OT: Unemployment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Bob, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Are you looking to be a drain on society?

    unemployment
    >works in their country? Basic rules. I'm curious,

    because I have been
    >told that Australia has quite an attractive social

    welfare system.
    >People immigrate here to get benefits.
    >
    >Over here, you receive about AU$300 (about US$240) per

    fortnight
    >if you are an unemployed single. This amount is pretty

    much
    >doubled if your spouse is also unemployed. What makes it

    variable
    >is that you can also claim rent assistance if you are not

    living in your
    >own home. Curiously, you can rent your home out at the

    same time.
    >Benefits are means tested, but you would have to be quite

    wealthy
    >not to qualify (some millionaire farmers, rich in assetts

    but cash
    >poor, get benefits). The Government does not expect you

    to sell
    >your home before being eligible for benefits but does

    expect you
    >to spend any savings you have. If you have children, you

    qualify
    >for even more money. So much so that at around 3-4

    children,
    >you will likely get more benefits in real terms than

    working a
    >non-professional, full time job. Six or more children

    can be the
    >same as a professional income.
    >
    >Most put in a form every two weeks. You have to show

    that you
    >are actively engaged in looking for work, or training for

    new skills.
    >We do have chronic unemployed, who measure their welfare

    time
    >in decades.
    >
    >I would be interested to find out what welfare is like

    for Americans,
    >those in Europe and the UK.
    >
    >It is my understanding that there is no such things as

    unemployment
    >benefits in India, most of Asia and some other well

    developed
    >countries, even if you have been working and find

    yourself

    Bob, Feb 14, 2004

  2. ----- Bob wrote: ----

    Are you looking to be a drain on society

    Hardly. I make more than 20 times welfare payments

    Why the hell would I give that up

    I was asking because of some topical media coverage lately

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Feb 15, 2004