    willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just drawn a blank as
    to where to go from here.
    Thanks

    W, Mar 31, 2006

  2. W

    beenthere Guest

    Re: UK Employment Situation, and Skills Shortages

    "W" <> wrote in message
    >I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had
    >hoped to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects are
    >about nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need
    >something with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    > If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade.
    > I am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    > reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having
    > a skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would
    > welcome advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of
    > work, I am willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just
    > drawn a blank as to where to go from here.
    > Thanks

    Practical trades like Plumber, Electrician etc. will never be out of, or
    short of work. If you are now at a crossroads, you have to consider
    something that you will enjoy doing. It might be for the rest of your
    working life. Think carefully about your own capabilities.
    Would you make an excellent Plumber ?.
    Excellent is a lot better than good !.
    I wish you well in your search. Best wishes.

    beenthere, Mar 31, 2006

  3. W

    Gordon Guest

    W wrote:

    > I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had
    > hoped to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects
    > are about
    > nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need something
    > with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    > If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade.
    > I am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    > reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having
    > skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would welcome
    > advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of work, I
    > am
    > willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just drawn a blank
    > as to where to go from here.
    > Thanks

    Loads of contract jobs as far as I can see for Oracle, SAP and
    JDEdwards.........you probably need some software-specific skills and
    experience.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2006
  4. W

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had hoped
    > to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects are about
    > nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need something
    > with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    > If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade. I
    > am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    > reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having a
    > skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would welcome
    > advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of work, I am
    > willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just drawn a blank as
    > to where to go from here.
    > Thanks

    There is no reason to give up IT, as there are MANY Areas in IT. You
    just don't have the experience yet to get into one of those great paying
    jobs.

    You need to position yourself in an area of IT that is growing - this
    means that you don't want to be a programmer, don't want to be a call
    center support type, you want to be in the area of security or network
    design or enterprise design services.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Mar 31, 2006
  5. W

    Tito Guest

    W wrote:
    > I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had hoped
    > to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects are about
    > nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need something
    > with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    > If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade. I
    > am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    > reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having a
    > skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would welcome
    > advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of work, I am
    > willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just drawn a blank as
    > to where to go from here.
    > Thanks

    You will probably have to start on a low end IT job and get more
    experience as contrary to the adverts, I've not met anyone in IT on
    £30k+ PA. It tends to be a lot less, so expect to start low.
    The there is contract work and self employed ad-hoc work here and there.

    I don't think you should give up on IT as this is what you have learned.

    --
    http://www.needmyhelp.com

    Tito, Mar 31, 2006
  6. W

    Tomo Guest

    "W" <> wrote in message
    >I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had
    >hoped to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects are
    >about nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need
    >something with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    > If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade.
    > I am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    > reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having
    > a skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would
    > welcome advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of
    > work, I am willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just
    > drawn a blank as to where to go from here.
    > Thanks

    I've been in IT for 20 + years and have seen the changes over that period.
    If I was a young bloke looking for a career I would stay away from IT - it
    changes too rapidly and you can never keep up with it and it cuts into your
    time away from your place of employment. Accounting is a great area as it
    doesn't change much and there always is demand for accountants - it is very
    stable sector of the services industry. I've seen too many IT people who
    made good money for years all of a sudden not be able to get IT employment
    for years.

    Forget IT - it is not good in the long run.

    Best wishes

    Tomo

    Tomo, Mar 31, 2006
  7. W

    Tony Guest

    "Tomo" <> wrote in message

    > "W" <> wrote in message
    >>I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had
    >>hoped to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects
    >>are about nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need
    >>something with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.
    >> If I could have my time again I would probably have gone in for a trade.
    >> I am looking for a line of work where there is a real demand and that is
    >> reasonable achievable. Plumbers have frequently been mentioned as having
    >> a skills shortage although this may no longer be the case. I would
    >> welcome advise on what sort of work I could consider. I am not afraid of
    >> work, I am willing to study and I am capable of learning. I have just
    >> drawn a blank as to where to go from here.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > I've been in IT for 20 + years and have seen the changes over that period.
    > If I was a young bloke looking for a career I would stay away from IT - it
    > changes too rapidly and you can never keep up with it and it cuts into
    > your time away from your place of employment. Accounting is a great area
    > as it doesn't change much and there always is demand for accountants - it
    > is very stable sector of the services industry. I've seen too many IT
    > people who made good money for years all of a sudden not be able to get IT
    > employment for years.
    >
    > Forget IT - it is not good in the long run.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Tomo

    Problem is that all employers seem to want are experienced people - and you
    can't get the experience unless they will employ you - bit of a catch 22.

    It does depend what area of IT you want to work in. I gave up full time
    work and now am self employed supporting several smaller local companies. I
    prefer to work with several smaller companies than one big one - if I loose
    one, I can always find another but I still have income from the others in
    the meantime. If I worked for one large one, if I lost it, I'd be without
    income. I also do contract work for other IT support companies that don't
    have any engineers in this area and am free to do it being self employed.

    Throw in a bit of web design work which I enjoy doing and I'm a happy bunny
    being my own boss. In fact I would never work for someone else again.

    I don't miss the back stabbing internal politics. I don't miss having to
    get up the same time every day and being imprisoned by an employers
    draconian rules. I don't miss know it all graduate knob heads who think
    they know everything "because that's what we were taught" but really don't
    have a clue what they are doing. I don't miss sarcastic bosses whom I
    wouldn't p*ss on if they were on fire. I don't miss any of it - if fact, to
    the OP, don't even bother to try and find a job working for someone else.

    Get a ladder, a bucket a squeegee,a chamois and become a self employed
    window cleaner. Out in the fresh air, going up in the world every day, what
    more could you want?

    Tony, Mar 31, 2006
  8. W

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > It does depend what area of IT you want to work in. I gave up full time
    > work and now am self employed supporting several smaller local companies.

    Ditto. Only way to work.

    > ... what more could you want?

    Chocolate fudge cake

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 1, 2006
  9. W

    Plato Guest

    W wrote:

    > I am a qualified MCP and MCDST. I hope to soon complete my A+. I had hoped
    > to begin a career in IT but I have now accepted that my prospects are about
    > nil. I now need to find another career to study for and I need something
    > with better prospects than IT. I correctly do a desk job.

    Buy a Sunday newspaper. See what is most in demand. In the USA, its
    Healthcare and Education. In my local newspaper for the Sunday edition.
    They even have a separate 10 page section for Healthcare jobs and
    another 10 page section for Education jobs.

    _all_ the rest of the jobs are in another 5 page section.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 3, 2006