[OT] Using multiple desktops to keep Thunderbird organized

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mumia W. (on aioe), Jan 3, 2007.

  1. In the days of old (yesterday :) ) there was a prospective
    Thunderbird user who wanted to keep the taskbar uncluttered by finding a
    way to tell TB to not create a taskbar item for each compose window created.

    What I do to keep taskbar clutter down is to use multiple desktops
    (workspaces) under Gnome/Linux. I have four desktops, and I switch
    between them by using Control-Alt-Left and Control-Alt-Right.

    This is how I often organize my desktops:

    Desktop 1 - Programming Editors
    Desktop 2 - Thunderbird
    Desktop 3 - Thunderbird
    Desktop 4 - Firefox

    Each desktop (workspace) has its own taskbar, and each taskbar shows
    only the windows that are on that desktop :)

    http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/latest/overview-workspaces.html

    All of this is part of the free operating system Debian GNU/Linux:
    http://www.debian.org/ :-D

    Alas, when I last used Windows, it had no multiple desktops feature.
    However, there is hope.

    First, Microsoft has not yet adjusted the Windows firewall to block
    access to http://www.debian.org/ . (That's probably in the next update
    ;-) ).

    Second, Microsoft has a power-toy called Virtual Desktop Manager that
    can reputedly create multiple desktops:

    Third, the Windows taskbar can be made larger. In the days of old (three
    years ago) I used to double or triple the size of the taskbar by
    clicking and dragging on an edge of it. That will give the taskbar much
    more space to display application names.

    (Followups set to alt.os.linux.debian)

    --

    Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:
    http://www.badvista.org/
    Mumia W. (on aioe), Jan 3, 2007