never make the real money Not that money is all important to
    me, still I would like to make a lot.

    I was also thinking though, as the trend to outsource IT gets bigger, and
    more and more MCSE's are out looking for anything to make a buck, the MBA
    could go into a different field as a manager quite easily.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Kendal Emery

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:58:15 -0600, "Kendal Emery"
    <> wrote:

    >The two degrees I am looking at are MBA/technology management and MS
    >Computer Information Systems.

    You will never get an MBA type job with an MBA from Univerisity of
    Phoenix. I am sure they are a good school, but they are not
    respected. There are 2 guys that work in my office that have them.
    They are doing jobs that could be done by someone with an Associates.

    On the other hand, I know a couple people with BS degrees and 1 PhD
    from University of Phoenix in CIS and they seem to advance just fine
    on the technical side, but will never be the CEO, CFO, or CIO.

    The guy with the PhD does side work as an instructor for USC.

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18
    KLXrider, Aug 7, 2003
  11. Kendal Emery

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Not to disagree with you, but I have heard quite the opposite, and not from
    the guys at U of P that want my money.

    I was actually thinking along the lines of Chief Technical Officer, but
    don't know.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Aug 7, 2003
  12. Kendal Emery

    billyw Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    i've found the only way to make any real money is to work for yourself...
    not that i have made real money of course.. me poor

    billyw, Aug 7, 2003
  13. Kendal Emery

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    > i've found the only way to make any real money is to work for yourself...
    > not that i have made real money of course.. me poor

    It's the marketing thing that keeps me from that. Man do I hate cold
    callers.
    Jtyc, Aug 7, 2003
  14. Kendal Emery

    billyw Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    so do i.....

    haaha...

    does the word wanker mean anything to you

    billyw, Aug 7, 2003
  15. Kendal Emery

    valerie Guest

    Hi - just registered with this Microsoft message thing -
    wondering if you could help please?

    doing a degree in IT (2nd year) and stuck with revision

    struggling with ms dos
    hexidecimal numbers
    and
    TOM program

    wondering if you knew anything of these

    many thanks Valerie

    please e-mail back at

    if possible

    - always check my email
    valerie, Aug 7, 2003
  16. Re: What to do, what to do

    "valerie" <> wrote in message

    > Hi - just registered with this Microsoft message thing -
    > wondering if you could help please?
    >
    > doing a degree in IT (2nd year) and stuck with revision
    >
    > struggling with ms dos
    > hexidecimal numbers
    > and
    > TOM program
    >
    > wondering if you knew anything of these
    >
    > many thanks Valerie
    >
    > please e-mail back at
    >
    > if possible
    >
    > - always check my email

    A British burd!

    --
    Fris "R U Hawt?" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 7, 2003
  17. Kendal Emery

    Gary - US Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    MBA. That is what I am working on now.

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    Gary - US, Aug 8, 2003
  18. Kendal Emery

    Gary - US Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    Zachary

    Gary - US, Aug 8, 2003
  19. Kendal Emery

    Gary - US Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    Oh hell yes.

    Gary - US, Aug 8, 2003
  20. Kendal Emery

    Guest

    Re: What to do, what to do

    >MBA. That is what I am working on now.

    So you feel a general "business" degree is the most
    useful area to study?

    Reason I ask is Im starting to feel that way also. Im
    currently a CAD tech..... and yes it can be very
    "detailed" at times just like being a network
    specialist.

    But something Im noticing abt the tech fileds....and
    that is we don't get any "respect" in the company.

    Instead its the business types (managers, accountants)
    who get all the glory, pay, perks. They get the
    business lunches (paid)... they get the cell phones....
    cars...... AND they make the "rules"..... then they
    don't even live by their own rules in the company but
    God forbid anyone else break their damn rules!

    However..... the tech fields you must know a LOT of
    very detailed things..... a LOT of information and must
    keep up on all the new stuff coming out. Yet know one
    seems to appreciate THAT in the corporate world. Just
    how much a person MUST now to be a CAD tech or a
    systems admin.

    Does anyone else see my point? Do you tend to agree
    with me? Or is it just "me" sensing this?
    , Aug 8, 2003