    I need?

    What service or service provider do I have to sign up with? Or, can
    it be done for free?

    Betaville, Nov 23, 2008

  2. Re: What do I need to communicate via video on the internet?

    Buy a webcam -- there are many in a very wide range of prices -- and install
    Skype -- go to skype.com. Create a Skype account after you download and
    install the interface. When you get your account setup, you can invite your
    friends and family anywhere in the world to join. They will get an email
    message from you telling them to load Skype.

    There are other free services that allow video conferencing, but Skype is
    cool because it gives the user an interface that is in his own language.
    Yahoo! Messenger does the same thing -- allows video calls -- but is
    primarily in English. If your friends of family around the globe do not
    speak English (or read it) very well, then Skype might be a better tool for
    them to use because the Options Menu has a Language selection that probably
    has at least one language option that they can use more easily. This allows
    the screen interface to be in a language they will understand better than
    English.

    After you get your webcam and load the interface, your friends and family
    have to do the same thing. Then, yoiu and they both go online, and you can
    video conference with them. There is also an Instant Messaging feature that
    lets you type a message, I'll call you on Wednesday after 6:00pm (for
    example), when they are not online. Then when they go online before 6:00pm,
    and you call them after 6:00pm, their computer rings, just like the
    telephone. They answer yout call, and you guys can conference for as long as
    you want.

    Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger, and many others all support video
    conferencing. The _only_ reason to use Skype over any of the others is the
    language issue. If there is no language issue, then select any interface you
    like.

    I have several cameras, and the one I like the best is the Microsoft VX3000.
    It is a USB device that has both a camera and a microphone already built in,
    the speakers you already have provide your sound experience. This camera is
    at WalMart for about $50, but you can find webcams with a built-in
    microphone for less if your shop around. The thing I like is that the camera
    and mic are all connected through a single USB port.

    You must get a camera with mic built in if you don't have a mic already. If
    you do have a mic, you can voice conference through Skype without doing
    anything other than loading the interface. You can have a camera, but yout
    friends might not -- this will alow them to see you, but you will not see
    them, but you can all talk and hear if you have a mic and speakers.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 23, 2008

  3. Betaville

    0_0 Guest

    On Nov 23, 1:05 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
> [...]
    > microphone for less if your shop around. The thing I like is that the camera
    > and mic are all connected through a single USB port.
    >
    > You must get a camera with mic built in if you don't have a mic already. If
    > you do have a mic, you can voice conference through Skype without doing
    > anything other than loading the interface. You can have a camera, but yout
    > friends might not -- this will alow them to see you, but you will not see
    > them, but you can all talk and hear if you have a mic and speakers.
    >
    > "Betaville" <> wrote in message

    > > Isn't there something that allows you to talk via internet video phone
    > > with someone halfway around the globe?

    > > What equipment do I need to do this?  How much is it? What software do
    > > I need?

    > > What service or service provider do I have to sign up with?  Or, can
    > > it be done for free?- Hide quoted text -

    Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    0_0, Nov 25, 2008
  4. Re: What do I need to communicate via video on the internet?

    On Nov 25, 4:21 pm, 0_0 <> wrote:

    > Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    A mouth. A pair of ears would help, though only one ear will do.

    Bernie Woodham, Nov 25, 2008
  5. Betaville

    sandy58 Guest

    On Nov 25, 9:21 pm, 0_0 <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > and mic are all connected through a single USB port.

    > > You must get a camera with mic built in if you don't have a mic already.. If
    > > you do have a mic, you can voice conference through Skype without doing
    > > anything other than loading the interface. You can have a camera, but yout
    > > friends might not -- this will alow them to see you, but you will not see
    > > them, but you can all talk and hear if you have a mic and speakers.

    > > "Betaville" <> wrote in message

    > > > Isn't there something that allows you to talk via internet video phone
    > > > with someone halfway around the globe?

    > > > What equipment do I need to do this?  How much is it? What software do
    > > > I need?

    > > > What service or service provider do I have to sign up with?  Or, can
    > > > it be done for free?- Hide quoted text -

    > Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    Buy a cheap headset or better still a clip-on mic. Sound comes from
    your speakers, talk into your mic & providing you have your Skype set
    up correctly your ON! Skype has all the settings handy.

    sandy58, Nov 25, 2008
  6. Betaville

    deltaville Guest

    On Nov 25, 3:44 pm, Bernie Woodham <> wrote:
    > On Nov 25, 4:21 pm, 0_0 <> wrote:
    >

    > > Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    > A mouth. A pair of ears would help, though only one ear will do.

    Can I get those at radioshack?

    deltaville, Nov 26, 2008
  7. Re: What do I need to communicate via video on the internet?

    On Nov 26, 2:03 pm, deltaville <> wrote:
    > On Nov 25, 3:44 pm, Bernie Woodham <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 25, 4:21 pm, 0_0 <> wrote:

    > > > Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    > > A mouth. A pair of ears would help, though only one ear will do.

    > Can I get those at radioshack?

    Maybe. Take a good butcher knife with you. And try to find a time when
    there are no other customers in the store.

    Bernie Woodham, Nov 26, 2008
  8. Re: What do I need to communicate via video on the internet?

    "0_0" <> wrote in message

    Other than a webcam, what do I need for speaking/hearing?

    <JS>
    Good question.

    The webcam should be the type with a microphone built in IF you don't
    already have a microphone.

    Any speakers are fine. I have speakers built into my monitor, and they work
    fine for this. If you have speakers for any kind of sound, other than system
    sounds that come through the PC's speaker, then you arte good to go. It you
    don't have speakers already, then you can buy speakers that simply plug into
    a jack on the back of your computer. Like I said, I use the speakers that
    are built into my monitor.

    I assume you already have a sound card, or sound capability built into the
    motherboard. You can check the back of your computer for three 2.5mm jacks
    that are colored salmon (pinkish), green, and blue. These are standard jacks
    that support Line In (mic), Line Out, and Speakers. The Line Out and
    Speakers are differentiated by the fact that Line Out has no volume control,
    and the Speaker jack is volume controlled by the PC.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 27, 2008