OT: Webex replacements

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by John R, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. John R

    John R Guest

    I know this is a little more than slightly off topic, but maybe some of you
    can help me.

    I am looking for a replacement to webex. We use webex for remote customer
    support, and it's a great tool no doubt, but it's expensive as all get out.

    We have looked at and played with gotomypc, and logmein, however those
    products require extensive local installation, something that many of our
    customers object to (HIPAA concerns with their local IT staffs).

    Ideally, a product should have the following properties...

    full remote (secure) client control over the web
    a meeting center
    voice as well as web conferencing
    file transfer ability
    some type of payment portal (paypal or others)
    be easy to connect to via the Internet yet secure
    should pay us instead of us paying them

    Ok, the last one is a bit of a stretch, I can bend on that :)

    I am just looking for suggestions, maybe some of you have been in this boat
    before.

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might offer.

    John R

    John R, Feb 18, 2008

  2. John R

    David Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    We use Teamviewer. Its pretty dam good.

    David, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Remote assistance is built into XP, but it's a PITA to use. If you have VPN
    capability to your customer sites, DameWare Utilities is a great product. I
    like to build Virtual Images for each customer site (so the VM is a domain
    member) and then install VPN and DameWare on the VM. So when I need remote
    access to a customer, just fire up the relevant VM, connect to VPN, and
    remote control to my little hearts desire...

    You don't need the VM though as long as your VPN solution is somewhat
    homogenous across sites.

    - Jason

    Jason Lindgren, Feb 20, 2008
  4. John R

    John R Guest

    "Jason Lindgren" <> wrote in message
    > Remote assistance is built into XP, but it's a PITA to use. If you have
    > VPN
    > capability to your customer sites, DameWare Utilities is a great product.
    > like to build Virtual Images for each customer site (so the VM is a domain
    > member) and then install VPN and DameWare on the VM. So when I need remote
    > access to a customer, just fire up the relevant VM, connect to VPN, and
    > remote control to my little hearts desire...
    >
    > You don't need the VM though as long as your VPN solution is somewhat
    > homogenous across sites.

    Thanks for the suggestion Jason, however XPs RA is not going to be an option
    here, the clients are not on our lan. There was also a bug where RAs
    invitations did not include routing information so it would not work past
    the first router. I don't know if that was ever fixed or not, but the
    initial release of RA was crippled like that.

    We do not have VPN to the clients either. Most of our customers are medical
    billers, so there are massive HIPPA constraints that we must adhere to (not
    to mention the fact that we would have to deal with 2000 different IT
    departments to get the VPNs established). (We do actually have VPN to
    several of our larger customers, but the administration and security is very
    costly). I really like your idea of using VM, but again that doesn't
    provide online meetings and such.

    I love DameWare, we use it in house, but again, getting through all the
    firewalls between us and our customers aint' gonna happen either. DameWare
    also cannot do conferencing or one to many presentations.

    What I need is something similar to webex where we can securely connect
    through firewalls from both ends to make the connection easily.

    I have found something called yugma (www.yugma.com) that looks promising. I
    have also looked into David's suggestion about Teamviewer, however that
    product does not have a voice conference piece (although I like the idea of
    a one time price, not a month to month scenario like webex and yugma). We
    have our own conference bridge, but we would prefer to do presentations and
    training sessions on someone else's bridge to leave our's open for other
    company business.

    I am not against the idea of having two tools, one for support and one for
    presentations, but the "uppers" are pushing a single solution.

    Thanks

    John R

    John R, Feb 20, 2008
  5. I feel your pain! I also support a large medical practice as well as a
    couple of billing agencies - so I'm all too familiar with having to maintain
    HIPPA compliance. I have the luxury of VPN at each site though.
    Well, my only suggestions past what I've already stated are things that
    you've explored already. WebEx is a tough platform to beat. Best of luck to
    you! Sorry I don't have more to offer....

    - Jason

    On 2/20/08 3:03 PM, in article , "John

    Jason Lindgren, Feb 22, 2008
  6. John R

    AlexC Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    Bomgar would be best solution.
    I looked into this when I was choosing remote support software.
    Couldnt find anything better than Bomgar.

    www.bomgar.com

    AlexC, Apr 3, 2008
  7. John R

    kpg Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "AlexC" <> wrote in

    > Bomgar would be best solution.
    > I looked into this when I was choosing remote support software.
    > Couldnt find anything better than Bomgar.
    >
    > www.bomgar.com

    That looks pretty cool. I like it.

    kpg, Apr 3, 2008
  8. John R

    Bill Hileman Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    Personally, I prefer the sticker price on www.crossloop.com

    Bill Hileman, Apr 3, 2008
  9. John R

    kpg Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in news:umAtMfalIHA.5208
    @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >> "AlexC" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bomgar would be best solution.
    >>> I looked into this when I was choosing remote support software.
    >>> Couldnt find anything better than Bomgar.
    >>>
    >>> www.bomgar.com

    >> That looks pretty cool. I like it.

    > Personally, I prefer the sticker price on www.crossloop.com

    After viewing their website I'm confused... it is Free?

    kpg, Apr 3, 2008
  10. John R

    Bill Hileman Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in news:umAtMfalIHA.5208
    > @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >>> "AlexC" <> wrote in

    >>> That looks pretty cool. I like it.

    >> Personally, I prefer the sticker price on www.crossloop.com

    > After viewing their website I'm confused... it is Free?

    100% and works like a champ.

    I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.

    I've used it dozens of times and love it.

    Bill Hileman, Apr 3, 2008
  11. John R

    John R Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in message
    > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in news:umAtMfalIHA.5208
    >> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> "kpg" <> wrote in message

    >>> Personally, I prefer the sticker price on www.crossloop.com

    >> After viewing their website I'm confused... it is Free?

    > 100% and works like a champ.
    >
    > I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.
    >
    > I've used it dozens of times and love it.

    Actually yugma offers free accounts as well, but they are limited.
    Functional, but limited.

    Whatever solution we go with has to satisfy our customer's HIPAA concerns as
    well. I've contacted bomgar and they are sending me information now. It
    appears their solution will actually strengthen HIPAA compliance since the
    sessions can be recorded and archived. We'll see what they end up offering
    and what the price is. One time costs aren't really an issue (how stupid is
    my company to give me that kind of free reign!!!), it is the ongoing stuff
    that matters. Right now, I think we spend about $11K/month with webex, so
    something is going to have to give real soon.

    Thanks

    John R

    John R, Apr 3, 2008
  12. John R

    kpg Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in

    > "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in message
    >> "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in
    >>> news:umAtMfalIHA.5208 @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    >>> After viewing their website I'm confused... it is Free?

    >> 100% and works like a champ.
    >>
    >> I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.
    >>
    >> I've used it dozens of times and love it.
    >>

    > Actually yugma offers free accounts as well, but they are limited.
    > Functional, but limited.
    >
    > Whatever solution we go with has to satisfy our customer's HIPAA
    > concerns as well. I've contacted bomgar and they are sending me
    > information now. It appears their solution will actually strengthen
    > HIPAA compliance since the sessions can be recorded and archived.
    > We'll see what they end up offering and what the price is. One time
    > costs aren't really an issue (how stupid is my company to give me that
    > kind of free reign!!!), it is the ongoing stuff that matters. Right
    > now, I think we spend about $11K/month with webex, so something is
    > going to have to give real soon.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John R

    Well, me and Bill don't care about HIPAA complience.

    And free beats $11K/month in my book.

    kpg, Apr 3, 2008
  13. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    kpg <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in
    >

    >> "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in message
    >>> "kpg" <> wrote in message

    >>> 100% and works like a champ.
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.
    >>>
    >>> I've used it dozens of times and love it.
    >>>

    >> Actually yugma offers free accounts as well, but they are limited.
    >> Functional, but limited.
    >>
    >> Whatever solution we go with has to satisfy our customer's HIPAA
    >> concerns as well. I've contacted bomgar and they are sending me
    >> information now. It appears their solution will actually strengthen
    >> HIPAA compliance since the sessions can be recorded and archived.
    >> We'll see what they end up offering and what the price is. One time
    >> costs aren't really an issue (how stupid is my company to give me that
    >> kind of free reign!!!), it is the ongoing stuff that matters. Right
    >> now, I think we spend about $11K/month with webex, so something is
    >> going to have to give real soon.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John R

    > Well, me and Bill don't care about HIPAA complience.
    >
    > And free beats $11K/month in my book.

    We just poke holes in the router and use VNC or connect directly to the
    database.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 3, 2008
  14. John R

    John R Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    > We just poke holes in the router and use VNC or connect directly to the
    > database.

    Oh, to have that kind of luxury...

    Calgon, take me away....

    Wait, that sounded kind of wrong, didn't it?

    John R

    John R, Apr 3, 2008
  15. John R

    kpg Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in news:#G1Uv6blIHA.6136
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> We just poke holes in the router and use VNC or connect directly to the
    >> database.
    >>

    > Oh, to have that kind of luxury...
    >
    > Calgon, take me away....
    >
    > Wait, that sounded kind of wrong, didn't it?
    >
    > John R

    dude, you need to get out of the server room every so often.

    kpg, Apr 3, 2008
  16. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> prattled ceaselessly in

    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> We just poke holes in the router and use VNC or connect directly to
    >> the database.
    >>

    > Oh, to have that kind of luxury...
    >
    > Calgon, take me away....
    >
    > Wait, that sounded kind of wrong, didn't it?
    >
    > John R

    Sounded like a fine idea to me.

    catwalker63, Apr 4, 2008
  17. Re: Webex replacements

    On Apr 3, 1:29 pm, "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:
    > "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in message

    > > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in news:umAtMfalIHA.5208
    > >> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > >> After viewing their website I'm confused... it is Free?

    > > 100% and works like a champ.

    > > I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.

    > > I've used it dozens of times and love it.

    > Actually yugma offers free accounts as well, but they are limited.
    > Functional, but limited.
    >
    > Whatever solution we go with has to satisfy our customer's HIPAA concerns as
    > well. I've contacted bomgar and they are sending me information now. It
    > appears their solution will actually strengthen HIPAA compliance since the
    > sessions can be recorded and archived. We'll see what they end up offering
    > and what the price is. One time costs aren't really an issue (how stupid is
    > my company to give me that kind of free reign!!!), it is the ongoing stuff
    > that matters. Right now, I think we spend about $11K/month with webex, so
    > something is going to have to give real soon.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John R

    Hi John,

    iTivity also addresses HIPAA issues...

    http://www.itivity.tridia.com/pdfs/New_Threats_to_HIPAA_Compliance.pdf

    Similar to Bomgar, iTivity is a self-hosted solution with support
    for Windows and Linux desktops and servers. Both iTivity and
    Bomgar are less expensive long term. Typical iTivity customers
    are seeing positive ROI in 9 to 18 months.

    iTivity also has support for AIX, Solaris, HPUX and SCO servers
    that Bomgar does not.

    Full disclosure, as you already expected, I work at Tridia...

    Brian
    http://www.itivity.tridia.com/

    Brian Blevins, Apr 7, 2008
  18. John R

    Guest

    Re: Webex replacements

    On Apr 7, 10:53 am, Brian Blevins <> wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 1:29 pm, "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:
    >

    > > "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in message

    > > > "kpg" <> wrote in message

    > > > 100% and works like a champ.

    > > > I have no idea how they do that, and I donut care.

    > > > I've used it dozens of times and love it.

    > > Actually yugma offers free accounts as well, but they are limited.
    > > Functional, but limited.

    > > Whatever solution we go with has to satisfy our customer's HIPAA concerns as
    > > well. I've contactedbomgarand they are sending me information now. It
    > > appears their solution will actually strengthen HIPAA compliance since the
    > > sessions can be recorded and archived. We'll see what they end up offering
    > > and what the price is. One time costs aren't really an issue (how stupid is
    > > my company to give me that kind of free reign!!!), it is the ongoing stuff
    > > that matters. Right now, I think we spend about $11K/month with webex, so
    > > something is going to have to give real soon.

    > > Thanks

    > > John R

    > Hi John,
    >
    > iTivity also addresses HIPAA issues...
    >
    > http://www.itivity.tridia.com/pdfs/New_Threats_to_HIPAA_Compliance.pdf
    >
    > Similar toBomgar, iTivity is a self-hosted solution with support
    > for Windows and Linux desktops and servers. Both iTivity andBomgarare less expensive long term. Typical iTivity customers

    I actually fail to understand your point.

    IMO, Bomgar is VERY expensive - a customer has to purchase the
    hardware and pay for their own bandwidth. Almost any SaaS product
    would/has to be/should be cheaper!
    I like Elusiva Connect the best - http://www.elusiva.com/connect
    It is easy-to-use brandable and customizable. WebEx and GoTo Assist
    are nice, although not as nice as Connect from Elusiva. Anything would
    be better than upfronting 3-5 years worth of fees to buy an appliance
    and still have to continuously pay for an Internet pipe. A low-latency
    connection required for best performance will run an annual cost of a
    hosted solution every month.
    Great business idea. How about a Noble prize for that? :)

    > are seeing positive ROI in 9 to 18 months.

    With Saas positive ROI is something a customer sees during the first
    week. Elusiva is priced at $25 per month for unlimited use, WebEx is
    around $70 for three seats. A slot in a colo will run at least $100
    per month. Do you have a TCO breakdown for your product anywhere?

    > iTivity also has support for AIX, Solaris, HPUX and SCO servers
    > thatBomgardoes not.

    Would it not be great to support all those those AIX desktop users.
    Any plans to support Unicos or RSX-11? :p

    > Full disclosure, as you already expected, I work at Tridia...

    We use Elusiva product for support and it works great. I am sure
    your's is also a nice product and not just a recompiled VNC.
    Still, how does iTivity support symmetric firewalls without a relay
    server of sorts, a public IP and a slot in a colocation? If you don't
    [because it is impossible]; how could your model ever beat a SaaS
    product where the provider buys bandwidth in bulk?

    , Apr 29, 2008
  19. John R

    thomasking

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I would recommend using on premise RHUB web conferencing and remote support appliances. It covers all in one box.

    thomasking, Nov 20, 2013