    How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
    the foggiest all numbers and symbols

    Dave
    Dragon, May 12, 2004

  2. Dragon

    mo Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:4qdoc.21221$...
    > How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
    > the foggiest all numbers and symbols
    >
    > Dave

    umm torrent files are just files that link you to another file - when you
    click a torrent file it should automatically start downloading another file
    (avi,mpeg etc) - which shouldnt need any alteration...
    mo, May 12, 2004

  3. Dragon

    Darkknight Guest

    It's not a matter of converting them.
    a bit torrent file is basically a set of info/instruction for
    downloading a file. you must have the bit torrent application installed,
    you then double click the bit torrent file which will launch the
    application and start downloading the file you want from the net

    Darkknight, May 12, 2004
  4. Dragon

    mo Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    "mo" <nospam> wrote in message news:...

    > "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I

    haven't
    > > the foggiest all numbers and symbols
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > umm torrent files are just files that link you to another file - when you
    > click a torrent file it should automatically start downloading another

    file
    > (avi,mpeg etc) - which shouldnt need any alteration...

    ahh yes, and as darknight points out you will need the bittorrent software
    installed otherwise u will get a file which u cant do anythig with!

    mo, May 12, 2004
  5. Dragon

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
    > the foggiest all numbers and symbols

    Install Azureus from sourceforge.net - its one of the better bittorrent
    clients available :)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/

    Colin Wilson, May 12, 2004
  6. Dragon

    Rob Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
    complete "torrent" file.

    Rob, May 12, 2004
  7. Dragon

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    > You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
    > complete "torrent" file.

    Most .torrent files are well under 50k as all they contain is tracker
    info, file list, and checksums for the files.

    If you can`t get one to complete you`ve been VERY unlucky !

    Colin Wilson, May 12, 2004
  8. Dragon

    Justin Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    Colin Wilson wrote on [Wed, 12 May 2004 08:55:56 +0100]:
    >> You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
    >> complete "torrent" file.

    > Most .torrent files are well under 50k as all they contain is tracker
    > info, file list, and checksums for the files.
    >
    > If you can`t get one to complete you`ve been VERY unlucky !

    I imagine he's talking about the actual download started by the torrent
    file, and not the torrent file itself.
    Justin, May 12, 2004
  9. Dragon

    Rob Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    Maybe the "torrent" file is opening, but whatever files it points to
    have never been able to complete downloading on my PC. The last time I
    tried, I let the download run for 56 hours and it showed that the file
    was 17% downloaded, this using a DSL connection. It's cheaper and
    faster for me to buy original stuff and trade for stuff that is not
    commercially available!

    Rob, May 12, 2004
  10. Dragon

    Justin Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    Rob wrote on [12 May 2004 08:21:07 -0700]:
    > Maybe the "torrent" file is opening, but whatever files it points to
    > have never been able to complete downloading on my PC. The last time I
    > tried, I let the download run for 56 hours and it showed that the file
    > was 17% downloaded, this using a DSL connection. It's cheaper and
    > faster for me to buy original stuff and trade for stuff that is not
    > commercially available!

    It all depends how many people are seeding the file. If nobody is
    seeding and only leechers are connected, and the max they have is 17%.
    That will be the max you can download. BT is only as good as the people
    seeding it.

    Justin, May 12, 2004
  11. Dragon

    MA Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    > It all depends how many people are seeding the file. If nobody is
    > seeding and only leechers are connected, and the max they have is 17%.
    > That will be the max you can download. BT is only as good as the people
    > seeding it.

    Are you firewalled? Make sure you open the inbound ports and your speed may
    increase.
    MA, May 19, 2004
  12. Dragon

    Kurt Hamster Guest

    Re: Torrent files

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:56:31 +0100, MA used
    <> to say...

    >> It all depends how many people are seeding the file. If nobody is
    >> seeding and only leechers are connected, and the max they have is 17%.
    >> That will be the max you can download. BT is only as good as the people
    >> seeding it.

    >Are you firewalled? Make sure you open the inbound ports and your speed may
    >increase.

    Some ISPs are also choking some of the standard torrent client ports so
    it can sometimes be worthwhile changing the default port.
    Kurt Hamster, May 19, 2004