    running inside a virtual machine!
    There is also experimental 3D support via Open-GL.
    Carlos
    Carlos, Dec 18, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...>

    > As of v2.0 it supports x64 guests and there is also USB 2.0 support.
    > The interesting item in this new release is that it also supports x64 guests
    > in 32-bit hosts, provided you have a 64-bit microprocessor.
    > Yes, you read it right. You may be running XP 32-bit and have Vista x64
    > running inside a virtual machine!

    Can it be run on Vista64
    with CPU without hardware virtualization support, like Core2Duo E4x00 ?

    I ask because in previous Vbox versions
    running 64b guest
    on 64b OS
    on CPU without HW virtualization
    was not possible.

    --
    Poutnik
    Poutnik, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I am not an expert in Virtualbox but I think the answer to your question is
    yes.
    More info in Virtualbox forums:
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/
    or FAQ
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Poutnik Guest

    I am afraid the answer is NO.

    Trying to Instal Linux Mandriva Free 2009 - 64
    on Vbox64b 2.1.0 running on vista64 home Premium
    with C2D e4600 CPU

    results in Mandriva setup error msg:

    Wrong architecture:
    This is a 32-bit computer.
    You cannot use 64-bit software on it

    Msg is the same I got on VBox 2.0.x

    Serie C2D E4x00 does not have HW virtualization support,
    that was said requested to run 64bit guests in previous VBox versions.
    C2D E6x00 has - it should run in it.

    In article <>,
    says...>

    --
    Poutnik
    Poutnik, Dec 21, 2008
  5. Download the user manual and read it. It will answer your
    question. Your CPU must be one that has hardware
    virtualization built into it

    1.6 64-bit guests
    Starting with Version 2.0, VirtualBox also supports 64-bit
    guest operating systems.
    Starting with Version 2.1, you can even run 64-bit guests on
    a 32-bit host operating system, so long as you have
    sufficient hardware.
    In detail, 64-bit guests are supported under the following
    conditions:
    1. You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization
    support (see chapter
    1.2, Software vs. hardware virtualization (VT-x and AMD-V),
    page 10).
    2. You must enable hardware virtualization for the
    particular VM for which you
    want 64-bit support; software virtualization is not
    supported for 64-bit VMs.
    Note: On most systems, the hardware virtualization features
    first need to be
    enabled in the BIOS before VirtualBox can use them.
    3. If you want to use 64-bit guest support on a 32-bit host
    operating system, you
    must also select a 64-bit operating system for the
    particular VM. Since supporting
    64 bits on 32-bit hosts incurs additional overhead,
    VirtualBox only enables this
    support upon explicit request.
    On 64-bit hosts, 64-bit guest support is always enabled, so
    you can simply install
    a 64-bit operating system in the guest.
    Warning: On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for
    virtual machines
    that you intend to use in 64-bit mode. This is especially
    true for 64-bit Windows
    VMs. See chapter 3.7.1.2, “Advanced” tab, page 46. In
    addition, for
    64-bit Windows guests, you should make sure that the VM uses
    the Intel networking
    device, since there is no 64-bit driver support for the AMD
    PCnet
    card; see chapter 6.1, Virtual networking hardware, page 77.
    5See chapter 13, Known issues, page 182.
    6See chapter 13, Known issues, page 182.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 21, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Error message is misleading ("This is a 32-bit computer").
    Yours is running Vista x64 on top of a 64-bit microprocessor.
    Page 12 of the user manual clearly states that no hardware virtualization is
    necessary.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2008
  7. But, for 64-bit guests on a 32-bit operating system see page 16:

[...]
    16

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 21, 2008
  8. Carlos

    Carlos Guest