    I did NOT incite the Iranian elections riots! So there.

    "Stupid is as '§ñühw¤£f' does." --Forrest Gump's Mamma
    "Run 'Lookout', Run!" --Forrest Gump's Jenny

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 3, 2009

  2. Bucky Breeder

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    Subject: [OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless

    It looks to me like a.b.boneless is a rump/rogue group - it is not
    carried by major newsservers such as giganews. Nor lesser ones such as
    usenet-news, which is a highwinds-media server.

    I found some newsservers which carried the group but didn't have any
    messages in it. Here's what newzbot sez about servers carrying some
    messages in that group

    http://www.newzbot.com/search.php?q=a.b.boneless

    > Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...

    There are also several other boneless groups, so your target as stated,
    spelled, may be 'ambiguous'.

    Here's what newzbot sez about other boneless groups somewhat similarly
    named

    I was also able to find the following groups similar to your request:

    a.b.boneless
    a.b.boneless.nl
    alt.binairies.boneless
    alt.binaries.boneless
    alt.binaries.boneless.nl
    alt.boneless
    alt.boneless.popquiz

    > They post ~3 million a day up in there,

    Not a.b.boneless in any normal newsservers

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 3, 2009

  3. "Mike Easter" <> deflatulated this with

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > Subject: [OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless
    >
    > It looks to me like a.b.boneless is a rump/rogue group - it is not
    > carried by major newsservers such as giganews. Nor lesser ones such as
    > usenet-news, which is a highwinds-media server.
    >
    > I found some newsservers which carried the group but didn't have any
    > messages in it. Here's what newzbot sez about servers carrying some
    > messages in that group
    >
    > http://www.newzbot.com/search.php?q=a.b.boneless
    >
    >> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...

    > There are also several other boneless groups,
    > so your target as stated, spelled, may be 'ambiguous'.

    Anyone who deals with the binaries sort of knows which
    is the real one and which are the decoys... I think
    [they] do that screwy-name-thang on purpose... or just
    for the spammers?

    > Here's what newzbot sez about other boneless groups
    > somewhat similarly named
    >
    > I was also able to find the following groups similar to your request:
    >
    > a.b.boneless
    > a.b.boneless.nl
    > alt.binairies.boneless
    > alt.binaries.boneless
    > alt.binaries.boneless.nl
    > alt.boneless
    > alt.boneless.popquiz
    >
    >> They post ~3 million a day up in there,

    > Not a.b.boneless in any normal newsservers

    alt.binaries.boneless

    I needed to retrieve something posted on the 28th...

    http://www.binsearch.info/ gives the [search field]
    in "[xx]d" ago posted... because it's a European
    server, there's often a day discrepancy from our time,
    the *real* "Red-White-and-Blue" American time, around
    which the entire universe revolves...

    I got it, but man-O-man, it's a drill downloading
    ~250,000 headers at a time, and starting on the 27th
    just to err on the side of caution... and the Xnews
    slider is just way too small to really refine efficiently.

    I guess I should learn to use the .nzb system, but this
    so rarely occurs, it'd be nice if someone has/had a
    modification to the "Open Special..." dialog...

    But, I got it done, thankfully.

    Best regards.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
    that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket; and yet,

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Bucky Breeder

    chuckcar Guest

    Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote in news:Xns9C5C68E934061BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:

    > Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...
    >
    > They post ~3 million a day up in there, those silly
    > Dutchmen, and the Xnews search slider is only about
    > 2 inches long on my widescreen. (Some of you more
    > delusional pervs might get a kick out of that one.)
    >
    > FYI and any reasonable suggestions might be considered.

    So filter to show only articles with "nfo" in the subject, mark them 9999,
    remove the filter, sort by score, look at the nfo, if you don't want it
    set the score to 0, (this toggles by clicking on the score field of any
    article) then switch back and forth between sorting by score and date to
    allow you to transfer wanted posts into a queue. You might also try
    news.software.readers on this one. I'm assuming memory is not a problem
    here.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 4, 2009
  5. chuckcar <> deflatulated this with

    > Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote in news:Xns9C5C68E934061BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:
    >
    >> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...
    >>
    >> They post ~3 million a day up in there, those silly
    >> Dutchmen, and the Xnews search slider is only about
    >> 2 inches long on my widescreen. (Some of you more
    >> delusional pervs might get a kick out of that one.)
    >>
    >> FYI and any reasonable suggestions might be considered.

    > So filter to show only articles with "nfo" in the subject, mark them
    > 9999, remove the filter, sort by score, look at the nfo, if you don't
    > want it set the score to 0, (this toggles by clicking on the score field
    > of any article) then switch back and forth between sorting by score and
    > date to allow you to transfer wanted posts into a queue. You might also
    > try news.software.readers on this one. I'm assuming memory is not a
    > problem here.

    In the boneless group almost all the posters post properly... an NFO,
    often the NZB (those that use it) then the PAR2, then the volumes,
    followed by the PAR-set, and sometimes the DIZ file. It's just really
    high-volume, 24/7...

    Xnews does display some memory problems when searching high-activity
    groups. I generally use a workstation having a dual-processor Intel
    @ 3-GHz with 3-GB RAM; but it's *how* Xnews uses the memory in the
    searches and/or how it records the newsrec files which will crash it
    after an extensive search session.... It's an easy recovery.

    This is really so rare that I would not couch it as a "complaint"
    about Xnews. It is confined to incidences where I am searching for
    a distant post in a high-volume group. There are so many features
    of Xnews which makes it superior [for my usage]. But, if only
    the "Open Special..." dialog were a little bit more configurable, then
    targeting a more specific date-range would be considerably easier.
    Because of the lower volume in the groups, music is much easier to
    to refine a search for a specific target... but most of them only see
    ~50-thousand per day, juxtaposed to bonless' >~3-million or such.

    I'll play with the scoring filters next time the issue comes up, but
    I don't see it helping much in these very specific situations... but
    it's certainly worth another look.

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 4, 2009