OT Warehouse, Sanyo 42" Plasma TV's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I see The Warehouse are now selling 42" Sanyo Plasma tv's for about
    the 3k mark. Google doesn't reveal much in the way of reviews etc.

    http://www.sanyo.co.nz/ Model PDP42XS1

    Spec's:

    106CM PLASMA TV

    * 42" Plasma TV with remote control
    * HD Ready
    * HDMI input
    * 4H digital comb filter
    * High Contrast: 10,000:1 and Brightness: 1500 cd/m2
    * Sleep timer
    * Picture in Picture
    * Table stand, parental control
    * 852 x 480 resolution
    * NTSC playback
    * VHF / UHF / Hyperband, 200 channels
    * 10W channel (RMS)
    * S-video, L/R RCA for S-video or AV/HDMI/DSUB
    * Stereo/Progressive Scan
    * 160 degree viewing angle
    * RCA audio output, L/R RCA for video out
    * Earphone Jack: Stereo mini phone jack
    * Weight: 41kg
    *
    Dimensions : 1050 x 670 x 80 plasma only,
    1246 x 731 x 305 (with stand and speakers)(WxHxD)mm
    Warranty: 12 months repair warranty

    Has anyone had a decent play/purchased one of these, any
    comments/reviews on picture quality..performance etc would be much
    appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Mark, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Mark

    Ritch Fukka Guest

    Most of the Plasmas being sold here in NZ are early generation. Check out
    the resolution (in this case as with most NZ models) - 852 x 480. That's why
    they are so cheap.

    If you can afford it, invest in a high resolution model to take advantage of
    the introduction of high definition dvd within the next twelve months.

    Good luck

    Ritch Fukka, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Mark

    thingy Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > I see The Warehouse are now selling 42" Sanyo Plasma tv's for about
    > the 3k mark. Google doesn't reveal much in the way of reviews etc.
    >
    > http://www.sanyo.co.nz/ Model PDP42XS1
    >
    > Spec's:
    >
    > 106CM PLASMA TV
    >
    > * 42" Plasma TV with remote control
    > * HD Ready
    > * HDMI input
    > * 4H digital comb filter
    > * High Contrast: 10,000:1 and Brightness: 1500 cd/m2
    > * Sleep timer
    > * Picture in Picture
    > * Table stand, parental control
    > * 852 x 480 resolution
    > * NTSC playback
    > * VHF / UHF / Hyperband, 200 channels
    > * 10W channel (RMS)
    > * S-video, L/R RCA for S-video or AV/HDMI/DSUB
    > * Stereo/Progressive Scan
    > * 160 degree viewing angle
    > * RCA audio output, L/R RCA for video out
    > * Earphone Jack: Stereo mini phone jack
    > * Weight: 41kg
    > *
    > Dimensions : 1050 x 670 x 80 plasma only,
    > 1246 x 731 x 305 (with stand and speakers)(WxHxD)mm
    > Warranty: 12 months repair warranty
    >

    > Has anyone had a decent play/purchased one of these, any
    > comments/reviews on picture quality..performance etc would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Mark

    DSE have one for circa $2200 or $2400..only a 1 year warrantee
    though.....but 2 years interest free.

    I need a new TV but I am waiting til after Xmas....should be some better
    deals in the new Year I reckon.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Mark

    Richard Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Has anyone had a decent play/purchased one of these, any
    > comments/reviews on picture quality..performance etc would be much
    > appreciated.

    Low res panel, lower then SD Pal is so how the hell they can claim hdtv
    compatibility is anyones guess.

    You really have to go to a bigger screen to get more resolution, they can only
    make pixels on a plasma so small before the contrast ratio suffers as the
    discharge in each pixel cant stop totally there is always a small amount of
    light, more cells means more light when its supposed to be black.

    LCD has come a long long way, go to a proper shop and have a compare.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Mark

    Guest

    Ritch Fukka wrote:
    > Most of the Plasmas being sold here in NZ are early generation. Check out
    > the resolution (in this case as with most NZ models) - 852 x 480. That's why
    > they are so cheap.
    >
    > If you can afford it, invest in a high resolution model to take advantage of
    > the introduction of high definition dvd within the next twelve months.

    While I'd agree, if you're getting a plasma you might want to consider
    why and whether a HD one might be good, I personally suspect it'll be
    more then 12 months before HD DVDs or Bluray discs become a resonable
    option in NZ. First you'll have to wait for the players, then for the
    discs to become decently priced.

    Personally, I think HD or any plasma is a waste at the moment. Even
    when we have HD and Bluray discs HD TV still looks to be at least 24
    months, probably longer off in NZ. We don't even have DVB-T yet other
    then TVNZs test.

    Not to mention the power bills from plasma and the burn in risks (NZ
    channels are probably often not very anti-burn in friendly)...

    Perhaps LCD
    , Dec 22, 2005
  6. At that very moment, Richard turned to nz.comp and said
    > Low res panel, lower then SD Pal is so how the hell they can claim hdtv
    > compatibility is anyones guess.

    Good point - this plasma would be lower resolution than your average CRT
    tv!

    Looks like a cheapo NTSC model shipped here

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 26, 2005
  7. Mark

    Alhambra Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:08:54 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had a decent play/purchased one of these, any
    >> comments/reviews on picture quality..performance etc would be much
    >> appreciated.

    > Low res panel, lower then SD Pal is so how the hell they can claim hdtv
    > compatibility is anyones guess.

    What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    -A
    Alhambra, Dec 31, 2005
  8. Mark

    Menoeceus Guest

    On , , Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:24:01 +1300, Re: OT Warehouse, Sanyo
    42" Plasma TV's, Alhambra <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:08:54 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone had a decent play/purchased one of these, any
    >>> comments/reviews on picture quality..performance etc would be much
    >>> appreciated.

    >> Low res panel, lower then SD Pal is so how the hell they can claim hdtv
    >> compatibility is anyones guess.

    >What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    Crap on HDTV is still crap.
    Granted you can see it better but who wants to watch crap?
    Menoeceus, Dec 31, 2005
  9. On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:04:50 +1300, Menoeceus <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On , , Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:24:01 +1300, Re: OT Warehouse, Sanyo
    > 42" Plasma TV's, Alhambra <> wrote:

    >>> Low res panel, lower then SD Pal is so how the hell they can claim hdtv
    >>> compatibility is anyones guess.

    >>What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    > Crap on HDTV is still crap.
    > Granted you can see it better but who wants to watch crap?

    Anybody anywhere who turns their TV on!

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 31, 2005
  10. Mark

    Richard Guest

    Alhambra wrote:

    > What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    For watching all the downloaded hdtv rip xvids of shows that wont be on in NZ
    for another 6 months and will be cropped, lower res, only have stereo and be
    interupted every 10 mins when they are.
    Richard, Dec 31, 2005
  11. Mark

    Mutley Guest

    Richard <> wrote:

    >Alhambra wrote:
    >
    >> What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    >For watching all the downloaded hdtv rip xvids of shows that wont be on in NZ
    >for another 6 months and will be cropped, lower res, only have stereo and be
    >interupted every 10 mins when they are.

    The problem is that these rips are still in low res rather than HDs
    1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 so you basically gain nothing..
    Mutley, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Mark

    Richard Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Richard <> wrote:
    >

    >>Alhambra wrote:
    >>

    >>>What use is hdtv compatibility in NZ anyway?

    >>For watching all the downloaded hdtv rip xvids of shows that wont be on in NZ
    >>for another 6 months and will be cropped, lower res, only have stereo and be
    >>interupted every 10 mins when they are.

    > The problem is that these rips are still in low res rather than HDs
    > 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 so you basically gain nothing..

    They are still more then 480 lines, so you are gaining something.
    Richard, Jan 3, 2006