OT: Wednesday WTF

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Frisbee®, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Frisbee®

    Frisbee® Guest

    My batch mystery solved, thanks to some tech-heads over at GRC (Gibson
    Research) newsgroups.

    Turns out that while I -thought- that the desktop shortcut was running
    CMD.EXE, it was actually running COMMAND.COM - big difference, especially in
    the way it handles long file names, especially when those long filenames
    contain embedded spaces.

    Back in the early winders/dos days, we had to modify config.sys to expand
    the default environment size, since our batch files used extensive
    environment variables. The way to do that was to specify a
    shell=command.com with an /e:x switch to increas the environment size. This
    held over in the move to Win 2k/XP and we never really gave it much thought,
    but that meant that all command prompts were NOT running CMD.EXE, hence the
    problem.

    Solution: REMmed out the shell= line, and BINGO, DOS apps still work, and
    now the batch file works from command prompt, from shortcut, and when called
    from within a 16-bit Windows app.

    I'm sure this tid-bit will be very useful for each and every one of you.

    Frisbee®, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Frisbee®

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: Wednesday WTF

    Frisbee® <> rambled:

    > I'm sure this tid-bit will be very useful for each and every one of
    > you.

    So what you're saying is that COMMAND.COM is useless and can and should be
    deleted from all my workstations? Thanks, Fris!

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    Sometimes, I feel that www.mcngp.com isn't treating me with the respect
    I deserve.

    Briscobar, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Frisbee®

    kpg Guest

    Frisbee® <> said something like

    > Turns out that while I -thought- that the desktop shortcut was running
    > CMD.EXE, it was actually running COMMAND.COM - big difference,

    FOUL. No Fair. You cheated. I quit.

    kpg, Feb 23, 2006