OT: What I did this weekend

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    What I did this weekend or Why is this typical?

    Client calls in a panic - the server has crashed, upon
    reboot the hard drive just clicks. I had just installed
    a tape backup system last month. 'I hope the tape backup
    has been working', he mentions. Me too. So I grab a new
    drive and head over to his place. Sure enough the hard
    drive is toast. I install the new drive, partition and
    format it - ready to go. OK - 'Where is the OS disk?',
    I ask innocently. 'What?' he says. We need the OS
    install disk, I saw it here in the past, where is it now?
    'I don't know.', he says. He calls a friend, 'I can have
    one here in 30 minutes', he claims. OK - I won't ask.
    Sure enough, 30 minutes later I have a burnt CD with the
    (I'm sure a legal copy) of the OS. Drop it in the CD -
    it's not bootable. No problem - I have some boot disks
    here somewhere - no, I gave them to my son to use for
    floppies at school. No problem, I go to my favorite
    Boot Disk web site and download some images. Now to
    just copy them onto floppies; the floppy drive on this
    computer doesn't like my disks. That's OK, there is
    another computer in the back. I likes some of my disks,
    but not four of them - I'm out of floppies! I dig
    through the glove box of my truck and find a stray buried
    deep under a pile of Taco Bell Fire Sauce. It works,
    now I boot the machine and install the 'legal' copy of
    the OS. Now to install the Tape Backup Software so I can
    restore a few folders and we are back! The copy of the
    backup software I have doesn't work on this version of OS.
    Oh yeah, I had to download it directly from the vendor's
    website when I set this up - and the only copy is on the
    dead hard drive and the backup tapes. No problem - I can
    go to the vendor's site and download it again. But it's
    down! WTF? OK - a mirror site. After an hour of searching
    I give up. I can't find a compatible copy of the backup
    software. OK. I pull out the tape drive - I'm going to
    install it on a 98 machine, install a copy of the backup
    software for 98 (which I have) and restore the version I
    need (and maybe the data too!). But the only other machines
    available are those stupid mini towers and they don't have
    a place to hook up the tape drive. No problem - I bring
    the drive and tapes to my shop, pop it in a machine there.
    I restore the whole tape to an old hard drive, go back to
    the client, add the hard drive to the server and install
    the tape software and restore the backup files. But what's
    this? QuickBooks works fine but their business software
    does not - just a bunch of 'need to reindex' errors. OK,
    we have to go back to an older tape. Same problem. An
    older tape. Same problem. OMG - all the tapes have the
    same problem! They have a bad habit of leaving a computer
    on in the back with their program running - and the tape
    software can't backup the main data files when the program
    is running. I told them over and over - 'It's OK to leave
    the machine on, but you must exit the program or it will
    not back up at night'. OK - the owner has a laptop that
    he makes a read only copy of the program (a DOS program)
    so he can use it at home. Bring me the laptop - the data
    on it is three weeks old, but it's better than nothing.
    They called me a 6PM Friday night, and by 1PM Saturday
    they were printing payroll checks (good thing too, one
    girl there said she was going to do a Tanya Harding on me
    if see didn't get paid, and this was no small girl, if you
    know what I mean).

    Mission accomplished - I owe it all to good disaster planning.
    (yeah right).

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    Visit www.MCNGP.com for a chance to win!

    kpg, Dec 20, 2004

  2. sounds like a typical friday/saturday in the world of the IT support tech.
    Sure am glad I'm off that circuit!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=, Dec 20, 2004