    chimney, or use some device to select the best spot?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Jan 16, 2005

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    napalm68 Guest

    Re: TV Antennas, strictly line-of-sight?

    They would be measuring signal strength.

    If you are in line of sight to the towers, anywhere should be fine. If not,
    hunting around for the best signal strength is a good enough idea. Also,
    look at your neighbours. If you see a pattern as to where they are located
    on their houses, a good idea to maybe follow suit. I've installed about 6
    antennas at various places I've lived at in my life with good results, and
    never had a signal meter. The TV is a good signal meter :)
    Good quality cabling (like quad coax and crimp rj connectors) help too.

    napalm68, Jan 16, 2005

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    Tony soprano Guest

    > Rabbit ears aren't doing the job anymore and I'd like to get a rooftop

    antenna
    > installed.
    >
    > My daughter had one put on and the guy walked around on the roof with some

    sort
    > of meter, selecting what he said was the best location.
    >
    > Went down to the local Radio Shack, and they took issue with that story -

    saying
    > that location on the roof should be irrelevant as long as there is

    line-of-sight
    > to the transmission towers.
    >
    > After a number of years fooling around with rabbit ears, I know for sure

    that
    > the location of those antennae definately matters: good signal in one

    place,
    > poor signal five feet away.
    >
    > So what's the real answere for rooftop antennas: Just fasten it to the

    nearest
    > chimney, or use some device to select the best spot?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Have a rotor installed and you can rotate the antenna to get the best signal
    from all stations in your area.

    I had one installed to get my OTA HD signals and love it.

    T.

    Tony soprano, Jan 18, 2005