    I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
    All are used, some are ex-rental.
    How do I clean the tapes before using them?
    fruitbat, Sep 28, 2005

  2. fruitbat

    FAQmeister Guest

    Re: video tapes need a clean

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    news:433b204f$
    > I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
    > All are used, some are ex-rental.
    > How do I clean the tapes before using them?

    You can't. However fast forwarding all the way to the end and then
    rewinding them will repack the tape and knock off any loose particles.
    Old tapes have a much higher probablility of clogging the heads on your
    player so buy a head cleaning kit. You're going to need it.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Sep 29, 2005

  3. fruitbat

    dubbah Guest

    Re: video tapes need a clean

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > > I have bought a box full of movies on video tapes.
    > > All are used, some are ex-rental.
    > > How do I clean the tapes before using them?

    > You can't. However fast forwarding all the way to the end and then
    > rewinding them will repack the tape and knock off any loose particles.
    > Old tapes have a much higher probablility of clogging the heads on your
    > player so buy a head cleaning kit. You're going to need it.

    Right, but not so fast, there is more: better to have a videotape
    rewinding machine as well: the fast foward is also an option, good to
    have both options on your rewinder (get more if you have countless
    tapes) rather than wearing and tearing your VCR by using it to
    rewind/fast fowarding videotapes. If your films can be copies to dvd,
    go that way.
    dubbah, Sep 29, 2005