    it a little more on topic, will I have to get some software to convert the
    signal and record via my PC?

    Roger C

    Roger & Kath, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Roger & Kath

    PeeCee Guest

    "Roger & Kath" <> wrote in message
    news:498ff069$...
    > Bit off topic, but does anyone iknow if it is possible to plug a video
    > player into a DVD recorder and so record what is on the video? Or, to
    > bring it a little more on topic, will I have to get some software to
    > convert the signal and record via my PC?
    >
    > Roger C

    Well my Hard Drive DVD recorder has 3 standard sets of Video and Left/Right
    audio inputs.
    I frequently record from a VCR plugged into one of these AV inputs to the
    DVD recorders Hard drive
    I've never done straight to DVD recordings I don't see why not.

    The reason I record to HD rather than DVD is I can record a full 3 or 4 hour
    tape at normal resolution then split it in the recorder so it fits on a DVD
    without loosing any quality.
    Recording straight to DVD would require you to calculate the compression
    needed to fit your Video tape onto a DVD.
    This means for a long Video you need to compress a lot = poorer quality.

    BTW 'nothing' is Off Topic' on 24HSHD.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Roger & Kath

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: OT - transferring video recordings to DVD addendum

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "Roger & Kath" <> wrote in message
    >> Bit off topic, but does anyone iknow if it is possible to plug a video
    >> player into a DVD recorder and so record what is on the video? Or, to
    >> bring it a little more on topic, will I have to get some software to
    >> convert the signal and record via my PC?
    >>
    >> Roger C
    >>

    > Well my Hard Drive DVD recorder has 3 standard sets of Video and
    > Left/Right audio inputs.
    > I frequently record from a VCR plugged into one of these AV inputs to the
    > DVD recorders Hard drive
    > I've never done straight to DVD recordings I don't see why not.
    >
    > The reason I record to HD rather than DVD is I can record a full 3 or 4
    > hour tape at normal resolution then split it in the recorder so it fits on
    > a DVD without loosing any quality.
    > Recording straight to DVD would require you to calculate the compression
    > needed to fit your Video tape onto a DVD.
    > This means for a long Video you need to compress a lot = poorer quality.
    >
    > BTW 'nothing' is Off Topic' on 24HSHD.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Meant to mention if you burn to a DVD RW you can then put it into your PC
    and drag off the .vob files and edit them to your hearts content with
    whatever software takes your fancy.
    Then just erase the DVD RW to reuse.
    Video editing software (eg Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Elements etc)
    allows you to make much finer grained changes to your Video, add titles,
    transitions etc.
    Then burn to DVD R

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 9, 2009
  4. Roger & Kath

    thanatoid Guest

    "Roger & Kath" <> wrote in

    > Bit off topic, but does anyone iknow if it is possible to
    > plug a video player into a DVD recorder and so record what
    > is on the video? Or, to bring it a little more on topic,
    > will I have to get some software to convert the signal and
    > record via my PC?
    >
    > Roger C

    "DVD recorders" don't need software, but nor will you have much
    control over what gets recorded (ie NO editing).

    If you meant a /computer/ DVD burner, you need an internal or
    external video-recorder card/box and appropriate software,
    usually included but not necessarily the best. The total cost
    varies from $30 to $50,000.

    I recommend you visit a good computer store or read up a little
    in video newsgroups, or at the very least, Google for "video to
    computer"

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)

    thanatoid, Feb 9, 2009
  5. Roger & Kath

    Helpful guy Guest

    "Roger & Kath" <> wrote in message
    > Bit off topic, but does anyone iknow if it is possible to plug a video
    > player into a DVD recorder and so record what is on the video?

    Sure it's possible. By video I assume you mean video tape as in VHS.
    I see no reason why you shouldn't back up your VHS tapes to DVD.
    Magnetic tapes deteriorate over time and you may not be able to buy the same
    material on DVD.
    If you've already tried it and it didn't work properly, google macrovision
    eliminator.

    Helpful guy, Feb 9, 2009