OT: Washing Machine

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Flash, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. The Flash

    The Flash Guest

    Hello, I remebmber seeing a post on some time ago about fixing gentle annie
    washing machines, sure enough our one has broken down again! (It had the LV
    martins 5 year thing on it and seemed to require fixing every year or so for
    some problem!) And people who read this group have some good ideas on things

    What I would like to find is what the fault is and what it should cost to
    fix, as a couple of freinds of ours have had terrible experiances getting
    their gentle annie fixed (their last bill was over $500 to have a new pump
    and a recond controller fitted!)

    So the questions I would like answered if possible,

    1)How do i go into diagnostics mode and how do I interprate the readout?

    2) Should I purchase the parts and fit them myself? (I have changed the
    controller in an FP Electronic dryer ok but MAN they made it hard to get the
    controller!)

    3) If the answer to 2 is yes who is the best source for parts in the hutt
    vally / wellinton area?

    4)If the answer is No to 2, Who should I contact that can do the job and not
    rip me blind on billing?

    Thanks all.

    The Flash, Nov 14, 2004

  2. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
    10:01:44 +1300, The Flash <> says...
    > Hello, I remebmber seeing a post on some time ago about fixing gentle annie
    > washing machines, sure enough our one has broken down again! (It had the LV
    > martins 5 year thing on it and seemed to require fixing every year or so for
    > some problem!) And people who read this group have some good ideas on things
    >
    > What I would like to find is what the fault is and what it should cost to
    > fix, as a couple of freinds of ours have had terrible experiances getting
    > their gentle annie fixed (their last bill was over $500 to have a new pump
    > and a recond controller fitted!)
    >
    > So the questions I would like answered if possible,
    >
    > 1)How do i go into diagnostics mode and how do I interprate the readout?
    >
    > 2) Should I purchase the parts and fit them myself? (I have changed the
    > controller in an FP Electronic dryer ok but MAN they made it hard to get the
    > controller!)
    >
    > 3) If the answer to 2 is yes who is the best source for parts in the hutt
    > vally / wellinton area?
    >
    > 4)If the answer is No to 2, Who should I contact that can do the job and not
    > rip me blind on billing?
    >
    > Thanks all.

    Repost to aus.electronics

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004

  3. The Flash

    JWilson Guest

    Re: Washing Machine

    "The Flash" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I remebmber seeing a post on some time ago about fixing gentle

    annie
    > washing machines, sure enough our one has broken down again! (It had the

    LV
    > martins 5 year thing on it and seemed to require fixing every year or so

    for
    > some problem!) And people who read this group have some good ideas on

    things

    > What I would like to find is what the fault is and what it should cost to
    > fix, as a couple of freinds of ours have had terrible experiances getting
    > their gentle annie fixed (their last bill was over $500 to have a new pump
    > and a recond controller fitted!)
    >
    > So the questions I would like answered if possible,
    >
    > 1)How do i go into diagnostics mode and how do I interprate the readout?
    >
    > 2) Should I purchase the parts and fit them myself? (I have changed the
    > controller in an FP Electronic dryer ok but MAN they made it hard to get

    the
    > controller!)
    >
    > 3) If the answer to 2 is yes who is the best source for parts in the hutt
    > vally / wellinton area?
    >
    > 4)If the answer is No to 2, Who should I contact that can do the job and

    not
    > rip me blind on billing?
    >
    > Thanks all.

    If it has the control board light sequence along the top
    make a note of the light positions when it stops and
    ring Fisher and paykel. They can tell you the cause and
    maybe, with a bit of luck, how to fix it.

    JWilson, Nov 15, 2004
  4. In article <>, says...

    > 4)If the answer is No to 2, Who should I contact that can do the job and not
    > rip me blind on billing?

    I reckon you're in the "get rid of Windows and install linux" situation.
    Get rid of that F&P piece of crap and install something made by someone
    else (so long as it doesn't come out of the People's Republic of China,
    it'll be better than F&P). Their stuff is underengineered, they use
    crappy components ... everybody I know who had a Gentle Annie was
    throwing good money after bad, again and again and again.
    I bought a F&P ceramic stove and dumped it after one year: three
    switches in it had burned out and one power point. They must spend a
    fortune on warranty claims. F&P: Never again! Get a Miele or Maytag;
    Bosch are made in China these days <sigh> and AEG are no longer very
    good either. Dunno about other brands except I once had a Hoover that
    took industrial strength abuse for 20+ years.

    -P.

    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

    Peter Huebner, Nov 15, 2004
  5. The Flash

    steve Guest

    The Flash wrote:

    > Hello, I remebmber seeing a post on some time ago about fixing gentle
    > annie washing machines, sure enough our one has broken down again! (It had
    > the LV martins 5 year thing on it and seemed to require fixing every year
    > or so for some problem!) And people who read this group have some good
    > ideas on things

    Our old machine last 10 years without a hitch...then died.

    Our new Gentle Annie went 5 years without a hassle....then we shifted
    house...and it began to act strangely: beeping, not finishing the cycle,
    stopping at random points..and refusing to carry on.

    We had it repaired (by LV Martin via our service contract)....and it went
    fine.

    Then we shifted house....again....and it began to act strangely - like
    before.

    This made me THINK. What was it about those two situations?

    Then it came to me: the machine needs to LEVEL. Not sort of or
    almost.....but LEVEL.

    I noticed in the hold house that over the 5 years we were there, the laundry
    floor had tipped a noticeable amount (small, but noticeable) after a series
    of earthquakes. The same earthquakes made a room fall off our other
    house....due to subsidence...

    So I got out my level....and put packers under the machine until it was dead
    level.

    I have not had a problem since. That saved me a repair call.

    They spin fairly fast...and if they aren't level, they won't work properly.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Nov 16, 2004
  6. The Flash

    steve Guest

    The Flash wrote:

    > Hello, I remebmber seeing a post on some time ago about fixing gentle
    > annie washing machines, sure enough our one has broken down again! (It had
    > the LV martins 5 year thing on it and seemed to require fixing every year
    > or so for some problem!) And people who read this group have some good
    > ideas on things
    >
    > What I would like to find is what the fault is and what it should cost to
    > fix, as a couple of freinds of ours have had terrible experiances getting
    > their gentle annie fixed (their last bill was over $500 to have a new pump
    > and a recond controller fitted!)
    >
    > So the questions I would like answered if possible,
    >
    > 1)How do i go into diagnostics mode and how do I interprate the readout?
    >
    > 2) Should I purchase the parts and fit them myself? (I have changed the
    > controller in an FP Electronic dryer ok but MAN they made it hard to get
    > the controller!)
    >
    > 3) If the answer to 2 is yes who is the best source for parts in the hutt
    > vally / wellinton area?
    >
    > 4)If the answer is No to 2, Who should I contact that can do the job and
    > not rip me blind on billing?
    >
    > Thanks all.

    Oh....and the manual for your machine is downloadable in PDF form from the
    F&P web site.

    It gives all the detail for doing hwat you are asking. Diagnostic mode and
    what the codes mean.

    steve, Nov 16, 2004